Advertising Woes

Cube

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my research:

In April 2008, it was announced that Brown would not be starring in any more Halifax adverts, with him instead taking a role in its public relations department.[1]

The campaign itself has proved to be one of the most popular and effective ad campaigns ever produced in the UK. In 2008, Green and Betts left DLKW and, although a new campaign has recently been released, popular opinion is less than enthusiastic.

What can we say, watching shit eating grin ladies holding headphones with one hand isn't what the customers want.

They want Extra.

Unskippable trailers on DVDs/Blurays piss me off. Can't they just take my money, give me a movie and not try and sell me some other shit?

Adverts at the bottom of YouTube videos annoy me as well. As if plastering the rest of the site isn't enough, they've got to get in the way of the videos now as well? Twats. Some videos even have adverts play before they let you watch the video now. I hate how adverts are slowly getting worse and worse.

These things! ARGH! So frustrating!

Pretty much every advert annoys the fuck out of me. There's maybe one in a thousand that is decent, but the rest just make me want to shake people and tell them there is more to life than doing what people tell you to dooooo...

Apathetic lethargy tangental diversion; aarg.

I Know it's off topic but one of the best adverts has to be the Malibu - Dont take life seriously adverts.

Man - Excuse me i want to buy a Melon!

Stall man - That melon is for display purposes only sir!!!

Man - I just want to buy a melon :(

class

I have a DVD (Charlie Wilson's War) where to get to the DVD menu or film you have to watch a four minute advert about HIV in Africa. You can not skip it or fast forward it.

I think this review on Amazon sums it up well.

The compulsory - unavoidable, unskippable, un-fast-forwardable, unstoppable - Gwyneth Paltrow-fronted UNICEF advert (followed by a juvenile anti-piracy diatribe) at the beginning of the DVD are insulting to people who have paid to watch Charlie Wilson's War and quite spoil the start of the show.

It'd be difficult to exaggerate just how annoying I found it to have control of my DVD player taken away from me by some charity, who as a direct result have slipped well down my mental list of good causes for promoting themselves in this intrusive way. I wouldn't have bought the film (even for a miserable £3.61 delivered) if I'd known.

In fact, I was so annoyed with being hectored in this way that I threw the DVD away just in case I was ever tempted to watch it again.

Which is a pity, because the film's not bad, if historically unreliable, and would have warranted three stars but I want to bring the average down as much as possible so one star it is.

The new Dell advert makes no sense.

It's telling you that you should lighten the load of your kids backpacks by getting them a laptop. Then, at the end, with the example of a person with the laptop, she gets home from school, throws her bag on the sofa and then goes to a desk where the laptop is and has been.

LOGIC ERROR

It's telling you that you should lighten the load of your kids backpacks by getting them a laptop. Then, at the end, with the example of a person with the laptop, she gets home from school, throws her bag on the sofa and then goes to a desk where the laptop is and has been.

LOGIC ERROR

Maybe it's saying they don't have to take the whole library home with them because they have the laptop at home?

But you're right it is a bit off.

LOGIC ERROR

I know what you mean. So basically they're implying she did fuck all at school, and she remembers everything that she was meant to have worked on so she can do it at home.

Isn't a laptop heavier than what kids carry with them? And isn't it rather unsafe to let them walk to/from school with a laptop on them?

They went hardcore on what kids use, footage of a kid putting a massive globe into his school bag etc.

I think we should put more advert videos in this thread, Rez's "alternative" Bang ad find was class.

I'm not sure if there are any more ads that seriously annoy me, but i shall give it a go. With video only though

Alternative one, i know the original is a tad annoying

And the one advert that really p's me off, are those bloomin Windows 7 adverts

IT WAS NOT YOUR F'N IDEA!!!! None of these Windows 7 ads/features were any of the public's ideas, so why say it is!!!!.

Edited by Jimbob

Ah Envirophone. No one gives a shit about helping the environment, they want the money. Plain and simple.

And I daresay the only way you'll recieve anywhere near £150 is if it's the latest model you bought earlier that day for £400. Even the black dude looks like he's about to crack up he knows the bullshit he's spouting.

Ah Envirophone. No one gives a shit about helping the environment, they want the money. Plain and simple.

And I daresay the only way you'll recieve anywhere near £150 is if it's the latest model you bought earlier that day for £400. Even the black dude looks like he's about to crack up he knows the bullshit he's spouting.

Except i got £107 for my old N96. And that is over 2 years old. And it wasn't from Envirofone or Mazuma.

The Nokia N96? Was that recently?

Because you could get £72.03 worth of Wonga from Envirophone.

Got rid of it a month or so ago, before the meet. Envirofone offered that much then, and still do today. Didn't go with them.

Oh, i forgot about this one

I heard that the Frosties Kid tried to kill himself after being bullied for that add :/

Anyway, so many crappy adds which aren't as much annoying as they are just bad. Those cleaning product adds drive me nuts, just over the simple fact that some business woman randomly enters your house out of nowhere yet the owner of the house is happy because their clothes are clean! What!?

I remember a while ago, the one add that drove me crazy was that Jessica Simpson one for some face cream to help your skin. In the add, she talks like "Well, when I was young I had such bad skin and I got so embarrassed especially when I had to do a concert or sign auto-graphs...but now my life is perfect because I used ______ cream *big fake smile *" Argh!! The worst part was that it lasted for over 4 minutes long :(

Enough with annoying adds though. One of the best things ever :D ...

Oh and the amount of sexism against men in adds is shocking!

EDIT: Whoops. Sorry Diageo, I think we both wrote our comments at the same time so I didn't see yours

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!