N-Europe

Studio Ghibli

Ashley

107onz4.jpg

The second biggest animation studio in the world (probably?). I've just ordered the Ponyo Blu-Ray/DVD combi (£8.50 at Tesco online!) so I thought I'd start a thread. PONYO LOVES SOSUKE!

Everyone's favourite (or should we just say nobody likes Earthsea and move on?)? Other conversation points?

I think Grave of the Fireflies may be my favourite just because its fucking brutal. So devastating and yet wonderful.

And I'm torn as to what to watch tonight. Inspired by my Ponyo purchase I want to watch a Ghibli but can't decide what. Part of me wants to watch The Cat Returns even though I know its meh I want to watch it for some reason...that or Spirited Away. As much as I love Grave I'm not in the mood to die a little on the inside.

Edited by Ashley

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spirited Away wins overall I think. Howl's is best for animation, and Totoro for cuteness, but Spirited Away just has so much atmosphere combined with a good (though confusing) story. As for Ponyo, I watched it for the first time the other day (was going to see it when it was showing in Tokyo, but my friends didn't want to see it without subs), and found it a little disappointing if anything, although it was still a cute little story. Just not quite up to the usual Ghibli standard.

Not seen all of the Ghibli films but I've seen bits and pieces of some, like Grave of the Fireflies and some of the other earlier ones, but seen a few fully. Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle and Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

I really need to sit down and watch some of the others fully as the bits I've seen of the others were interesting enough.

I love Spirited Away, and I would class it as one of my all time best animations, but I honestly think my favourite is Princess Mononoke. Was the first of the Ghibli films I watched and I just love the whole thing through the animation to the story and the characters, especially the whole girl-brought-up-by-wolf-gods thing (and that's going to annoy me for the rest of the night as I try to remember her name). To me, it feels epic but at the same time, contained which is an extremely hard thing to do as it gives a sense of freedom within the story but at the same time stops the film from feeling too sparse and empty. If people know what I mean.

Also a big fan of Laputa. It doesn't get enough recognition I feel. Been awhile since I've watched it but the story isn't that bad from the vague bits I remember.

Really, I just need to sit down and watch them all again.

I'm gonna watch Only Yesterday tonight. It's not close to the studios best output, but I've never seen anything like it from a studio that deals in animated features. Quite special.

My favourite has to be between Grave and Totoro, because it's the basis on which I decide the extent of my friendship with someone. If they don't love em, they gotta go =p.

especially the whole girl-brought-up-by-wolf-gods thing (and that's going to annoy me for the rest of the night as I try to remember her name).

San.:awesome:

I completely forgot about Castle in the Sky. Quite good.

Totoro - So charming even a miserable misanthrope like The Bard loves it.

I quite like Only Yesterday actually. Not watched it in ages but yeah, its certainly different.

Speaking of Laptua:

5813_110978466492_536116492_2580707_7860665_n.jpg

It's not my absolute favourite but one worth a mention is Porco Rosso. There's an odd moment that happens to you about halfway through, when Porco is making a break to escape the Italian Gestapo in his new seaplane and you're really getting into the action of it all, when it suddenly hits you: You're watching a movie about a pig. A pig that flies seaplanes.

I saw Ponyo at the cinema.

IT'S HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

Ahem. That's the only Ghibli film I've seen, but I very much enjoyed it. I was checking out Play.com yesterday for prices, is there not a boxset released or planned for the Ghibli collection?

I need to see them with open eyes. I've seen Spirited Away about 3 times, but years ago, and Princess Mononoke in art at school about 4 years ago or something.

I liked them enough.

I'm iffy with anime in general though, the atmosphere has to be just right for me to like it.

Oh fuck, I've seen The Cat Returns. That was shit. I liked it up until the main story started with the shit characters and cats. IIRC.

The last good anime thing I watched was The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. That's not Ghibli though is it?

Actually, I'm not sure if it's considered a strictly Ghibli production, but Castle of Cagliostro has to be one of the best. I think I'm gonna watch that after Only Yesterday. YES! Ghibli niiight.

Yeah its not Ghibli (but is Miyazaki) but t'is good. Had it on DVD for about two years and just purchased it for collectionist reasons then watched it and was surprised.

I saw Ponyo at the cinema.

IT'S HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

Ahem. That's the only Ghibli film I've seen, but I very much enjoyed it. I was checking out Play.com yesterday for prices, is there not a boxset released or planned for the Ghibli collection?

Not an official one. You can buy unofficial ones on ebay but they're dodgy (even though they look nice). My friend got one and the quality is poor, the languages are all over the place etc

Oh fuck, I've seen The Cat Returns. That was shit. I liked it up until the main story started with the shit characters and cats. IIRC.

The last good anime thing I watched was The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. That's not Ghibli though is it?

I rewatched this last night. It was okay, or at least what I was in the mood for at the time; something uncomplicated. Humourous moments and Kristen Bell voice always wins. Plus I like the cat mannerisms which I appreciate more than the last time I watched it as I've been living with cats for a year.

Bit of a rip off of the teddy from Toy Story 3.lol

You're a bit of a rip off of Adam Sandler.

I first got into Ghibli cos my sister had Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, and I gotta say I prefered Princess Mononoke(don't get me wrong, I loved Spirited Away, but preferred PM). I may be biased somewhat however, as I've seen Spirited Away the least of all my Ghiblis, as the disc was cruelly scratched like...shit, about 6 years ago when I was watching it at work. I'm also quite a fan of Nausicaa, I think ones like Spirited Away and Ponyo are a bit too sugary for me, not enough of a bit of evil in them for my liking :p

As for what to watch, watch Pom Poko!

Edited by Rummy

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!