N-Europe

Donkey Kong 64

I loved it, but due to having to complete the original DK Arcade twice I never got to see the final boss. I collected 101% of the bananas.

Although after replaying Banjo-Tooie recently, I doubt that I could play through it again.

I loved it, but due to having to complete the original DK Arcade twice I never got to see the final boss. I collected 101% of the bananas.

Although after replaying Banjo-Tooie recently, I doubt that I could play through it again.

Yeah I remember once of my mates simply couldn't do it so leant it to me to do for him which I did and I felt like a gaming daddio!

Yeah I remember once of my mates simply couldn't do it so leant it to me to do for him which I did and I felt like a gaming daddio!

When I completed it the first time I was overjoyed as it took ages. Then then the game told me that I needed to play a harder version of it.

I posted my thoughts on DK 64 somewhere else on this forum, can't remember which thread though. I loved it back in the day, didn't mind the "collect-a-thon" (well yeah, being a Rare fan huh ;)). Although I also don't know I if could play through it now. It had some very nice level designs, I especially love the waterlevel, with the lighthouse. I never had any troubles with the arcade machine, though I couldn't get the banana from the mechanical fish.. That was the only one I really hated. It took a long time to get another attempt at it.. Years after I got the game, I finally gave it another few goes, and finally got it. It was the last banana I had to get, apart from the 2nd race with the owl, but that one was easy, I simply never really tried it because I was frustrated with that fish.. Then after going through one of the most epic boss fights in gaming history again (also a Rare trademark), I finally got to see the extra ending.

I glued it into my N64 slot, played it religiously with my banana coloured N64 controller and then realized that it was equally as good as it was disappointing. I'd had 3D DK dreams since DKC back in '94. It was a let down due to my love for DKC 1/2/3 and how they got rid of certain kongs, but it was still good fun. (Although Banjo was Rare's best 3D platformer on the N64).

Still, shame it's not on the VC :-/

I don't remember much about it, yet i remember loads about Banjo Kazooie, so i think Banjo must have pwned it.

Same here. I remember some glimpses of the game but I don't remember any levels or anything. I don't even know if I ever got to the final boss.

• 2 weeks later...

I really need to give this game a second chance - I probably only got like 40% of the way through the game when it was released. I wasn't a big fan of 3D platformers back in the day, probably because it wasn't as simple as going from left to right.

However, given that many modern games involve following a linear path, the urge to return to some 64-style platforming/adventure is high!

DON-KEY KONG! *Monkey screech*

If you go for all the bananas in this game, you won't look back fondly. I did this a couple of years ago and found it such a tiring grind, constantly switching monkeys for this and that. Banjo Tooie was a bit like this but not as bad.

They worked out that by not letting you grab everything in one run through they could artificially extend the length of the game. Not fun. :mad:

This game seriously pissed me off because I couldn't get past the classic donkey kong arcade game levels right near the end of the game. I knew I was so close to completing the game, but couldn't, and I used to be quite a completionist.

Got fed up with it and sold it, or else I'd probably go back and do it now... but tbh it wasn't that much of an enjoyable game anyways.

It was a let down that it was effectively Banjo Kazooie (but boring) dressed as DK, which as a franchise deserves more than that!

This game seriously pissed me off because I couldn't get past the classic donkey kong arcade game levels right near the end of the game. I knew I was so close to completing the game, but couldn't, and I used to be quite a completionist.

Got fed up with it and sold it, or else I'd probably go back and do it now... but tbh it wasn't that much of an enjoyable game anyways.

It was a let down that it was effectively Banjo Kazooie (but boring) dressed as DK, which as a franchise deserves more than that!

You're coming out with all sorts of gold lately - I couldn't agree more! Banjo Kazooie was truly awesome whereas I always found DK a chore on the two attempts that I tried to play through it. It really lacked the charm of the DKC series too!

I played through Donkey Kong 64 last year and, to be honest, it was just OK..

I collected everything and enjoyed it a decent amount but it definitely wasn't a game that could challenge the quality of the Donkey Kong Country titles.. or Banjo-Kazooie, which is one of my favourite games :hehe:

I have had Banjo-Tooie in my collection since Christmas 2007 and have only dipped into it for a few hours in that time :hmm: So far, it is nowhere near as enjoyable as the original game and suffers from many of the problems that could be levelled at DK64 such as the emphasis on swapping characters with lots of things to collect..

DK is one of those games that I loved but like Diddy Kong Racing and Banjo Kazooie - I only ever got so far and then found it brick hard to progress any further. I need to revisit them and try again from scratch.

• 3 weeks later...

Started playing this again with the intention of finally completing the bugger - got around 20 bananas at the mo. It's certainly a good game and there's some nice aspects. For one, it's very big on exploration and the levels are quite massive. However, the worlds seem so uninspired and there's no ambience or charm.

I always liked the weapons and instruments but it does kinda suck that everyone follows the same format. Like some shoulda got instruments, some should got weapons, some shoulda got X amount of powers. Everyone too similar really.

Just my two cents!

• 3 years later...

I've been in a bit of a gaming slump lately, with nothing really grabbing me and pulling me in. I decided to set up the old N64 ( rebought one last year and started collecting the games off ebay ) and play around with some games that I enjoyed as a youngster.

I put this on the other day and man is it a mess. Graphically it was always going to look a bit ropey, I mean it's the N64, which looked a bit of a blurry mess even back then. I figured it was because I had it running on the HDTV so I popped up the attic and dragged down a portable CRT TV. It still looked a bit pants. I played Wrestlemania 2000 last year and the graphics on that didn't bother me but this...

Anyway, once I got over the graphics I started playing the game properly and found the framerate to be terrible. I was walking around as DK and then did his swing move a couple of times ( enemies were kicking around ) and it felt like I was walking/swinging through treacle.

With me using dual stick pads for so long my hand kept looking for the other analogue stick to move the camera around. It took some time to get used to hitting the shoulder button every time I wanted to adjust it.

I only played up until I rescued Diddy but I will try playing through it some more over the weekend to see if I can get to grips with it. Saying that, I have No Mercy and Mischief Makers there calling my name out and the latter I have never played before!

It's a shame, as I loved this as a kid. It was never as good as the DKC games but it still held a special place in my heart. I even got 101% back in the day and remember the ending with the dolphin console tryouts. :D

I put this on again last night and after fiddling with the TV settings I finally got it looking half decent.

I was just plodding along, doing the first level with my newly unlocked Diddy. I couldn't for the life of me find the 5 missing red bananas I was after and spent half an hour or so looking for them. It then hit me. The game had got its hooks into me again! I ended up finishing the first world with Donkey and Diddy and then heading to the second world to get Tiny, before calling it a night.

I've woke up this morning, got ready and then have went straight back on this. I unlocked Lanky and have went back to the first world to clear it with my two new characters.

When I unlocked Lanky I instantly tried to do his handstand move. Ok, so I hadn't unlocked it yet but it's crazy the things you remember. I always used that move when I was Lanky, just to get around faster and my brain clearly remembers. Strange, I can't for the life of me think what I did I work on Monday but this was as clear as day. :D

I don't recall Candy being so suggestive. Then again, it's probably just my twisted adult mind at work. She walks out with and starts going on about melons and tells me to come closer and she will teach me to use my instrument.:laughing:

So, yeah, I'm really into this now. :)

I actually don't remember a lot of the content of this game (only played it through once but did fully complete it) but I do remember enjoying it for the most part. I liked switching characters and all the worlds... the humour was pretty good too I think. I do remember getting a bit bored when I went back to collect everything but that was after the main game anyway so I had nothing to work for except 100% completion. I see this game gets a lot of hate from people but I always liked it. It is actually the only Donkey Kong game I've played though.