N-Europe

Return of the Dreamcast (XBLA & PSN)

Cube

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those people asking for add-ons, extras and graphical updates I would prepare to be disappointed.

SEGA will want to make money very quickly off this and they can hide behind giving you an "authentic" experience so they have no reason to put extra work or money into the project.

They will create an emulator which will work for the PS3 and X360 and then in simple terms attach a ROM of the original disc to it. Only very small details will have to be removed, like VMU compatability.

From what I played a few years ago, Sonic Adventure has aged surprisingly well in the Sonic bits. Knuckles and Tails are ok too. But the other characters...not so much. Still at 800 points..I might get this. Only thing is, that Cao feature which I liked will lose much in translation with the absence of a VMU. Oh well.

What I really can't wait for is Jet Set Radio. I love that game, it's well in my top ten of all time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gameplay:

Ah memories!!

Used to love getting the speed boost, getting that music, and all the jingles that quickly followed as you sped through check points and got the 1-Up! :D

Holy shit. I remember when I got my Dreamcast. I thought the graphics in this game were amazing. I think it's my favourite Sonic game, it actually had a pretty awesome story/bad guy, too.

Holy shit. I remember when I got my Dreamcast. I thought the graphics in this game were amazing. I think it's my favourite Sonic game, it actually had a pretty awesome story/bad guy, too.

It still stands up pretty well today, especially if you compare it to say... Sonic 2006 which basically tried to emulate the formula and kinda failed plus had an annoying story/plot 'twist' at the end.

Sonic Adventure is the 'real deal' as it's the first proper 3D Sonic game - Sonic 3D doesn't count so shush! - that managed to successfully combine many classic elements from the series and make them work well in 3D, the hub seems quite basic and uninspiring at first but it ends up coming into its own when you get to properly explore it.

Not forgetting the tons of replay value it has too, especially if you get the DX version as collecting the 130 emblems unlocks even more, plus mission mode etc... the only thing missing from the XBLA/PSN versions are the unlockable Sega Game Gear titles but lets face it, most of them were pretty bad compared to the sublime MD games so it's not a huge loss especially when you consider you gain achievments and leaderboards. :)

*Edit*

Gameplay:

Also... whoever's playing this 'trial' version of the game is crap at it! I know it's just to show people what the game is like but dammmmmn! they made Sonic lose more rings than a recently robbed jeweler! :laughing: They may have ended on 200+ but it's posible to get loads more than than and in about half the time.

Edited by S.C.G

You may think you want Crazy Taxi, but the controls feel dreadful now. They're just too awkward, you have to properly wreck your thumb to be able to succeed. Plus, some of the challenges are nigh on impossible.

There's one called Crazy Zig Zag. The first segment asks you to reach the exit in a ridiculous time. Probably the most frustrating level in anything ever, but managed to do it in the end.

Then Crazy Zig Zag 2 unlocked. It made me furious. You have to do the same thing but do a Crazy Drift stop at each corner, so as to come to a halt in the miniscule slither of parking area the passengers give you.

I deny anyone here to have the cheek to say they've done it. Unfortunately, there's no Youtube videos of the actual level, though there is a similar one of a Crazy Zig Zag level in the sequential game, but the person is using a special unlock vehicle.

You can't help but love the 'It's party time, let's have some fun!' lines when you're navigating the menus. Partly because the menu music in this game is the worst in any game ever - it's just a chugging engine put on repeat.

Hey hey heyyy, it's time to make some currazy money! - Are ya ready?

Here we GO!

"YAH YAH YAH YAH YAHH!!!"

I'd agree that Crazy Taxi hasn't aged that well in terms of controls but in terms of fun I'd wager that it still holds up, unfortunately the original soundtrack for the arcade versions is being removed I believe? due to shit licensing issues and whatnot, still that doesn't stop you from using your own music with it on the XBLA version but I know it'll be a blow to some.

I'm much more looking forward to Jet Set Radio though tbh...

Downloaded Sonic Adventure.

It's ace! Sure it hasn't aged the best, the character voice animation is terrible (i did think that at the time of original release though!) Still love the songs in the game. In game graphics are bit shit but the cut scenes r still pretty good. Also it's quite glitchy.

Only thing im dissapointed with is no widescreen support! Dam side borders.

Overall though i am happy with purchase, i new what to expect kinda thing.

Here is hoping they bring out Sonic Adventure 2 as well as i thought that was loads better than SA!

It's ace! Sure it hasn't aged the best, the character voice animation is terrible (i did think that at the time of original release though!) Still love the songs in the game. In game graphics are bit shit but the cut scenes r still pretty good. Also it's quite glitchy.

Here is hoping they bring out Sonic Adventure 2 as well as i thought that was loads better than SA!

Story is really the only thing the original Sonic Adventure beats Adventure 2 in, well in my opinion anyway and not because Shadow is in it do I say that. Got a little distracted from Sonic adventure currently but it's a game I've had no problem getting back too and enjoying it so i can see myself coming back to it soon.

Story is really the only thing the original Sonic Adventure beats Adventure 2 in, well in my opinion anyway and not because Shadow is in it do I say that. Got a little distracted from Sonic adventure currently but it's a game I've had no problem getting back too and enjoying it so i can see myself coming back to it soon.

Yeah, overall SA2 is a better package, level design etc etc, i found more replayabilty in the second and the levels more memorable (i can still remember a lot of the levels even now!). Only thing i was disappointed in was that tails was in a machine... I liked to fly around with him!

And the second never had you playing as Big (who ever thought THAT was a good idea for a sonic game?)

EDIT: One thing i don't remember noticing when i first played SA was how my tunes are remixes from Sonic 3D!! I'm noticing it a lot now!!

Edited by Mike1988uk
Added Text!

The dialogue and voice acting are quite bad, starting to question why I was upset they replaced the old actors now, maybe it's because I'm used to the 4kids actors now though, but they're getting rid of most of the new actors again, but the bad dialogue is part of the reason why I like it so much. You don't really notice the borders once you get into it so I'm not bothered about no widescreen.

Story is really the only thing the original Sonic Adventure beats Adventure 2 in

Yeah, Chaos was a great enemy, although SA2's last story was pretty cool.