NEurope
Oxigen_Waste

Your favorite word

My favourite at the moment is propensity. Starting to replace daily average words with that >.<

Facetious....partially because it has got every vowel in it, in order, but also because I'm always being facetious

Also, if you want to be a pedant who wishes to include y as a vowel, you could have facetiously, as in "Joe is acting facetiously"

partially because it has got every vowel in it

I preffer simultaneously. Because it's ironic that it uses all 5 vowels (5 and a half, to be precise... as Y is a semi-vowel) ... simultaneously. Fun, ainnit?

Edited by Oxigen_Waste

Classical Ainu aejajkotujmasiramsujpa - "I keep swaying my heart afar and toward myself." (with applicative voice, i.e. the swaying must be done over something explicitly stated).

Russian yabloko - "apple."

Japanese gyakuten - often translated as "turn-around," but it's closer to Kuhn's term "paradigm shift."

Yup'ik Inuit tuntussuqatarniksaitengqiggtuq - "He had not yet said again that he was going to hunt raindeer."

I'll post some others if I remember them or where to re-look them up. And I'm sure there are some good English ones that I can't think of at the moment.

Wow, lots of people throwing down the big boy words in this thread.

Inertia has always been a nice word to me, and I've always been meaning to keep a note of words I love but I never do.

CELLAR DOOR!

(no, not really. Not at all.)

Ah, lots of good ones already taken. I'll see if I can remember any of the ones I like ...

Halikarnassos is great. I once got it stuck in my head like a line from a song. Was very strange.

Plethora simply because I never knew what it meant till the other day and it literally stuns my heart.

I've got a fondness of the word Excellent, for some reason. I think it looks nice when written down, and it just sounds lovely to say. Also, it makes me think of Bill and Ted!

Another one is Professional, where my Mum was ranting and raving a few months ago and called somebody a "Professional Bastard." I never laughed so much in my life. Gained so much more love for that word since that day. Hahahah.

Swimming is lovely when written down/said, as it gives the impression of the action itself. Similar with Loop. I just imagine Wonder Woman trapping someone really gently in her lasso as someone says it.

Can I join in with clever words?

onomatopoeia but more because of its meaning, and that its dire to spell - I hated that one in English class :heh:

Marvelous. I love just swilling it around my mouth. Mmmmmaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrv-e-lousssss.

Concuss has always been one of my favorites, and I couldn't think of it earlier today.

Clunge

C L U N G E

Say it out loud

We have a winner.

I'd like to throw in floccinaucinihilipilification which I have been able to pronounce since I heard it on Wheel of Fortune nearly 20 years ago.

I prefer cunting to straight forward cunt.

But if we're going for foreign:

Italian - sbaglio (mistake) as it rolls off the tongue quite nicely. And sounds like a kids cereal.

Japanese - kamikakushi ('hidden by gods' / spirited away) which again just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Not when you hear it every other sentence for three years :heh: