Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Smoking Ban

Kirkatronics

I know it's an old subject, but i feel it makes a good discussional topic.

It was a few years a go now, even before i could legally drink, but i still remember goin to the pub with friends and having a ciggerette and a pint.

I personally think that smoking areas should be allowed aslong as its clear, and away from non smokers.

I atleast think it should be allowed in pubs, especially working mens clubs.

What are your views on this?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I think this is still a relevant topic.

As many other countries and cities - including Shanghai, are instituting smoking bans in public places, the difference to air quality and atmosphere is noticeable.

Case in point: when Mrs Iun and I revisited the homeland at Christmas, we were so wonderfully and pleasantly surprised that the smoking ban in restaurants was being properly implemented. When I left the UK, pubs were still full of that acrid blue smoke everywhere, and you left smelling like crap. In Shanghai, almost everyone smokes, and it shits up clothes, hair and your throat in all the pubs and restaurants.

I don't piss in your lungs, I don't want your second hand smoke in mine.

Actually arab, there are a lot more things that are more disgusting, like your grandmother attempting to fellate a donkey whilst massaging feces and puke into a baby's eyeballs.

I'm a fan of E-Prime.

ANYWAYONTOPIC!

I am a smoker, but also a fan of the smoking ban -- to some extent.

There are many positives to the ban; not smelling of the stuff -- even as a smoker, there's a noticable difference between smelling of my own tobacco and smelling of 150 people's smoke.

I smoke less now that I have to forcibly get up and leave the room.

When I do go to the smoking area there are people there that I immediately have something in common with, that I can have a conversation with -- the social aspect of smoking prevails.

I don't get burnt by wailing cigarettes during gigs.

But there are negative aspects to the ban! *dun dun dunnn*

Some ridiculous places where there isn't really a reason to not smoke - train stations and bus stops. While it it a common sense or courtesy call to not blow smoke in the faces of nearby people, that an open-air train station doesn't cater at all for smokers is backwards. Many other countries do -- even if it's not a paper-based law, let the smokers go to the ends of the platform and smoke! I've had a couple of instances around the time the ban came into place where I had a conductor/train station employee traipse all the way up teh platform to see me at the VERY END of the station smoking to tell me to put it out because I am harming others, when I am so very clearly not.

Work vans, where it is illegal to smoke in a work vehicle with another employee in there, even if they are smokers, is ridiculous.

You aren't allowed to have 'smokers only' pubs/clubs. If a pub has a separate room (ventilationseparatetoo), then why aren't they allowed to instigate smoker's policies?

The thing about 'laws' is that they never regress, only plod on. Situations for smokers are only going to get worse rather than fairer.

People assume that smoking is worse than car pollution, which is silly. Since the smoking ban I've had more instances of members of the public accusing me of giving them cancer - either while i walk down the street, while I stand against a wall or -- what's worst! -- when sitting on a park bench miles away from them, where they walk all the way up to me ONLY TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE CANCER I HAVE APPARANTLY GIVEN THEM FOR WALKING UP TO ME...

But, after all this, I have to say if you wanted to make a thread/smoking thread you could've at least waited for something decent to arise in the news, as this is old news with nothing additional to any of the previous threads we've had. I'm just drunk.

While I never really was able to "smell smoke" when everyone complained about it cause both my parents smoked and I was used to it, it's (the ban) only a good thing, really. People who smoke aren't having the right to smoke taken away, they just have to do it away from other people inside. Which is fair.

---

Arab, what you said was ridonkulus.

But there are negative aspects to the ban! *dun dun dunnn*

Some ridiculous places where there isn't really a reason to not smoke - train stations and bus stops. While it it a common sense or courtesy call to not blow smoke in the faces of nearby people, that an open-air train station doesn't cater at all for smokers is backwards. Many other countries do -- even if it's not a paper-based law, let the smokers go to the ends of the platform and smoke! I've had a couple of instances around the time the ban came into place where I had a conductor/train station employee traipse all the way up teh platform to see me at the VERY END of the station smoking to tell me to put it out because I am harming others, when I am so very clearly not.

Work vans, where it is illegal to smoke in a work vehicle with another employee in there, even if they are smokers, is ridiculous.

I think, perhaps, the idea of a blanket ban at train stations is because if you say "okay you can smoke at the end" you're going to get people edging closer, particularly if its raining or something some people may be inclined to stand under the cover with everyone else. Lord knows there have been numerous times when I've been at a train station and people have smoked.

Furthermore if you say "its okay at an open-air station" it will only complicate things. Some people may then think (or play dumb) that its okay at any station. And what about mixes like I believe Sheffield is? The platforms are open-airish but there is cover (making it more akin to indoor) and obviously the main station part is indoor.

I think the work vehicle thing is to protect the condition of the vehicles. Work vehicles are often rented out (except work vans which I presume are flat out purchased and passed around). And I presume there's some public face aspect to it.

One thing that irks me is the pubs that come out onto streets and have their smoking section right outside the door. It doesn't really help as anyone leaving/entering the pub will get blasted with smoke, and anyone walking past will as well. It may not always be possible to have it elsewhere but, for example, there's a pub down the road that has a car parking space that's off the main street but still adjacent to the pub. Could have it there.

But umm yeah, smoking is ick :p But each their own.

I like the smoking ban in pubs, and especially train stations and bus stops. It doesn't matter if they're open-air or not. I still have a coughing fit when someone near me is smoking. And a lot of people don't have the common sense or courtesy to smoke in the right areas.

I'm happy that the ban's there from a personal standpoint, but to step back and observe it, it's a little sad that some basic human freedom has been lost. Remember when there were ash trays in the back of chairs on coaches? Or when the cigarette light on a plane actually spent some time not lit up? Heck, cartoon characters used to chew tobacco. It's almost weird now just to think that the world was ever like that.

But as I say, since I don't smoke it's certainly much nicer to be able to relax in a pub without suffering the smell of second hand smoke.

Smoking is a ridiculous habit. In 50 years time people will look back and wonder how it ever got popular. Probably whilst doing something equally oddball, but still.

In any case, I don't see what anyone has to lose from smoking becoming a thing of past. The quicker we're through the transition phase the better for everyone.

The less people smoke the better. I honestly don't see the appeal in it.

My parents smoked all throughout my childhood (even when mom was pregnant of me, urgh) and I've always detested the smell. I'm happy they finally came to their senses years ago and quit.

But yeah, I hate the smell of smoke and I just can't stand it. Whenever I have to go past someone who is smoking, my throat starts itching and I can't help but cough. In school it's pretty bad; since they can't smoke inside, everyone huddles up right in front of the doors. So there's a huge group of smokers and you have to find your way to the doors through the smokescreen. I have to hold my breath every time. Blergh.

I'm extremely happy that the ban is in effect. I'm asthmatic and when I used to go into restaurants, I had to eat a steak and someone else's smoke and then hearing their rattling cough and bringing up phlegm after every drag, it was disgusting! I also enjoy coming out of a pub and not stinking of smoke. There has been many times I started to choke because someone was inconsiderably smoking next to me and even when I did move, the smoke still got to me. I was so fed up of coughing and choking and now I very rarely do it and my asthma is almost gone. To be honest, if the smokers want to freeze to death outside because they want a drag on something that's killing them then it's their own fault, they shouldn't exactly bitch or moan because they want to smoke inside, they should be considerate of the people inside who want to eat or drink without inhaling their disgusting smoke.

So I'm glad! lol.

Worst thing about smokers? If you pull one in a club and they taste of it. Bleeurgh.

As a non-smoker, I'm all for the ban in public places but I can definitely see where Jay is coming from. The law needs some common sense in it. Let places have separate indoor rooms for smokers. I know a lot of bars in Glasgow now have 'outside' smoking areas which are pretty much inside.

As a non-smoker, I'm all for the ban in public places but I can definitely see where Jay is coming from. The law needs some common sense in it. Let places have separate indoor rooms for smokers. I know a lot of bars in Glasgow now have 'outside' smoking areas which are pretty much inside.

But (as Ash said with the train station) if you give people an inch they take a mile. You've just given an example of that with the "outside" smoking areas.

Also it would be much harder to police. Are the police really going to have to check the ventilation system in every pub? (going from what jay said)

While I never really was able to "smell smoke" when everyone complained about it cause both my parents smoked and I was used to it, it's (the ban) only a good thing, really. People who smoke aren't having the right to smoke taken away, they just have to do it away from other people inside. Which is fair.

---

Arab, what you said was ridonkulus.

They suddenly couldn't smoke where they could before. They had to go outside in the harsh weather conditions rather than have a room where they could go.

I'm happy that the ban's there from a personal standpoint, but to step back and observe it, it's a little sad that some basic human freedom has been lost. Remember when there were ash trays in the back of chairs on coaches? Or when the cigarette light on a plane actually spent some time not lit up? Heck, cartoon characters used to chew tobacco. It's almost weird now just to think that the world was ever like that.

But as I say, since I don't smoke it's certainly much nicer to be able to relax in a pub without suffering the smell of second hand smoke.

We can't even have pictures of ciggerettes in the media now. Kids toys used to come with cigs and stuff like that.

Smoking is a ridiculous habit. In 50 years time people will look back and wonder how it ever got popular. Probably whilst doing something equally oddball, but still.

In any case, I don't see what anyone has to lose from smoking becoming a thing of past. The quicker we're through the transition phase the better for everyone.

You think something that has been happening for thousands of years will stop in the next 50?

This is what i was thinking, people are addicted.

It's never really affected me. :)

*needs to get out more*

You aren't old enough :) Im 20, and i only just caught it.

Kids toys used to come with cigs and stuff like that.

I don't believe this.

And if so certainly not in about 50 years. And back then we used to be able to spank the receptionist on the arse and drink scotch at work. Things change :heh:

I'm sorry, but I've spent countess hours sat in either van or lorry being a drivers mate and having smoke shoved down my throat; even when the ban came into place.

It's not nice.

This was the whole point of the ban.

It wasn't to stop you smoking as such; it was to stop me having to breath that shit.

You think something that has been happening for thousands of years will stop in the next 50?

Just look at the history of opium. Smoking may not entirely disappear in 50 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's at the point of near irrelevance.

Most people smoke because it was seen as the norm or a way of gaining acceptance, either amongst their friends or their family. The more marginalised smokers become, the less acceptable the act, the less likely it is that a new generation will take it up. They'll be too busy molesting each other via Internet 2.0 or something anyway.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!