Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Switch Discussion

Ashley

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Wow

30 million next FY seems a bit of a reach, but anything close to that would be mighty impressive

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendos-game-plan-to-level-up-switch-production-1510291065

They must be confident in next years line up. Maybe Pokemon will be ready and Animal Crossing will be announced? If you add Smash Bros into the mix then they could have another great year ahead of them.

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

With my other consoles though when I plug them in I'm not worried about damaging them :p any recommended screen protectors you folks have used?

I had a sheet of floor protector pad thingies that I used on the inside of my dock. My Switch slips perfectly into it, there's absolutely no wobble and I haven't seen evidence of any damage to my screen :hehe: It all feels so much more secure than it ever did before!

17 minutes ago, Ashley said:

More questions!  Am I correct in believing that the only way to copy multiple photos (easily) to a PC is to put them on a microSD?  If so, does the microSD need to be formatted for the Switch or can I use an existing one?

Unless you want to do via Twitter/Facebook uploading, yes, it’s the only way.

You don’t need to specially format the MicroSD card though.  It just uses the standard SDXC format and will just work when put into a PC (Should all be stored in the “Nintendo” folder IIRC)

Pictures are all .jpg and videos are in h264 format; they can just be copied straight off of it no problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/11/2017 at 10:20 PM, Ashley said:

Are there even tens of apps at the moment...?  Unless you're including games.  

Even so, as was said with the PS4 - the most recently/frequent played ones are at the front so it feels fine to me but I know how ride or die you are for folders so I hope you get it so we can stop hearing you complain you are happy ;)

Yeah I meant everything, just a huge pile of icons. The problem with just frequent stuff is what about stuff you haven't played frequently but want to play? What if you forget you bought something? Or don't know what to play and want some form of filter to decide?

Fear them not doing it...

7 hours ago, dazzybee said:

Yeah I meant everything, just a huge pile of icons. The problem with just frequent stuff is what about stuff you haven't played frequently but want to play? What if you forget you bought something? Or don't know what to play and want some form of filter to decide?

Fear them not doing it...

It's taken a few years for it to come to all consoles, but I'm sure it will.

Although I'm still #teamnofolders

I haaaaate the Switch main screen, mainly because it looks just like the PS4 main screen which I also hate. A bunch of icons all just... there in a row!? Madness!

I much prefer the blocks of icons like on Wii U and Wii but I know I'm in a minority there.

Anyway, I haven't been in this thread since before I got a Switch so thought I'd give my two cents. I'm glad I waited for Odyssey. I really loved that game (for the most part, I'll get back to this) but the Switch itself is a mixed bag.

I really like the Joycons unconnected, takes me back to the freedom of the Wii days but even moreso as there's no wire between remote and Nunchuk so playing Odyssey in that format felt great and took me back to the glory days of Galaxy.

The OS I despise, but I knew I would already, and the system features are woeful. The fact you can upload a photo to Twitter and then have to view it on another device is obscene and the eShop is a joke. They sucked the life out of everything! The jaunty eShop tune on WiiU, the textured backgrounds, heck there's not even any damn Mii music. But before you shoot me down, I accept I am in a VAST minority of people that loved the WiiU and while I miss its charm, it is nice having a faster menu in general.

But yeah, system features are garbage. I was happy that when I got my Switch was the same day we got video recording but even that is lacklustre. The storage situation is also crap but again, something I knew before getting the Switch. Finally though I'm just a bit disappointed with the overall quality, I'm constantly worried about the plastic taco as my Switch seems to wobble all over the place when docked and changing a game or moving the joycon on or off. The screen is also really disappointing, especially when going from my iPad to Switch (which is a 2011 model so not even like it's something new) but I guess it is a million times better than the 3DS screen (approx.) so that's something.

Back on the Odyssey, I really loved playing the main game start to finish and I love some of the fan service. I wouldn't rate it as highly as the Galaxy games but it blows 3D World out of the water. One thing I'm not keen on though is the frequency of moons. They seem to start off as fun awesome challenges but some end up being 'Ground pound this random piece of earth' or 'do this same task again but get a higher score'. It's still a great game, but I would say the later moons feel less like Galaxy 2 green stars and more like Sunshine's blue coins.

As it stands, I'm gonna keep my Switch for now and look forward to what Nintendo may have in store for us, but there's nothing out currently aside from Mario that has me excited. I got and sold Deluxe, it's a great game but it's the exact same one I played to death until only a year ago, and I might dip into Rabbids at some point if the price comes down at all.

My overall first month with Switch - fun but uncertain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Put me in the "Switch Menu isn't as nice as the 2 previous consoles" camp as well. Apart from the small little sound effects when you select something like your profile page, the whole thing just feels soulless. I open my 3DS and it's got Folders with humourous names, badges all over the place and a random theme with music playing in the background and alternate sound effects which makes my poor little Switch menu look utterly pathetic.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm on the "I like it as well"-team. I hate music on a menu. Why should it be there at all? Also mostly play the Switch without music.

I don't use themes on the 3DS. I like a clean interface with nothing going on. My desktop on my computer only has the Bin-icon that I can't delete and a simple background. Thus, the Switch interface is really up my alley, though folders would be nice.

Yeah, I'm on the "I like it as well"-team. I hate music on a menu. Why should it be there at all? Also mostly play the Switch without music.

I don't use themes on the 3DS. I like a clean interface with nothing going on. My desktop on my computer only has the Bin-icon that I can't delete and a simple background. Thus, the Switch interface is really up my alley, though folders would be nice.
There's definitely a work around to delete the bin icon on Windows. I know because my desktop is gloriously empty.

21 hours ago, Ronnie said:

"utterly pathetic" is a bit much for a UI ??

No comments about how incredibly fast the OS is? Personally I love it. Could it have more personality, sure, but it's clean, easy to use, no bloat and as mentioned, so quick.

It's booooooorrrring! I can forgive a lot of things, but boring is not one of them, especially coming from Nintendo. As for the whole bloat thing, both my WiiU and 3DS only take a maximum of two taps to get to any piece of software. You want to get to a game you haven't played in a bit on a Switch, and you're going to the dreaded "All Software" section. It's DSi menu levels of basic, but even that had reorganisation options, atmospheric background sound and the option to have your photos appear on the top screen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

A brilliant read, couldn't agree more.

The check-list formula for openworld games is broken, a perfect illustration of how developers build a world, and then tack on gameplay to it as a secondary concern. Was Zelda's version of an openworld perfect? No but it was far more compelling, at least imo. Never before has the game given me such a feeling of adventure. So many openworld games have you doing pointless busywork and just going through the motions, not BOTW.

This is one of my favourite parts of the game...

You climb towers to unlock new sections, sure, but icons don’t automatically fill in, detailing collectibles and mini-games to fill your time; rather, you find those yourself, manually stamping the map with a variety of symbols that you determine as you go.

Also being able to climb anything is literally a game changer. Horizon's invisible walls and waist high barriers feel archaic in comparison.

• Like 4