NEurope
Daft

PSP Go

When existing gamers won't be able to play the games they've already paid for on this system. Y'know, just a bit odd that you were saying that it was as advantageous for existing customers. It really isn't. :P There's really very little advantage for existing customers with a UMD library.

The only advantage to existing users is if the hardware sales increase enough as as result to justify developers spending money on making quality software that sees a retail and digital release - but when you have an install base of 50m already and they question it, well you've got problems.

So if we are saying this device is aimed a people who don't already have a PSP, I'm failing to see what it does extra that will entice them. It doesn't look better and the functionality doesn't set it apart either.

Do PSN games go down in price after a certain point? I only ask because people purchasing a product this far into it's lifespan may be wanting to make the most of the second hand market to fill the holes in their back catalogue.

This is clearly not an option for PSP Go users, so will they be forced to pay full price for every game they ever want on top of buying a more expensive system?

Do PSN games go down in price after a certain point? I only ask because people purchasing a product this far into it's lifespan may be wanting to make the most of the second hand market to fill

Ha, another brilliant point, that I totally overlooked. While Sony set their own prices for games on this model, people are able to pick up PSP games for peanuts preowned from game stores. It seems pretty clear to me that the Go is aimed at protecting Sony's own inteests.

What's to be confused about? "This machine plays games on disc and digital copies, this smaller machine only plays digital copies." This isn't like the PS3 dropping backward compatibility with PS2 games; the devices are clearly distinguishable.

It doesn't matter even if they're distinguishable, its the newer version of the same brand.

well that will make sense... but what if they don't put kiosks everywhere where the machine is sold? it'll be problematic for people who want to exchange their UMD's for downloads if they aren't near one of these places that will supposedly have these Kiosks.

Sorry S.C.G but you are being awfully negative, this is a optional PSP to the 3000. UMD's and 3000's are still gonna be on sale, if you want to upgrade then yeah it might cost you some postage costs or something but deal with it. When iTunes+ came out you had to pay to upgrade your library, there is a trade in scheme in America where you can trade in your HD-DVD's for a blu ray copies but you have to pay postage.

This isn't just a Sony thing you know.

Ha, another brilliant point, that I totally overlooked. While Sony set their own prices for games on this model, people are able to pick up PSP games for peanuts preowned from game stores. It seems pretty clear to me that the Go is aimed at protecting Sony's own inteests.

Which brings me back to the point as to who this is aimed at.

Who doesn't mind spending a lot on a console and it's games?

That's right, hardcore gamers and early adopters - the two very categories that are already likely to own a PSP.

So even if this does convert them to "upgrade", whilst it will increase the install base, it's an artificial increase as no more games will be sold than there would have been before.

Sorry S.C.G but you are being awfully negative, this is a optional PSP to the 3000

This isn't just a Sony thing you know.

I was just pointing out that if say someone had like an old PSP with 50 UMD's and wanted to get a new PSP Go and have all their games in digital format then in that instance if there was no kiosk near them then posting them off would be quite a bit of hassle, that's all. :)

I know it's not just a Sony thing but I wasn't aware of any other examples.

Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft would like nothing more than to see the preowned game business die a fiery painful death. That's no big secret

Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft would like nothing more than to see the preowned game business die a fiery painful death. That's no big secret

Them and every other games company.

It doesn't matter even if they're distinguishable, its the newer version of the same brand.

But the Go is a separate product to the regular PSP. Different look, different name, and they're never going to advertise it as being able to play UMDs. If someone is about to spend over £100 on a handheld games machine then you'd hope they have enough foresight to know something about the thing they're buying, or at least read the back of the bloody box.

On another note, the success of the Go won't be measured by the number of units it sells but by the reception that meets the new wave of PSP software. It's already getting people talking about what was for many a forgotten format, and ultimately that's the important thing. The Go is a part of Sony's attempt at making the PSP interesting again, and with interest comes developer support and product awareness. The iPod and Wii aren't just a success because of what they can do but how they've built up public perception; they're the default, the machines everybody knows. The PSP needs to rid itself of the perception that it's a failure that no one can make money on and that's exactly what Sony are looking to do.

I like the look of the console, i like the idea i won't need to carry UMD's around and i like the idea it's even lighter then a PSP 3000! Just wish the choice was there for UMD playback though. I would have liked to trade in my old console towards it, but now i'm gonna have to keep it to play the games i've already got.

and lower prices for psp downloaded games please!

and lower prices for psp downloaded games please!

Seconded, I've allready mentioned this, if Sony want this to work then they will need to keep prices realistic.

I haven't been interested in the PSP once until I saw this device, it looks nice, and the idea of built in game storage is very attractive.

I haven't been interested in the PSP once until I saw this device, it looks nice, and the idea of built in game storage is very attractive.

Same boat as me. All I need is Sony to confirm reasonable (as in affordable for me) prices

The only way this will do well is if the developers actually back it this time, personally I dont think DS owners have anything to worry about (not that they are now anyway)

Been waiting for this for a while and I have to say I'm quite excited by the PSP for the rest of the year. Some great games coming, and with this redesign alongside it could really give the machine a new lease of life. Got rid of my original PSP a few years ago now and I've been waiting to buy a new one for a good while now. I'll definitely be getting one at launch.

The new games look amazing. Its like they unlocked something inside the PSP.

It's probably just a SOCOM thing. If it were a game less likely to award you badges or medals for in-game accomplishments then I might side with the Trophy theory — I'm fairly certain it'll happen at some point — but as is I'll say this is part of a game specific reward system and nothing more.

I'd almost be surprised if they didn't add trophies to PSP games. People love all this stuff and if there's another way to get them people are going to be even more pushed back towards PSP gaming. A very smart move if they are implementing them.

I think PSP is going to impress. They seem serious about a relaunch.