NEurope
Daft

PSP Go

Yeah £200 is way too much...theres no way thats a good price point to come in at.

Well, there was a report an analyst was 'worried' about PSP Go's pricepoint. Never know.

If it did that, that'd be amazing. Is it actually possible for any device to basically piggyback on a mobile through Bluetooth to get 3G?

I'd guess no. The mobile phone would have to act as a wireless router. Although I don't know much about Blue Tooth to be fair so I'm probably wrong. Plus they could release a new phone that works with the PSP Go.

You need a new chispet for a phone then an antenna . Not practical. I'd imagine battery would go fast! Maybe PSP2. Plus the development is something i dont see Sony funding. They need to make big changes for going mobile phone based.

But USB flash drives are like £12 for 8Gb. That's damn cheap. And Sony will be getting it in bulk.

16GB is not cheap. The cheapest 8Gb usb sticks that cost £12 are have little in common with what will be in the PSP. Has to be fast, very low voltage and rugged. It adds to the cost compared to a UMD and dont expect Sony to sell features at a loss anymore.

Heck if you want cheap go tell Ninetndo to half the price of the DSi. The PSP is very cheap for what it is. Mobile and mp3 devices charge a much bigger premium for 16gb of memory.

Edited by Choze

It doesn't make sense to have such a high price point though. On the Qore episode they mentioned developers offering smaller products etc...over PSN so then why give it such a high price point that it isn't going to hit the masses. Yes the iphone and ipod touch are as expensive but they get aware with it because of the value of the ipod/apple brand, something Sony don't have now.

It is wierd how Sony have lost that brand recognition they had back in 90's and early 00's. dwarf touched on it before. Back then if you were playing games it was always Playstation this Playstation that and certainly in my group of mates it was wierd to have a gamecube. Now its the other way round amongest casual audiences its all about the Wii and the hardcore it seems to be Xbox, Sony have a raw deal...it may be the time will soon be here to drop the Playstation brand...

In that video the Sony representative touch upon a 10 year life span. I knew that was Sony's intentsion with the PS3, but I believe he was applying that formula to the PSP. surely that can't be Sony's plan. The PSP is coming to its 5th birthday this winter (?) i'd be suprised if they can nail an extra 5 years out the PSP. 2/3 years max and we'll be desperatly hungry for an update, I'm sure we can fit in 4 more revisions within that time scale don't you sony?

In that video the Sony representative touch upon a 10 year life span. I knew that was Sony's intentsion with the PS3, but I believe he was applying that formula to the PSP. surely that can't be Sony's plan. The PSP is coming to its 5th birthday this winter (?) i'd be suprised if they can nail an extra 5 years out the PSP. 2/3 years max and we'll be desperatly hungry for an update, I'm sure we can fit in 4 more revisions within that time scale don't you sony?

They have a 10 year lifespan plan for all their consoles...not sure about PS1 but they certainly claim to have had the same plan for PS2 as they have harked on about for PS3...

2/3 years max and we'll be desperatly hungry for an update, I'm sure we can fit in 4 more revisions within that time scale don't you sony?

That's another worrying factor, how long after the launch of PSP Go! will they just opt to redesign it yet again? :/

Going by the current rate of Redesigns, I don't think we will see another redesign of the DS anytime soon if at all, but with the PSP is always seems to be almost annual updates to the hardware.

Going by the current rate of Redesigns, I don't think we will see another redesign of the DS anytime soon if at all, but with the PSP is always seems to be almost annual updates to the hardware.

Which is following the ipod model...something Sony seem keen to do..I still think in their mind they aren't in competition with the DS much like they aren't with the Wii..

Yeah only afew though, it was always go to sell loads due to GBA. vast majority were calling out the PSP as failure before it even showed up.

I don't know where you get your news from, but no they weren't - everybody was panning the DS.

The PSP was going to walk it because it was an extension of the Playstation brand, it was as powerful as the PS2, and it looked desirable. The only questionable component was the price but the media were saying that the public would accept it.

The DS was going to fail because it was weak graphically, it looked like a brick, it didn't carry the GameBoy name (and was being sold alongside it) and the games being shown were glorified tech demos at best (highlighted by the fact that the main launch title was a port of a near decade old game).

Now given all of those points happened to be true, it's not surprising that that was what they were saying. But articles predicting Sony's failure were few and far between at best. The only real substantial argument people were making was that this would be their first entry in the segment but that was quickly rebuffed by saying that the PSX was their first entry in the console market and look what that did.

I'm more curious to see how they'll price the games. People tend to point to the iPhone as an example of digital distribution success but the games there are pretty sheep and small projects, were I can't imagine them selling games such as Assassins Creed for 10£/€/$.

And to add to it, developers must be counting on PSP go sales alone for their expeceted sales, the previous 50 million PSPs are compromised which is exactly the reason they weren't selling previously.

Edited by Shino

PSP did shake things up. DS opened up the market further for the casual crowd however by DS lite. However DS always sold well compared to PSP.

It doesn't make sense to have such a high price point though. On the Qore episode they mentioned developers offering smaller products etc...over PSN so then why give it such a high price point that it isn't going to hit the masses. Yes the iphone and ipod touch are as expensive but they get aware with it because of the value of the ipod/apple brand, something Sony don't have now.

Alot of devices are expensive. Heck the PS3 is £300(sold at loss) but that doesnt stop it from selling almost as well as 360. Its not a case aiming for everyone anymore. Gaming is now more like other markets. The market is much broader than before and no one console fits all. The last thing Sony should do is copy Nintendo. PSP is not about being the cheapest. Its not a DS at all. Never will be, till they maybe reposition next hardware cycle.

With PSP GO they are aiming for something that isnt there yet. A fully downloadable console system catalogue. Its ahead of the curve. The question is will consumers bite over time? Right now most buy from brick and mortar but i am sure it will catch on long term. PSP has the audience that is more willing to download gigabytes of games.

Edited by Choze

*shrugs* if the device is £200 though no matter what it has built in, consumers are gonna want at least something for free when they purchase it so keeping downloads reasonably priced and throwing in a free PSP game or two would still be a good move surely?

Yeah £200 seems bout right... I cant see it being more than that

Bundled with a few games seems about right aswell

Dont know if I want one now :wtf: Hopefully they will announce loads of new games to persuade me to buy one

*shrugs* if the device is £200 though no matter what it has built in, consumers are gonna want at least something for free when they purchase it so keeping downloads reasonably priced and throwing in a free PSP game or two would still be a good move surely?

IMO its a fair price. Right now its aimed at early adopters of large digital downloads. You can do it on pc as well via PC PSN store and upload to PSP.

Plus will anything else have games like LBP or GT Mobile?

Edited by Choze

So the screens smaller than before, you cant play the games you already have on it unless you buy them again and its still gonna be more expencive to buy than a DS.. theres lots of PS2 ports on it and yet still no dual-analog.

Anyone wanna list the upsides?

DSI is £160 with a game

And if I'm totally honest, fuck that too.

So the screens smaller than before, you cant play the games you already have on it unless you buy them again and its still gonna be more expencive to buy than a DS.. theres lots of PS2 ports on it and yet still no dual-analog.

Anyone wanna list the upsides?

There will be a way to port your games to the new system... They wont make you pay again

And if I'm totally honest, fuck that too

True :bowdown:

There will be a way to port your games to the new system... They wont make you pay again

You realy think that would happen? seriously?

It's not an upgrade. Like Aimless said, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

I don't think it is really worth it if you already have a PSP, but if you don't then it's great. Price permitting.

I was just trying to see what there angle is.. ok you can download and play games but if there trying to market it to the people who play portable games .. most of which would already own a PSP or DS why would they wanna go get a PSP Go ?

Well I've been holding out for this, so that's one person. :heh:

I guess this is just really clutter free. It's tiny, no UMDs to carry, the battery should be miles better.

....that's all I got. :hmm: