NEurope
Daft

PSP Go

Ill field that one. They seem to be marketing it to people who are willing to play portable games but arent willing to tote around a bunch of removable media (UMD's , cartridges, etc). This makes the GO that much more portable. Also i dont own a PSP or DS so basically they are targetting me

Hopefuly that's just a prototype version, the original gameboy looks better than that thing.

That's a good point actually (carrying around games). It is a bit odd that a portable system pretty much requires a bag to carry around the games. And the PSP is worst, since you need to take the boxes as well since part of the disk is exposed.

You realy think that would happen? seriously?

Well I hope so... You already have a PSP so there must be a way to transfer your games to your PC through the PSN software then onto your new PSP Go

Well I haven't bought a handheld this gen, apart from the original DS at launch which I have since sold. I'm now ready for a new one. There have been so many things to buy games wise over the past few years I haven't thought of getting a console.

I actually like the look of this thing, and definetly interested.

I hope that the DRM isn't stuipdly restricted and the there isn't a limit on how many time you can download a game etc. I think it will be interesting how they price the software. Surely it should be slightly cheaper than retail, no box, umd and profit for the stores selling the game. Then again it can't be too cheap or sony will be underpressure from retail stores for unfair competition.

With this, i could download a full retail game (not just a retro game or a flash game) while im away, at any time of day or night and IF theres a storage issue, i can simply transfer it to my PS3 when i get home. I see the beauty. I also like the notion of getting these full games cheaper due to taking out the middle man. On the PSN, Sony always has specials and discounts going on too. I see the beauty!

I've a revolutionary suggestion: if you don't want a Go then don't buy one. This is especially true for those that already own an iteration of the PSP; this isn't a DSi situation, all models have access to the Store.

Functionality wise seemingly the only real difference between this new machine and older models is Bluetooth support. The Go isn't a successor, it's a device aimed at rekindling consumer and developer interest, interest that is just as advantageous to existing customers as new ones; more games will come out, Sony will no doubt push to transpose the success of cheaper PSN games on the PS3, and to reap the benefits all people need do is upgrade their firmware.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how on Earth is this model advantageous to existing PSP customers (ie. UMD disk owners) when they can't play their games? Seems that this is only for those haven't bought a PSP before but who are still likely to go and buy one - a VERY small proportion of gamers. This is a dick move for Sony.

Well it's not a dick move because it's a PSP option. You don't have to buy it and the 3000 will still be on sale.

Not sure if these have been posted couldn't see them, size comparisons;

psp_go_vs_psp_iphone.jpg

psp_go_vs_dsi.jpg

Not sure how accurate they are its taken from kotaku, bit of writing as well

The new PSP Go, leaked just before E3 thanks to the June issue of Sony's own Qore, is tiny little thing. Bigger than an iPhone—but not by much—and slimmer than the original PSP.

When placed side-by-side against some of the current portable gaming competition, the PSP Go illustrates just how different it is from its peers and predecessor. The screen ratio looks similar to older PSP models, but is considerably smaller in size—3.8 inches versus the PSP-3000's diagonal size of 4.3 inches or 11% smaller.

On par with than Sony's other slide-out device, the Mylo 2, from which the PSP Go looks to have borrowed some of its design choices.

The PSP Go is also pretty efficient on overall hardware footprint. The LCD screen is 0.3 inches larger than the iPhone, but thanks to the slide-out controls, doesn't have nearly the same amount of extra plastic flanking each side.

The removal of some of the PSP's original buttons (display, sound, volume) go a long way to keeping the look more efficient than earlier models.

Versus the Nintendo DSi and DS Lite, however, we see just how much smaller the device is in its open position compared to its dual-screen competition. Screen-wise, the DSi and PSP Go are closer than ever, as the former got a quarter-inch boost over the DS Lite's screen, with the Go shaving off a half-inch.

Weight-wise, the PSP Go sounds pretty light—approximately 3.8 ounces, if the 43% lighter than the PSP-3000 figure (and our math) is accurate. That makes it lighter than the iPhone (4.7 ounces) and Nintendo DSi (7.5 ounces).

Keep in mind that these PSP Go figures aren't official, so things may be slightly off. But if you need to budget pocket space for the Fall, it might be handy.

http://kotaku.com/5273302/portable-size+off-how-the-psp-go-measures-up?skyline=true&s=i

For existing PSP owners there i supposed to be some sort of service where you can exchange your UMD games for the downloadable ones at no extra cost, thing is though, would that not involve posting them off somewhere? which could incur postage costs and then the time it takes for them to send you redeem codes and even then what if one of the codes does not work?

The whole process is frought with hypothetical problems for potential migrators, it might be good for new consumers but for people who own lots of UMD's and want to upgrade then Sony will have effectively opened up a minefield.

http://n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1000940&postcount=70

Only a few pages back. :heh:

For existing PSP owners there i supposed to be some sort of service where you can exchange your UMD games for the downloadable ones at no extra cost, thing is though, would that not involve posting them off somewhere? which could incur postage costs and then the time it takes for them to send you redeem codes and even then what if one of the codes does not work?

The whole process is frought with hypothetical problems for potential migrators, it might be good for new consumers but for people who own lots of UMD's and want to upgrade then Sony will have effectively opened up a minefield.

I think they were talking about having kiosks instore.

http://n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1000940&postcount=70

Only a few pages back. :heh:

I think they were talking about having kiosks instore.

well that will make sense... but what if they don't put kiosks everywhere where the machine is sold? it'll be problematic for people who want to exchange their UMD's for downloads if they aren't near one of these places that will supposedly have these Kiosks.

I personally don't think they will offer such things...people could easily get free games as a result, I'm guessing the machine doesn't suck up the UMD afterwards so whats to stop you endlessly swapping UMDs with people?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how on Earth is this model advantageous to existing PSP customers (ie. UMD disk owners) when they can't play their games? Seems that this is only for those haven't bought a PSP before but who are still likely to go and buy one - a VERY small proportion of gamers. This is a dick move for Sony.

Games will still be coming out on UMD and even if/when that changes every PSP is able to download games from the Store. No customer is locked out of any new software that comes out, and if Sony weren't trying to reinvigorate the PSP as a platform — such as by releasing a rebranded machine that can't be cracked by your average 10-year-old with access to Google — that software wouldn't be coming out anyway.

The Go isn't a successor, it's the figurehead for Sony's renewed push behind the PSP. A "dick move", as you put it, would be not doing this as it would essentially be leaving the platform to die.

Its obviously to attract new customers, not existing customers. The existing PSP base will still have access to the same content, except they have 2 ways of getting it instead of 1. Far from dickish.

If anything, this is designed to improve software sales, not to profit from hardware.

Dickish should be reserved for the DSi, which has games and services exclusive to it

Dickish should be reserved for the DSi, which has games and services exclusive to it

Difference being that it still plays the old games. Do you really think this won't confuse the market?

Difference being that it still plays the old games. Do you really think this won't confuse the market?

Im not confused at all, but i can see where some kids grandma might pick one up along with a handful of UMDs. Either way, Sony just sold a PSP and a few more UMDs.

But seriously, im sure Sony has taken all this into account and will market it accordingly. Its their problem really, all i know is i actually want a handheld now so in that they have succeeded

Well it's not a dick move because it's a PSP option. You don't have to buy it and the 3000 will still be on sale.

It's a bad move because generally speaking this UMD-less new model applies to a very small number of people who probably currently hold little interest in the PSP; thus haven't bought one up to now. Whereas a good move would be releasing a modified system that is considered applicable to all existing customers by being compatible with existing games. See: DS lite.

Games will still be coming out on UMD and even if/when that changes every PSP is able to download games from the Store. No customer is locked out of any new software that comes out, and if Sony weren't trying to reinvigorate the PSP as a platform — such as by releasing a rebranded machine that can't be cracked by your average 10-year-old with access to Google — that software wouldn't be coming out anyway.

Not sure if you're just not getting it, but it's quite simple how this shouldn't really be an option to existing customers of regular wealth (which was what I was originally responding to; part of your post). Put simply, existing PSP owners have PSP games in UMD format; if they sold their old model to buy this, they would have a model that couldn't play the games they already have. If they didn't sell their old model, but bought the new one, they would have to spend a chunk more extra dosh to buy a new model which, like you say, is capable of doing what the existing PSPs already do.

Thus, we conclude from what we know so far that you'd have to have no PSP already or have more money than sense to have any reason to buy this. And considering there aren't people rushing to buy PSPs (last time I checked) this is a horrendously dick move by Sony.

The Go isn't a successor, it's the figurehead for Sony's renewed push behind the PSP. A "dick move", as you put it, would be not doing this as it would essentially be leaving the platform to die.

To be honest, I remember far back when PSP vs DS topics were rife and the PSP was strongly considered a contender with the DS. But since then, I've found so little to be enjoyable for the PSP. Most of the games feel like modified PS2 games, or games that I wish had appeared on the PS3 instead (FF7:CC). It's been dead to me and quite a few I know for a long time. Contrast this to the DS, where the games have moved with the times and some frankly outstanding titles have come out. The DS is easily the best system for games at the moment...its huge library of great games is frankly ridiculous. To me, though, my PSP has just become a paperweight. If Sony left it to die I wouldn't blame them...Microsoft aren't pushing a handheld console and they're doing just fine with the 360.

Edited by Sheikah

What's to be confused about? "This machine plays games on disc and digital copies, this smaller machine only plays digital copies." This isn't like the PS3 dropping backward compatibility with PS2 games; the devices are clearly distinguishable.

Not sure if you're just not getting it, but it's quite simple how this shouldn't really be an option to existing customers of regular wealth (which was what I was originally responding to; part of your post). Put simply, existing PSP owners have PSP games in UMD format; if they sold their old model to buy this, they would have a model that couldn't play the games they already have. If they didn't sell their old model, but bought the new one, they would have to spend a chunk more extra dosh to buy a new model which, like you say, is capable of doing what the existing PSPs already do.

Thus, we conclude from what we know so far that you'd have to have no PSP already or have more money than sense to have any reason to buy this. And considering there aren't people rushing to buy PSPs (last time I checked) this is a horrendously dick move by Sony.

Clearly I'm not getting it, because as far as I can tell you're complaining that Sony haven't given you a reason to buy a new machine...

For the vast majority of people that already own a PSP the Go is only relevant insofar as more games will be coming out for the machine they own due to its existence. There is no requirement to 'upgrade', their current device will be able to play everything that comes out at no extra cost.

Clearly I'm not getting it, because as far as I can tell you're complaining that Sony haven't given you a reason to buy a new machine...

Well, it was when you said this:

interest that is just as advantageous to existing customers as new ones;

When existing gamers won't be able to play the games they've already paid for on this system. Y'know, just a bit odd that you were saying that it was as advantageous for existing customers. It really isn't. :P There's really very little advantage for existing customers with a UMD library.

Although, to be honest, I'm considering what happened with the DS-> DS Lite here. I do appreciate having had the opportunity to buy a DS Lite as it was a great upgrade from the clunky old phat. I wouldn't have minded if Sony had still done a major design revamp (although I question the design of this) while also keeping the option to play old games. Instead of making something so attractive only to those without a UMD library. Well, I guess what I'd like to say is that I would have liked this had I still any interest for the PSP. :p

For the vast majority of people that already own a PSP the Go is only relevant insofar as more games will be coming out for the machine they own due to its existence. There is no requirement to 'upgrade', their current device will be able to play everything that comes out at no extra cost.

Well that's a huge assumption that this model will directly result in games that would never have been envisioned somehow becoming envisioned and becoming developed. But then there's also the question whether it will directly result in stellar titles being produced and not mediocre ones. Who knows?

Edited by Sheikah

Thus, we conclude from what we know so far that you'd have to have no PSP already or have more money than sense to have any reason to buy this.

Theres a large market of people who have no PSP and also a large market of people who have more money than sense. Sony is targetting these people. If your saying that existing PSP users shouldnt buy one, then your absolutely right, because they already have one.

Question: Can DSLite and DS Phat owners access the DSi shop? Im not clear on this so im asking here.

If not, then the DSi is the dickiest upgrade ever

Question: Can DSLite and DS Phat owners access the DSi shop? Im not clear on this so im asking here.

No they can't... the DSi shop is moreorless the whole point of the DSi, people who don't want downloadable games and some interesting extra features such as the motion cameras won't buy one, the machine is actually an awesome upgrade, it's just a shame that there isn't much out that's worth purchasing from the DSi shop atm, for me at least.

Theres a large market of people who have no PSP and also a large market of people who have more money than sense. Sony is targetting these people. If your saying that existing PSP users shouldnt buy one, then your absolutely right, because they already have one.

There's really not that a big market of people who have more money than sense, no PSP, and have interest in the PSP. The PSP was expensive when it came out, so I could pretty much imagine that particular audience having bought a PSP way back when it was touted to be a powerful handheld gaming machine like nothing seen before, meaning many would already be excluded from the new customer category.

They can't, which is why I have the DS Lite. And that is a fantastic upgrade, IMO. To be honest though the shop is just for titles that aren't anything to lose sleep over.