NEurope
Daft

PSP Go

What I'm wondering is if they'll be revising the design/components year-on-year with the Go and if there will be a PSP-4000 with UMD on top of that. What you reckon before PSP 2, another 4-5 years?

I'd have thought both the Go and the X000 lines will be revised and updated as time goes by, not massively, just in a similar vein to how they have been up to now in the PSP life cycle. As for a PSP2, I think any comment on that could be read too much into given what I've said further up the thread.

In any case, if Go stalls, game's won't stop being released over PSN, and the unit and digital games will hopefully get cheaper over time. If anything publishers will release no-one will pay more than £30 for a high profile release at that. Ubisoft have close to £35-£40 price range for some of their PSP games don't they?

Prices will sort themselves out over time, the key thing is that at the moment people downloading games are the early adopters and willing to pay a premium for the content. As time goes by the market will dictate prices and they will fall in line with what mass market gamers value content at. It could take years to happen but price disparity with boxed copies won't be around forever.

Virtual Boy 2?!?! I think the pricing of the software will simply destroy any chance of this handheld being a success in any way. It's going to flop hard!

Shame, as it's actually a brave move by Sony (their first ever?), but I think it will back fire... I'm not a massive fan of the PSP, but haven't played it for YEARS and YEARS and would have been interested in this, but, sorry to repeat what EVERYONE has already said, but the games should be a lot cheaper to buy!!

I actually don't think it will flop because I don't think Sony expect it to do amazingly well. It's part of a push to really reinvigorate the PSP which has much more momentum than before.

Basically I just think Sony are testing the waters with the PSP Go and that will probably lay the foundations for their next handheld in a few years time.

Yes, prices definitely kill it but it's best they sort it out now before having it core to the console.

Just seen that Football Manager 2010 Handheld has gone live on PSN and we now have a new highest price tag...£35.99!!! WTF...Continues to show the problems the Go will have whilst there is disparity in pricing. I quite wanted to own a digital copy of FM so I always had it but bah not at that price.

I actually don't think it will flop because I don't think Sony expect it to do amazingly well. It's part of a push to really reinvigorate the PSP which has much more momentum than before.

Basically I just think Sony are testing the waters with the PSP Go and that will probably lay the foundations for their next handheld in a few years time.

Yes, prices definitely kill it but it's best they sort it out now before having it core to the console.

I think the fact they had to slash the price about a week after release shows it has done worse than they hoped for. I remember when Nintendo had to cut the price of the N64 six months into it's lifespan, that was seen as a major failure. But cutting price just a week or so into its life - now that is bad.

Not really. It was overpriced anyway and Sony knew that. I don't think they cut the price in the US or the rest of the world actually.

The other massive point you missed, surprise surprise, is that it's definitely helped the PSP as a whole and drawn attention to the PSN and downloadable titles.

Not really. It was overpriced anyway and Sony knew that. I don't think they cut the price in the US or the rest of the world actually.

The other massive point you missed, surprise surprise, is that it's definitely helped the PSP as a whole and drawn attention to the PSN and downloadable titles.

Definately.. a 300% spike in sales can't be bad at all.

I'm buying a 3000 and GTA Chinatown Wars tomorrow, btw. Go me!

PSP Go sells 28,275 units in a day in Japan.

To compare with the first day sales of others:

• 2001.03.21 (Game Boy Advance) - 611,504
  • 2004.11.21 (Nintendo DS) - 441,485
  • 2007.09.20 (PSP-2000) - 263,538
  • 2008.11.01 (Nintendo DSi) - 170,779
  • 2004.12.12 (PSP-1000) - 166,074
  • 1998.10.21 (Game Boy Color) - 155,774
  • 2008.10.16 (PSP-3000) - 155,720
  • 2005.09.13 (Game Boy Micro) - 148,117
  • 2000.12.09 (WonderSwan Color) - 145,975
  • 2003.02.14 (Game Boy Advance SP) - 117,859
  • 1999.03.04 (WonderSwan) - 102,655
  • 2006.03.02 (Nintendo DS Lite) - 67,653
  • 2002.07.12 (SwanCrystal) - 30,692
  • 2009.11.01 (PSP Go) - 28,275
  • 1998.10.28 (Neo Geo Pocket) - 21,471
  • 1999.03.19 (Neo Geo Pocket Color) - 18,809

Edited by Dante

PSP Go sells 28,275 units in a day in Japan.

To compare with the first day sales of others:

• 2001.03.21 (Game Boy Advance) - 611,504
  • 2004.11.21 (Nintendo DS) - 441,485
  • 2007.09.20 (PSP-2000) - 263,538
  • 2008.11.01 (Nintendo DSi) - 170,779
  • 2004.12.12 (PSP-1000) - 166,074
  • 1998.10.21 (Game Boy Color) - 155,774
  • 2008.10.16 (PSP-3000) - 155,720
  • 2005.09.13 (Game Boy Micro) - 148,117
  • 2000.12.09 (WonderSwan Color) - 145,975
  • 2003.02.14 (Game Boy Advance SP) - 117,859
  • 1999.03.04 (WonderSwan) - 102,655
  • 2006.03.02 (Nintendo DS Lite) - 67,653
  • 2002.07.12 (SwanCrystal) - 30,692
  • 2009.11.01 (PSP Go) - 28,275
  • 1998.10.28 (Neo Geo Pocket) - 21,471
  • 1999.03.19 (Neo Geo Pocket Color) - 18,809

Says it all. Thanks Dante.

Which wasn't that bad according to Kotaku.

How'd The PSPgo Launch Go In Japan?

Good? Bad? Probably somewhere closer to the former.

Thanks Kotaku.

I'll just say it for the third time for you, fingers crossed third time lucky you'll understand, the release of the PSPgo helped boost the PSP brand as a whole.

Which wasn't that bad according to Kotaku.

How'd The PSPgo Launch Go In Japan?

Thanks Kotaku.

I'll just say it for the third time for you, fingers crossed third time lucky you'll understand, the release of the PSPgo helped boost the PSP brand as a whole.

But then its all well and good boosting the brand? But to what end? if they end up making a lose on it and its a deemed a failure would the damage not be much longer term than this temporary boost?

But then its all well and good boosting the brand? But to what end? if they end up making a lose on it and its a deemed a failure would the damage not be much longer term than this temporary boost?

It hasn't boosted the brand! He's just trying to defend a flop. The damage a flop like this does to a brand is far greater than a few extra people visiting the PSN store. Infact if you look at the sales figures it's had the worst opening day of any iteration of the PSP. That's not a boost, it's step backward.

How anyone can try to wrap this up in a positive light is beyond me. I've never known a console to have it's price reduced so quickly. It's also had a fair bashing from the gaming press.

You know the mark up price is through the roof so it isn't making a loss, in any way. Production of the Go will still be vastly outnumbered by the normal PSPs. Sony have said that it is a luxury product. You don't produce the same quantity of a premium product. (and thus its relatively low sales isn't unusual)

Who's deeming it a failure? It's a product made for image. It's a PSP ultimately and although our resident fanboy Zechs is using up all his vocabulary in an attempt to understand what is going on the Go is a strategy that go beyond sheer profit.

Brand awareness is highly important. Look at the Wii. Just show a bunch of jibbering cretins pasted in white flailing their arms in motions that bare no apparent relation to anything onscreen and suddenly you have an easy to use console that everyone can enjoy. The reality is that people drop their money for it then get bored. Until Wii fit comes out and you have another 5 minutes of faux exercise. I'm joking.

But what do you have now with the Wii? With no strong software sales are slowing. In fact, shock horror, it's very likely the PS3 will outsell it in Japan this year.

What comes with the PSP once the initial boost of the go deflates. The strongest handheld line up I have ever seen.

It hasn't boosted the brand! He's just trying to defend a flop. The damage a flop like this does to a brand is far greater than a few extra people visiting the PSN store. Infact if you look at the sales figures it's had the worst opening day of any iteration of the PSP. That's not a boost, it's step backward.

How anyone can try to wrap this up in a positive light is beyond me. I've never known a console to have it's price reduced so quickly. It's also had a fair bashing from the gaming press.

Why even argue with me? You know you're going to get your arse handed to you like in every other thread you try and argue against me no matter how many points you decide to ignore.

I'll try and make it very simple.

Sony do not produce ANYWHERE near the same amount of PSPgos as they do PSPs. It is a 'premium' product (one where they make a profit on every unit).

Are you still with me?

And thus because they produce a lot less they will be expecting to sell a lot less (and especially because they make a profit on every unit.).

The pricing? It was £30 off the price of a Playstation 3. As much as people think this was Sony being stupid, it wasn't. Sony said the price was for early adopters. Not only does it make the PS3 look better value for money, a minor thing, but my God does it make the original PSP look tempting.

What are the gaming press saying? "Overpriced, crappy game pricing so why not buy a normal PSP?" Does that really sound damaging?

All the PSPgo is is an option. It's not an upgrade to the current line it is a sideways step and all press is good press especially when it puts your main product, the PSP, in such a good light.

Maybe you'll respond to some anecdotal evidence. Ever since the PSPgo has come out, I've known 3 people who have decided to get a 3000.

It's not a failure because simply put, the PSPgo is in no way a risk. If you buy one Sony will make money off the initial console, and then if you buy any games for it they are laughing.

If the PSPgo perks your interest but you realise it's an overpriced punch in the face then you may be tempted by the 3000 which is, what, half the price?

The Go has also drawn attention to the launching of the new minis service and the comic book store which would have seen vastly less publicity shown sans the go.

Don't get me wrong. I think the go is pretty damn half baked. Was it a failure? Don't be stupid.

Why are you even in this thread? You're just here to troll. Not unlike every thread you decide to rear your ugly head in in the 'Other Consoles' boards.

Zechs is using up all his vocabulary in an attempt to understand what is going on.

Aha, love it.

Daft. I like you. But don't diss the Wii in your defense of the Go!!! Otherwise I'm going to have to get involved :)

Daft. I like you. But don't diss the Wii in your defense of the Go!!! Otherwise I'm going to have to get involved :)

I'm joking.

Don't worry. :D

Famitsu sales leak for Oct. 26 to Nov. 01:

Hardware:

PSP 42000

PS3 37000

DSi 36000

PSP Go 28000

Wii 27000

360 4800

DSL 4400

PS2 2700

01. [PS3] Bayonetta (Sega) - 138,000 / NEW

02. [PS3] Tekken 6 (Bandai Namco Games) - 120,000 / NEW

03. [NDS] Hikari no 4 Senshi: Final Fantasy Gaiden (Square Enix) - 120,000 / NEW

04. [PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus) - 108,000 / NEW

05. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 73,000 / 733,000

06. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon) - 69,000 / 2,840,000

07. [360] Bayonetta (Sega) - 66,000 / NEW

08. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 53,000 / 1,453,000

09. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5) - 40,000 / 536,000

10. [WII] Super Robot Taisen Neo (Bandai Namco Games) - 32,000 / NEW

11. [360] Tekken 6 (Bandai Namco Games) - 26,000 / NEW

12. [PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Universal Tuning (Square Enix) - 20,000 / NEW

13. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 18,000 / 1,302,000

14. [NDS] Fresh Precure! Asobi Collection (Bandai Namco Games) - 15,000 / NEW

15. [PSP] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Special (Koei) - 13,000 / 36,000

Edited by Dante

I think Daft is right about this, mainly because the buzz about the GO has made me look at PSPs in general and decide they may be quite good. I actually quite want one now, especially since LBP and Motorstorm are on the platform.

I'd like to borrow a PSP in order to play Echoshift. Other than that there's no desire to shell out money for a system. If I was going to get a PSP it would have to be the same size or smaller than the GO, otherwise it's just too annoying to carry round.

Success of handheld games machines is always limited (OK the DS is remarkable) due to the lack of phone/text applications, for most people there is no discernible reason to buy a PSP unless they have that taste for games. It's hardly the 'Whole world in your hands' as the adverts try to imply so really unless someone comes up with a device that can compete with model x of the iPod touch that boasts really good games, then the next batch of handhelds could struggle.