NEurope
Daft

PSP Go

Price is actually very fair given what PSP Go is. PSP 3000 is being sold too. So you have two options. Much like Nintendo, all japanese companies are upping the price on British goods because of the exchange rate.

No it isn't a fair price. It is vastly overpriced.

Yeah I mean what? It has a small screen and can play downloadable games with a bit of bluetooth functionality thrown in. You can get a lot more for £230.

But I will re-iterate that it will probably be sold for £180, just because that pre-order says it's dearer doesn't mean it will release at that much.

Depends who you talk to. Its like the 9p total cost of chocolates on Apprentice.

The PSP is a bargain for what it is. There is nothing portable that comes close in manufactured value offered. Sony arent appealing to the DS/Wii type buyers who spend a ton on junk effectively if some here consider the PSP Go to be overpriced. You get hard genuine price value with the PSP unlike most other devices. I expect the final price to be high.

edit: Also i am wondering how Sony are handling the retailers. Going download based will upset them surely.

Edited by Choze

The PSP was launched 4 years ago. This has a smaller screen and no UMD drive.

It shouldn't cost more. There's no way you can spin it.

The PSP was launched 4 years ago. This has a smaller screen and no UMD drive.

It shouldn't cost more. There's no way you can spin it.

They made a hefty loss on PSP 4 years ago. So your point doesnt make sense. Given the exchange rate British buyers are either going to have join the Euro or get used to the prices. Value wise there isnt any difference from before its just the sticker price has risen due to the value of the pound falling. Hence Nintendo, Sony and any Japanese electronics company pushing up prices because their margins were ruined.

Edited by Choze

They made a hefty loss on PSP 4 years ago. It was amazing value back then and still is now.

In 4 years they must have got the cost down a lot. They now remove expensive parts like the UMD and reduce the size of the screen. However now they charge a crap load more.

It is way too expensive. What are you huffing?

In 4 years they must have got the cost down a lot. They now remove expensive parts like the UMD and reduce the size of the screen. However now they charge a crap load more.

It is way too expensive. What are you huffing?

Yeah i can understand the sticker shock.

But this is how things are proceeding in this country. Well i dont know the final price. DSi started out at like £160 so i think PS go will end up £200 but unlike DS the worry is retailers arent happy with Sony pushing PSN store. There is confusion.

The cost of parts is higher than the PSP 3000. The UMD drive isnt expensive at all. Think minidisc.

Well flash drives really aren't expensive so where does the extra £120 come from?

Well flash drives really aren't expensive so where does the extra £120 come from?

As i said exchange rates have changed so the pound just isnt worth much anymore(good time to go euro). The value is accurate though and people were moaning about PSP price back then.

£120

It's not about the exchange rate. It's the basic valuation, €250, £200, way too much.

If you want to go along with exchange rate though, $250 is just less than £160.

How on Earth can you even want to defend this?

£120

It's not about the exchange rate. It's the basic valuation, €250, £200, way too much.

Nope. Its fine. Since you are arguing cost of parts go cry to Nintendo and MS before Sony. They work with much larger margins. You get much more for your money via PSP or PS3. Sony could charge £300 for the PSP. It would still be better value than Nintendo's DS using your logic.

If you want to go along with exchange rate though, $250 is just less than £160.

How on Earth can you even want to defend this?

Without tax/VAT. Actual US prices will vary. Which shows your lack of understanding of pricing.

Bear in mind PSP go is pretty much for early adopters. People who like spending for good tech and the idea of fully digital games. Much like PS3.

Edited by Choze

The DS by no means is bad hardware. Certainly not as big a cost difference for Sony and Nintendo to make the machines.

If you are charging £230 (which I really don't think will happen - but even £180 is a rip) for a handheld it has to be bloody awesome and pack tons of features which it really doesn't. I don't understand the what you mean about more value... At the end of the day it's about games and hardware build comes way after that in my criteria. The materials they are both made from are decent.

You're an idiot. ;)

;)

It is high ofcourse. But justified. I dont see alot of people thinking its worth it over a cheaper PSP 3000. Most people always go for cheaper versions no matter what.

The DS by no means is bad hardware. Certainly not as big a cost difference for Sony and Nintendo to make the machines.

If you are charging £230 (which I really don't think will happen - but even £180 is a rip) for a handheld it has to be bloody awesome and pack tons of features which it really doesn't. I don't understand the what you mean about more value... At the end of the day it's about games and hardware build comes way after that in my criteria. The materials they are both made from are decent.

The DS uses common mobile phone parts. It is extremely cheap and risk free.

Sony's PSP is all custom built parts. Nothing common with other devices especially when it was introduced. It also houses the most powerful consumer portable multimedia chip in existence. The screen is also extremely good. Its built towards quality all round. Its also a thirsty device compared to DS. Not to mention a shit ton more parts.

Its like comparing an Iphone to Motorola Razr cost wise. Or a PS3 to Wii.

Edited by Choze
Automerged Doublepost

Even if the build is as costly as you say it is, it really isn't worth it over the last PSP. It just doesn't have any incredible features, I'd rather spend money on DS and get a ton of good games for it. Even if the graphics aren't as good.

Even if the build is as costly as you say it is, it really isn't worth it over the last PSP. It just doesn't have any incredible features, I'd rather spend money on DS and get a ton of good games for it. Even if the graphics aren't as good.

As i said its not for everyone. Its pretty much an early adopter machine. Alot of people will not see the value much like the PSP 1000 a while back. Simple google search reveals the amount of complaints about price against DS. Others will love the value compared to penny pinching Nintendo or MS.

The bit people are getting wrong is that they think its some sort of DS competing device. Its not. There is nothing that suggests it is. If it were then the price is wrong. I am pretty sure this aimed at people who really want to take the plunge into the first serious attempt at a fully downloadable games console.

Edited by Choze

I still don't understand the point of it from a consumer perspective. Its more expensive, does basically the same as the other one, the games they're pushing are still the same kind of home console games and if we're totally honest, the lack of piracy will be a detracting point for the mainstream consumer.

There really is absolutely no point in buying this when the previous ones are still around!

Piracy for the PSP isn't something that makes the mainstream consumer buy it. There's a fair few that know about it but it isn't a big selling point.

Edited by dwarf

I don't like the nub being directly under the D-pad on the PSP. That's why I've never bought one. No one else seems to mind its position but it's just too close to my hand for me.

It's why I wanted this but for the price that is being thrown about, Sony can forcibly insert their Go up their anus.

Well the positioning is weird but more importantly it's shite. I guess that's actually something they fixed with Go - it has had positive because apparently is much more usable than the normal one.

Some tweaks but for GT i will be using the Dpad as usual. Maybe it will be good for MGS:PW?

I don't like the nub being directly under the D-pad on the PSP. That's why I've never bought one. No one else seems to mind its position but it's just too close to my hand for me.

It's why I wanted this but for the price that is being thrown about, Sony can forcibly insert their Go up their anus.

I have to admit I feel the same and find it quite uncomfortable to use. Any game that lets you use the D-Pad instead I use it...

Price is actually very fair given what PSP Go is.

Spoken like a true fanboy.

I might have gotten a PSP GO, but that is too expensive. However I think it's good value in comparison with DSi. That is such a rip off, £150 for that, they must have such a huge profit margin! I thought £100 for the Lite was steep! =/ Oh well. Think I'll be buying a used lite for £60 when I save up, seems like a much better price :)

Price doesn't seem standard yet judging by play.com so lets see.

Spoken like a true fanboy.

and you arent a fanboy.

We wont be getting trophies sadly :( Apparently with the way the system works a modified PSP could could easily get trophies cheating the system.

Edited by Choze