NEurope
Daft

PSP Go

If this turns out to be true then PSP Go would be 2nd most cost worthy of consoles/handhelds in UK.

Sony PS3 80GB : £279

Sony PSP Go : £229

MS Xbox 360 Elite 120GB : £219

Nintendo Wii : £179

Nintendo DSi : £149

MS Xbox 360 Premium 60GB : £159

MS Xbox 360 Arcade : £129

Sony PSP : £110

Man, the 360 Premium is incredibly cheap, all of them are.

and if we're totally honest, the lack of piracy will be a detracting point for the mainstream consumer.

The vast majority of people don't buy a machine for the piracy, it's something that they get into afterwards, often without realizing what they're doing is wrong. PSP will have slightly more people planning to do it due to the more hardcore skew of the userbase, and it is becoming a bit of a problem.

Fortunately the more hardcore/early adopter nature of PSP users would suggest that a lot of people will be looking to get into this, and that should cut down on piracy/2nd hand sales, making the PSP a once again viable platform for developers.

Hopefully this will kick start a bit of a revival for the machine/software.

Pachter says Sony is 'ripping off' consumers with PSP Go

pachshot580px.jpg

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter hates the PSP Go. Alright, alright, he doesn't quite hate it, but he does despise its price point. On a recent episode of Bonus Round, Pachter matter of factly states, "$249 is too much. Period." He goes on to say that while the handheld is priced to compete with Apple's $229 8GB iPod Touch, it doesn't deliver the iTunes App Store or downloadable music from iTunes (as conveniently, at least, as the iPod Touch).

Furthermore, he posits the $250 price of the PSP Go is vastly overinflated considering its contents, claiming it costs Sony less to build and ship the PSP Go than the PSP-3000 model, "The $169 PSP-3000 is a profitable device -- the disc assembly, for a UMD, costs more than 16 gigs of flash does. So this new device doesn't cost them as much as the PSP-3000 and they jack the price up $80?" When Keighley presses Pachter as to whether Sony is "ripping off" the consumer or not, he answers, "They're rippin' off the consumer... they're making a lot more money on the PSP Go than the PSP-3000."

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/09/pachter-says-sony-is-ripping-off-consumers-with-psp-go/

Pretty much.

Go back a few pages and I mentioned gametrailers where he said that...The pic if from their Bonus Round E3 round ups...

Sorry, must have missed it!!

You have to be retarded to think its cheaper to make.

So wait an analyst whose job it is to find and mark trends etc...look at and remark on when price cuts are going to happen and whether they are viable or not is retarded? Pachter can be a dick at times but he almost certainly would be able to find out of costings of the USB drive and also the relevant manufacturing costs. It's his job to find out such things and analyse them.

You have to be retarded to think its cheaper to make.

What?! Why?! Even the design and form factor were already there.

So wait an analyst whose job it is to find and mark trends etc...look at and remark on when price cuts are going to happen and whether they are viable or not is retarded? Pachter can be a dick at times but he almost certainly would be able to find out of costings of the USB drive and also the relevant manufacturing costs. It's his job to find out such things and analyse them.

As an analyst its not his job to work out costing of parts or R&D etc. That was simply his opinion, much like how he thinks Wii HD is imminent.

His videogame sales analyst work is not even his main job. Nice guy though, most people like him tend to be out of touch with the actual games but he isnt. I enjoyed his gt.com stuff.

What?! Why?! Even the design and form factor were already there.

They may be increasing their margin slightly but its still not much. Their problem is that the base PSP was very expensive and full of custom parts like PS3. They were selling it at a loss for a long while. However the hardware is now profitable (i think) but their design is still more expensive than anyone whether its Apple, Nintendo or Nokia.

I dont expect the £230 or especially £250 to stick though as there is no concrete UK data or deals yet. So retailers will need more info and reassurance that they will earn cash. But i dont think Sony will want to price close to DSi RRP either.

Edited by Choze
Automerged Doublepost

Can't believe how good the prices for things in America, they prices there are similar but they have high inflation so it's just begging for Brits to flog stuff from there over here. Which I'm sure many businesses and travellers do.

"He goes on to say that while the handheld is priced to compete with Apple's $229 8GB iPod Touch, it doesn't deliver the iTunes App Store or downloadable music from iTunes."

Of course it doesn't. It's not an Apple product and it's a console, not a Music player (at least that's not it's main function). It has the Sony version of the apps store though (Media Go). I really don't see how that arguement is valid.

Can't believe how good the prices for things in America, they prices there are similar but they have high inflation so it's just begging for Brits to flog stuff from there over here. Which I'm sure many businesses and travellers do.

How does region locking work for the Go? If I bought one from America could I use it with my PAL PS3 on the UK store?

"He goes on to say that while the handheld is priced to compete with Apple's $229 8GB iPod Touch, it doesn't deliver the iTunes App Store or downloadable music from iTunes."

Of course it doesn't. It's not an Apple product and it's a console, not a Music player (at least that's not it's main function). It has the Sony version of the apps store though (Media Go). I really don't see how that arguement is valid.

http://kotaku.com/5288956/pspgo-getting-an-app-store

I know it says rumour, but it isn't.

How does region locking work for the Go? If I bought one from America could I use it with my PAL PS3 on the UK store?

I'm the wrong guy to ask, not sure if it's known yet but it'll probably work the same as the current store, no?

There isnt any region locking. But on PSP you have to sign in using the relevant US account to run some stuff if brought from from US PSN.

Unlike PS3, PSP only saves one account login info at a time. So you have to change manually. Thats the only main difference.

I'd have thought so, if it's on the online system it should be available in store too.

No reason it should be in demand because you don't want it, right?

You talking to me? I just don't know why you would pre-order one when it isn't clear what it or the games for it will retail at or if it'll be any good. I think it looks good but still not worth £230 or whatever.

You talking to me? I just don't know why you would pre-order one when it isn't clear what it or the games for it will retail at or if it'll be any good. I think it looks good but still not worth £230 or whatever.

There are going to be many big games. GT PSP and Soul Calibur for starters at that time.

The digital games releases are increasing but i hope all back catalogue games are also onboard.

There are going to be many big games. GT PSP and Soul Calibur for starters at that time.

The digital games releases are increasing but i hope all back catalogue games are also onboard.

I thought they had already said they hoped to have all back catalogue games online come October...

I don't know why I doubt that but it just seems a bit hinky. I don't think they will have all PSP games on there at launch anyway.