Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Top Ten Favourite "Things"

Nintendohnut

Well I was thinking about this a few days ago - if I had to make a list of my favourite things in the whole wide world, how would I manage it? I decided that there would need to be a couple of rules but nothing too tight, so here's the idea:

1. There isn't an order to my list, but you can make yours into an order if you wish!

2. You are allowed three people or groups of people on your list. I understand that people's family and friends are really important, but a list of "my mum because blah, my dad because blah, my best friend fred because blah, my other friend bob because blah" may get a little too people-based! You can group your friends into one point, or your family, or your parents, or whatever, but try to keep it to three!

3. Give a brief description of what the item(s) is/are (unless it is obvious) and explain briefly why they are in your top 10!

That's it, I imagine we'll get several that appear in several lists... Anyway, here's mine...

1. University - I've been at Lancaster for around a year and a half now, and it really is the most fun place I've ever been. There are amazing people, and living on my own so far from my parents has taught me so much. It's great!

2. My Parents - They've brought me up pretty damn well really, and have worked really hard so that from having very very little when I was young they can now live nicely and be happy. They're great people and I wouldn't swap them for anything!

3. My computer - I bought my first computer around three years ago, it's a MacBook and I love it! It's the first computer that's really "mine" and I've used it pretty much every day since I have had it. Macs aren't for everyone, but I love my little white box.

4. My Girlfriend - Lyndsey is wonderful, and I wouldn't want anyone else. Strangely I'm at a point in my life now where I can look to the future and see myself living with her very happily - weird because I've never felt like that before. She's lovely and very smiley and happy, just a great person all round and I'm very lucky!

5. Music - This is a pretty big one, but I love listening to it and I love playing it, especially in a band. I listen to most things, but really enjoy things with a good guitar riff or drum beat (not like a dance beat, a song where the drummer shines). I really enjoy playing jazz and wish I was good enough to play bass for the University Big Band!

6. Football - I enjoy two things about it: watching it and playing it. That sounds odd, but I don't like talking about clubs finances or owners etc etc. I am entertained by the game itself which is great, and I love playing. Luckily, after a few years off it, I am really getting back into playing it at Uni.

7. My Friends - Both at home, from school, and my new friends from Uni. I am lucky that I have a small group of really close friends that I got to know well from school, and a larger group at Uni. They're all great and I can happily spend time with them and have a great time.

8. Computer Games - I bought a Sega Mega Drive aaaages ago (can't remember when) second hand, then an N64 (also second hand) and so on through Ninty consoles, as well as several handhelds. I have always loved gaming, and I have great memories of settling down with a new game and really getting my teeth into it. I also remember many great multiplayer games with mates, and Mario Kart at Uni is always a favourite. Probably my favourite passtime, this.

9. Reading/Writing - My degree says it all - English Literature and Creative Writing. I love reading a good book that I can get into (when I get into it I tend to sit in bed until late at night reading, and finish it within a few days). I also really love writing prose and even essays, and will one day hopefully make it into the world of journalism. I'd love to get a book published one day - I'm just thinking of the killer idea for a story at the moment.

10. Food - And odd last choice, but I love to make and eat great food. I'm really really lucky because at the moment I have one of those bodies that no matter what I eat doesn't seem to gain much weight. I am making the most of this. I love desserts but making a meal from scratch, then eating it and finding that it's really really good is such a rewarding (and tasty!) experience... I just wish I had more money to spend on ingredients - I'm a poor student!

--------------------

So there's my list. I've probably forgotten something I'd want to put in but never mind! What's in yours? Don't worry about explanations if you can't be arsed, but I thought I'd give you a little insight into why I chose these things! Hope this makes you smile like it did for me...

I did this a while ago with my friends at the pub.

My list was something like this:

1. Good Music

2. Boys

3. Mathematics

4. Friends & Family

And then I never finished the rest. It's too hard to think about.

I love that both music, mathematics and boys were all above "friends and family".

1. Music (Both trashy and lovely. Fine...just trashy. I couldn't live without Perry/Gaga/Spears...they're my trio. *awaits an outburst from Paj declaring different*)

2. Laughter...most likely brought on by the presence of friends

3. As GaGa put it, Boys Boys Boys. :p

4. The internet, obviously.

5. Cocktails..just because. I love them to death.

I cannot think of anything else...as long as there's music and friends in my life, I couldn't give a wank about anything else.

Edited by Slaggis

1. Good Music

2. People I like (friends, family, lovers)

3. Movies

4. Good TV Shows

5. Intelligent, thought-provoking literature

6. The Internet

7. Art

8. Comics, and associated media

9. Posters/a vibrant room

10. Beautiful hair

1. Good Music

2. People I like (friends, family, lovers)

3. Movies

4. Good TV Shows

5. Intelligent, thought-provoking literature

6. The Internet

7. Art

8. Comics, and associated media

9. Posters/a vibrant room

10. Beautiful hair

Oh yeah, my hair was number 5. That was before I had it all cut off though.

I love that both music, mathematics and boys were all above "friends and family".

To be fair though...

Both trashy and lovely. Fine...just trashy. I couldn't live without Perry/Gaga/Spears...they're my trio. *awaits an outburst from Paj declaring different*)

Just bear in mind that the Trion is defined as Tor', Peej and Beej. You can call them your trio if you want though.

Killthenet; I've just bought a couple of Phillip K Dick thingums... I think he was more a man of ideas than a man of able delivery. But what he stood for? I'm guessing that's the angle you're hooked on; then fair enough. Just a wonder; is Bill Hicks too blatant for you?

Oh yeah, my hair was number 5. That was before I had it all cut off though.

To be fair though...

Just bear in mind that the Trion is defined as Tor', Peej and Beej. You can call them your trio if you want though.

Yeah, Trion in pretty much trademarked. Trio or Three-O or whatever is up for grabs though.

No order, the numbers are just to make sure I have 10:

1: Photography

I chuffing love taking photos. I've always liked to be creative, but suck so much ass at drawing and the usual artsy things.

2: Music

I'm no music expert or into music in any massively deep way, but it's pretty important to me. Personal faves include: Rage Against the Machine, Rise Against, LostProphets, Audioslave and Mad Capsule Markets.

3: Front Magazine

The perfect magazine. It's exactly my sense of humour, it has better taste in ladies (IMO) than other "gents mags", plus the clothes section is rad.

4: Movies

It's the same situation as music. Favourites include: Stand By Me, Powder, Speed Racer, Black Hawk Down, Star Wars, Borat, Ghostbusters and Mad Max.

5: Humour

Laughing is one of the best things to do. Period. Which leads me nicely onto...

6: The Inbetweeners

It has everything. Amazing comedy, awesome characters and accurate, believable stories. I love it.

7: Cars

I love them. All shapes and sizes (except boy racer mobiles, they annoy me). I would consider cars one of the best inventions ever. For me they're a hobby, but they have greatly aided travel.

8: Travelling

I love seeing new things. Even if it isn't that far from my home.

9: Lovely Ladies

Not in a "Look at the waps on that!" sort of way, but in a "well she's mighty pretty" sort of way. Surely everyone should have the opposite (or same) sex in their list? It's pretty much the key to life and all that junk.

10: Tattoos and piercings

I love them. Sure there are really terrible ones, but a decent tattoo or piercing can improve stuff no end. I like em a bunch.

Killthenet; I've just bought a couple of Phillip K Dick thingums... I think he was more a man of ideas than a man of able delivery. But what he stood for? I'm guessing that's the angle you're hooked on; then fair enough. Just a wonder; is Bill Hicks too blatant for you?

Not really, no. The guy had a really interesting life and he wrote tonnes of interesting books. All of the ones I've read have been incredible and seem to speak to me on a personal level. We both love (or in his case, loved) the album Dragnet by The Fall, if we could have a conversation I think we'd get along, or we'd be furious with each other. I think we're similar people. I wouldn't say I even knew what he stood for, other than doing what he loved regardless of profit. I don't hold him in any higher regard than being a great fan of his books and a guy who is kinda like him.

On the subject of Bill Hicks, he was just a stand-up comedian. Not a prophet, or a man who spoke the truth, he was just a stand-up comedian and that's all he ever wanted to be. I wouldn't say there was anything more admirable about Bill Hicks than there is about Lee Evans, except that Hicks died younger, had better material and didn't sweat as much.

EDIT: And I missed a couple of major subjects off my list, so I'm retracting it and adding a revised one here.

Women

Film

Music

Philip K Dick

Tobacco

Science

Friends & Family

The Internet

Television

Dreams

As much as I love the Apollo Space Programme, it's just a small part of what Science has brought us, so I may aswell stick the whole medium up there. And Television is clearly better than cider, I don't know what I was thinking. In many ways it fits into Film, but it fully deserves its own category.

Edited by killthenet

Hmm, I'd imagine this won't be too hard, let's have a go (in no particular order):

My girlfriend, linguistics (this includes English and Japanese), maths, science (including evolution), humour, food, Cambridge, Ludwig Wittgenstein (and philosophy generally), books, knowledge.

This is subject to constant change, and could easily include more or less.

Edited by Supergrunch

Hmmm... my ten fav things... Lets see. Although I've numbered them, after (1) there really is no numerical ordering to them:

1. Music - Really important to me. Don't really care whether it's good or not (as others have stated 'Good' music but there's no differentiation between good and bad because everyone's tastes in music are different so saying 'Good' music is a bit arrogant (probably not the right word to use here)) just have to listen to it. I'm not shy in saying that if I were to go deaf, I'd probably end it all.

2. Friends - Another really important thing for me. So hard to find good, honest, true friends these days but when you do it's nice to know that they'll be there for you when you need them and vice versa.

3. Movies/TV - No need to differentiate between the two as I enjoy both equally as each other and similar to the music thing, I'd end it all if I went blind and couldn't watch them anymore.

4. Peace and quiet - This should be higher up but then after point 1, there is no real way of numerically ordering these things. I love to just sit in a quiet, secluded place and just think about things, sometime to the detriment of my character, but I would hate it if I couldn't do this.

5. Laughter/Humour - What's the point in life if you can't have a good laugh about things? Ok, I know exactly where the line is but I'm hoping people understand what I mean by having a laugh at life's expenses, like at the stupidest things that happen to people that seem to insignificant but when you look back on them you can't help but laugh and realise they have been a big significance in your life for that reason.

6. Art - Although I seem to have lost all artistic integrity for coming up with artistic pieces, it's still an important thing to me as I enjoy viewing it, talking about it and, on the odd occasion when I can think of something, draw it.

7. Poetry - Not really in the sense of writing it (anyone who has read the stuff I've put in the Poetry thread will see I'm awful at it) but there's something wholey pleasing about reading a good piece of poetry. The likes of John Donne really make me sit and read and enjoy the stuff and 'The Raven' is one of my favourite pieces of literature.

8. Women - Not been a huge part of my life (choosing education over going out with people has been a bane yet also productive in getting to where I am) but they have been and will continue to be an important 'thing' (how derogatory :indeed:) to me both as friends and as partners.

9. Food - Surprised no one has said this yet. I don't mean this in a fat 'Oh-give-me-a-tonne-of-food-to-eat' way. Just, food is a good conversation point and is a cornerstone in building relationships. Can't beat having one of your favourite meals or trying something new. It's been a big part of who I am, especially when travelling and trying out local food.

10. Family - Think this is appropriately placed. I don't get on much with them but they are important to me. As much as I say I hate them, I probably wouldn't choose another family over them (:indeed: Yeh right. I'd get shot of them in a second if I could)

1) sword I love swords, i love holding them, seeing them, reading about them, learning about the people who used them. I have a small collection and wouldent give them up for anything.

2) Video games I'm in love with them :p I have enjoyed gaming for years now, and cant forsee a future where they will not be involved in some capacity.

3) Science I love learning about whats going on in the world of science, new inventions, new discoveries, i just love it.

4) Friends you gotta have people to just mess around with, no amount of money is worth more to me then a single friend.

5) Nature I'm not a tree hugger, I'm not a vegitarian, but I really do love nature. Watching a nature documentory makes me so happy, i love seeing how amazine animals are.

6) Building things I do love it when I make somthing work. Cases that springs to mind are the data base I made in A level ICT, which needed some programming to be done. That was such a buzz when I saw that work. More recently, making stuff on little BIG plannet has given me a simmilar buzz.

7) Reading I have to have a book on the go, if I don't, I feel like a cretin. I always have stories going through my head, so one day id like to write myself.

This may take a while, here we go. These are in any order to be honest

Movies/TV

I do love a good movie, and i do love a good TV program to be honest as well. Sadly, there isn't as much good TV as there is movies out there which is a shame really. TV was golden back in the 80's/90's now it is all "Reality" stuff with the occasional good show.

Music

I don't play musical instruments (Making different body noises doesn't count as playing an instrument guys and gals, sorry) but i do enjoy listening to music. Live is better than any recorded song any day. Some of the music i listen to often includes Rod Stewart, R.E.M, Bon Jovi, Queen and Bryan Adams.

Computer Games

Many a time have i lost hours of a day playing games. To the right person, they can make a great social talking point. Many a times it can make many friends as well. They make great entertainment for mates as well.

Snooker/Pool

Another great set of talking points. Everyone likes a bit of Snooker and Pool no matter who they are really. I enjoy playing both games, and i am great at the Pool and good at the Snooker.

Mates

Second to Family, they are always there when you need them to be as well as Family. They can give me a third opinion on things that maybe you couldn't think of.

Reading

A good past time, that i used to be hugely fond of when i was younger and i am still fond of today. When i am in the right mood, i can read a lot and can get stuck right into a book.

Myself

Well, where would life be without me.

Alcohol

Ah yes, "To Alcohol, The cause and solution to all of Life's problems" - Homer Simpson. Without this lovely beverage as such, i don't know what i would do on a Friday and Saturday night anymore. I can't imagine going out and having a coke or 2 on a Friday. Alcohol :bowdown:

Family

Without a Family, where would i be in life. There are many things i've done that i owe to my Family who have always been there when i need them, and i have been there when they needed me as well.

Vegetables.

I love them! My favourites include; courgettes, carrots, beetroots, mushrooms.

Art.

My life does basically revolve around this. I make things, draw stuff, 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. Absolutley favourite pass time, being creative.

Light occasionaly excercise

Can't be doing with that 60 min a week business, but when occasion rises, its great to do excercise!

Body Modding.

<3

Piercings had to date - 23

Hair colours had to date - 20

Getting better after being ill.

Feels good man.

Good times with maytees

Some of the best times of my life have been with my friends :)

I love how some people feel the need to put "good" infront of things like music, film and books. I'm pretty sure we can assume that you think it's good because you... like it? Jeaaaasus.

Anywho,

1. Pantsu Man.

8. Cooking!

9. Cooking with Pantsu Man*.

*Yet to be done.

in no particular order ~ !!

ghibli (the museum, the movies, the books..!)

jamba (he's nice... i like him ^_^)

surf the chanel (kept me sane while in japan)

sinfest (my daily habit)

good food (/food that's better than you expected..)

hot hot hot showers (it's a wonder i have any skin left tbh O-o)

theatre (plays or musicals... i really enjoy going to the theatre!)

being lucky with the weather (like when you've gotta go to the post office but it's raining... then it stops for a while - just long enough for you to get to the post office and back - then starts tipping down again.)

creme brulee (it's my favourite O___O)

books (the ones you get SO into that you can't quite snap back into the real world once you finish reading...)

:smile:

There's not going to be an order to this, because...I love both Manchester United and Ine dearly. Which one more? You decide.

1. Ine - The feeeeemale. She's a very important person in my life now and I never really picture myself being in a long-distance relationship, but it's worth it for her. We haven't know each other that long, but I know we're going to have many more amazing moments - so I'm looking to the future for the first time in ages.

2. Manchester United - Supported them since I was a mini-LiNk. There have been so many amazing players and games over the years, and if anything it just teaches me that you should Never Say Die. The amount of times where we've looked down and out, and then just come back out of nowhere to win. Whenever I feel sad, I think about or watch the last 10 minutes of that 1999 Champions League Final, where we looked out of it, but just kept going and going, and getting the victory. I know that whenever I get down, if you keep going and going you will eventually win.

3. Music - This is a huge part of my life. I've been listening to music since I was very little, again, and it's something that I find so strange. One song, which only lasts minutes can leave you feeling joy, yet another song can leave you feeling devastated. When you think that music itself is a collection of sounds, in its simplest form, but the effects it can have on someone...it's brilliant. My favourite bands are Oasis and the Manic Street Preachers, and I'll follow these bands til the end of time. I'm pretty crazy about trying to learn how to play instruments, and I've had a drum kit for many years, got a bass as well, and trying to learn acoustic guitar as well. If music were a question, I don't think I'll ever find an answer, no matter how much I think I understand it.

4. N-E and Nintendo - These are for two similar and different reasons. First of all, I've been a supporter of Nintendo since I was young (again, there's a theme here) and I just loving physically owning their consoles and games. There's a certain sense of joy I feel when I pick up or play a new Nintendo game, that I just do not feel anywhere else. The closest thing that came to this feeling was owning a Sega Megadrive, but it wasn't even close in the longrun.

And, N-E. I've played various roles here - idiot poster to begin with, then developed a bit more maturity, mod of the old gamecube boards, then admin, and now I'm going through life in a different role, perhaps even more challenging. Seeing posters start off and become greats, and seeing many people come and go. It's been a great journey and adventure, and I know there are many more chapters left to come.

5. Classic TV - This is a big one for me, too. Mainly, the 90s. We were treated to some great sci-fi, such as The X-Files, Dark Skies, and comedy and just about everything else. Also, before the 90s, we had so many great kids tv shows, like FunHouse, The Crystal Maze, which I fucking love, and so many more. I fear for Kids of this generation, because the quality that they have no is nowhere near as great. Before, it was all about simple yet effective ideas, but now they're trying to add too many rules or trying to make things as complicated or "awesome" as possible. Watch one episode of The Crystal Maze, and you'll realise how bad tv (particularly game shows) have become.

6. Films - Ahhh, yes. I'm a huge Alien and Terminator buff, but I also have love for so many other films. The George A. Romero "..of the dead" films, classic sci-fi such as Invasion of the Bodysnatchers...and Arnieeee! Films in the 80s and 90s were also so, so good, and it's really no surprise that most of my film collection doesn't really contain much from the last 5 years or so. I recently watched Innerspace with Ine, which is silly, but it's also great at the same time. Simple, yet fun. Good scriptings.

7. Friends - There's nothing I really need to say here, except that friends play an important part in my life. I've lost contact with a great deal of people over the years, particularly when I moved to Brighton, switched jobs in the summer, and so forth, but I have been grateful for every waking moment. I've come into contact with some amazing people, and I often think about them at times, and I think about the good times I've had, and the good times I hope that we have in the future.

8. Salmon & other Fish - This one is a bit silly, but Ine can vouch for this. I love Salmon, and Tuna, and other fiiiish. So fucking tasty. Yumyum, gimme eeet all.

9. Smells - Ok, this is a strange one, but I love being able to smell things. I have about four different types of aftershaves that I rotate, because they all smell so different, but I like them all for different reasons. Everyone has their particular smell, and I love the smell of things such as petrol, flowers, baked bread, and so many other things. :)

10. Smiling - This is a big one for me. I love most people, and I'll never have many bad things to say about someone, but I can't stand people who do not smile. A smile says so many things, and without a smile, I think a person can look empty. I like being able to make people laugh or smile, but I also like it when a person is able to make me smile. It's very important. I think a lot of people these days are too grumpy, and it's sad to walk down the street and see blank faces. But, seeing one smile from a random person can perk you up. It makes me happy.