Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

I'm 10% Dutch, 14% Welsh and 0.5% Iranian...

navarre

What actually determines your nationality? The nationality of your parents? The place you're born? The place you live? The place you're an official citizen of? Or ...?

The nationality of your ID is whatever you choose it to be.

The nationality/ethnicity we're discussing here is up to whatever you think you truly are, taking into consideration whatever you think it matters.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both my parents are English, so I presume I'd be that. I certainly abide by several of the cultural stereotypes.

The thing is, England was a bit of a whipping boy in the past — everyone had a go at invading it. And then over the last 50 years or so there's been immigration from all over the world, and they've had children born and raised in this country; that generation are no less English than I am. With those things in mind I don't think being English means much at a physiological level.

Basically, I see nationality as a psychological concept as opposed to an ancestral one. You assume the identity that best fits, not one foisted upon you.

What actually determines your nationality? The nationality of your parents? The place you're born? The place you live? The place you're an official citizen of? Or ...?

Basically, I see nationality as a psychological concept as opposed to an ancestral one. You assume the identity that best fits, not one foisted upon you.

My ex had an entire module based around the question what is nationality?, and it's most definitely not just these fields and rocks that Mr England stuck a flag into all those weeks ago. The sense of belonging is a tribal need to feel protected, a part of yaddah yaddah yaddah *points to flags, food, fashion, sports, then gives up with point*

Yeah, burning flags is so Middle-Eastern these days....:indeed::heh:

Yeah the whole island buttons, it IS one country after all, with one tumultuous history.

tell that to some people i work with *cough*

i consider myself irish - but my flatmate told me off last year for saying that, saying we were british

i;m irish goddamit. im STILL IN IRELAND

Hmmm, so many portuguese in Angola...How is the relationship between Angolese and Portuguese people?...You all get along in both countries?

It's more because of our parents and grandparents generations, lots of people lived and created family there. Right now, I suppose most of the portuguese that live there, do so because of work, a lot of companies invest in Angola.

With that said I don't know how things are rolling right now, I think I recall some racist crimes going on in Angola a few years back, with lots of white people getting killed, but I might be confusing things.

Hmmm, so many portuguese in Angola...How is the relationship between Angolese and Portuguese people?...You all get along in both countries?

Around 1 million white Portuguese came back from the colonies after their independence, their called retornados. The relation between white and black Portuguese was/is pretty good, the colonies we're treated like part of the country instead of subordinates.

As far as I'm aware I'm 100% English, but then I have ginger hair, but dunno where that comes from or how far back. Although my dad is Cornish, I know some people consider that area to be a whole different region/country! :heh:

The relation between the Angolan and the Portuguese is good.

As Shino said, colonies were well treated and we never had significant issues with racism.

It's pretty much the same with other former Portuguese colonies.

100% English, and I quite like being English - great place to be from! Pretty much English as far back as we know.. just have an Irish surname from somewhere...

Just wish people were more proud to be British.. as Andrew Marr put it, "Being born British is an incredible stroke of luck" (or words to that effect). SNP can fuck off.

100% african/ghanain but parents emigrated here (dad studied in uni way back in like the 60s) and gave birth to me over here so I could be considered British. But really when people ask where are you from, you may say London. Then they say No, where are you FROM, to which I reply ghana.

Tis hard to get a feeling of 'fit' though. When I went to ghana, I felt a lot like a foreigner rather than, "I am home". And, well, when I was in school at least, felt a lot like I didn't fit there, though it was a mainly white establishment with a lot of the kids being wealthy, when my family, at least over here, isn't.

And now, most of the people I interact would call themselves 'street' or 'ghetto' so imagine how well I fit there. Though I am more comfortable with myself nowadays so this does not really play on my mind anymore.

And dunno why King V but I thought you were Jamaican.

100% tuga, AFAIK

Sousa! I hate that! The Americans say it all the time. Britain is the Union of states including Scotland, Wales and England.

And I'm betting you were talking about the inhabitants of the USA. Did you know Canadians hate being called Americans? You might also be offending them by not saying: "The Californian Texans say it all the time."

I'm sorry but you're british.

What now?:indeed:

Wanna go?

100% tuga, AFAIK

And I'm betting you were talking about the inhabitants of the USA. Did you know Canadians hate being called Americans? You might also be offending them by not saying: "The Californian Texans say it all the time."

I'm sorry but you're british.

What now?:indeed:

Wanna go?

Well just as canada/mexico/brazil et al are part of The Americas, it's just as apt to call anyone from the continent "american". Did you know that there are many (not going to generalise) people who hate being called British, and much rather would be called irish, scottish, welsh or english.

Well just as canada/mexico/brazil et al are part of The Americas, it's just as apt to call anyone from the continent "american". Did you know that there are many (not going to generalise) people who hate being called British, and much rather would be called irish, scottish, welsh or english.

Except, y'know, those countries are not united by a treaty that says they're all in a single country. :heh: Add that to "Americans" becoming synonym with "people from the US" and we have pretty good reasons for them to not like being called that.

Oh well, I guess you just need a few more centuries to get used to the idea of a united Britain. :heh:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!