Euro 2008: Who Will You Support?

Daft

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking yes.

You're probably right. :p

It's still better than that one time I heard someone calling José Mourinho, "Hosé". They probably do it all the time, but I only heard it once. Damn the international Spanish influence...

Oh Dear Lord. Christiano. Never thought of that.

Meh, no big deal. Such a pun could boost his ego a little more, but I don't think that's needed. :p

There is no football this Summer, I don't know what you're all talking about.

However, to play along with this fantasy of yours, I would say that Germany look likely candidates as usual.

Don't think I'll be supporting anyone. I'm just gonna enjoy the football. Although I am partial to the Dutch (Robin van Persie)/French (Thierry Henry, Samir Nasri)/Spanish (Cesc Fabulous).

Hope its a good tournament!

Here rooting for my country of course.

I never really got "why" people root for their own countries... What is it? Like national pride or something? I always like the philosophy of rooting for the country with the best team.

Anywho, I'm on the same boat as Murray, I fucking hate the thing.

The Netherlands all the way baby! Rooting for them, and infuriating my own kin since 1998 (aka, DENNIS BERGKAMP DENNIS BERGKAMP DENNIS BERGKAMP OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH FRANK DE BOER SPEELT DE BAL EN DENNIS BERGKAMP NEEMT'M AAN EN SCHIET'M ERIN!!!). Ahum.

In all honesty though, they have a midfield and attack of wonder and joy and goodness and such, but their defence misses someone like Van Aerle, Rijkaard, Koeman, or Van Tiggelen. Oh whoops, that's the line of '88 :P

There is no football this Summer, I don't know what you're all talking about.

Or what a fantasy it would indeed be if there were two football events this summer! And one of them was in Beijing! During a thing called the Olympics!

I never really got "why" people root for their own countries... What is it? Like national pride or something? I always like the philosophy of rooting for the country with the best team.

Anywho, I'm on the same boat as Murray, I fucking hate the thing.

It's kind of the essence of football, you pick a team and root for it despite being the best or not.

It's kind of the essence of football, you pick a team and root for it despite being the best or not.

Wich is probably why I hate it. I can't understand that... following something blindly for no reason whatsoever just isn't for me. If I was forced to choose a country to support, I think I'd choose Brazil, as they're the ones with the most titles and weigh. But since A) I don't like football and B) It's a European cup, it really doesn't matter. :S

I'd root for Portugal in hockey, since we rock at that. :heh:

Wich is probably why I hate it. I can't understand that... following something blindly for no reason whatsoever just isn't for me. If I was forced to choose a country to support, I think I'd choose Brazil, as they're the ones with the most titles and weigh. But since A) I don't like football and B) It's a European cup, it really doesn't matter. :S

I'd root for Portugal in hockey, since we rock at that. :heh:

Its like religion, its a faith thing and people like competition. As long as you take it light heartily and immerse in the national hype, its awesome.

Not to mention that it's more fun to root for an underdog, than the actual favourite to win.

Maybe that's why the Portuguese love their team. Until they actually win something noteworthy, they will always be underdogs.

Its like religion, its a faith thing and people like competition. As long as you take it light heartily and immerse in the national hype, its awesome.

Not to mention that it's more fun to root for an underdog, than the actual favourite to win.

Maybe that's why the Portuguese love their team. Until they actually win something noteworthy, they will always be underdogs.

Granted, what I don't get is why Portuguese support Portugal, and English support Englang and so on, like, why do people support their own countries?

I never questioned it being like a religion or the fact that underdogs are more awesome to root for (specially one that plays good football, like us). I just don't get the "I'm Portuguese, I support Portugal" thing, it makes little sense unless I try and look at it from a national-pride point of view.

Czech Republic, Italy, and Netherlands for the win!

Apart from the obvious lack of England and Scotland (and Wales...), I'm disappointed at Ukraine being missing...

Also, despite coming close, Northern Ireland didn't make it through this year either.

Granted, what I don't get is why Portuguese support Portugal, and English support Englang and so on, like, why do people support their own countries?

I never questioned it being like a religion or the fact that underdogs are more awesome to root for (specially one that plays good football, like us). I just don't get the "I'm Portuguese, I support Portugal" thing, it makes little sense unless I try and look at it from a national-pride point of view.

It's just the most natural thing in the world, it's a team that's representing our country, it's not really hard to understand. Of course there's nothing wrong with supporting other teams. Not to mention despite being the underdogs, we, like you said, play good football.

Portugal play good football, no doubt about it. You've produced some great players like Eusebio, Luis Figo, Cristiano Ronaldo (although some will beg to differ), Rui Costa and Nuno Gomes to name a few, and I'm pretty sure that that Joao Moutinho, though still a bit young, will be a fantastic player.