N-Europe

Good Friday = No Meat Eating

Mokong

This is a Roman Catholic tradition following the practice of Christ and the Jews in setting aside days where the church fasts and prays as one in a constant attitude of renewal and worship. Abstaining from meat is a form of fasting, and Good Friday is typically a day where this is practised because of it being a day to which special significance is attached in remembering Jesus' death.

I don't practice this tradition - but I respect the idea. There's little value in doing it just for the sake of it though.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a Roman Catholic tradition following the practice of Christ and the Jews in setting aside days where the church fasts and prays as one in a constant attitude of renewal and worship. Abstaining from meat is a form of fasting, and Good Friday is typically a day where this is practised because of it being a day to which special significance is attached in remembering Jesus' death.

Something just occurred to me..... why do they call it "Good Friday"

or was the name thought up by a non-christian as a joke that the christians of the time didn't get:heh:

or was the name thought up by a non-christian as a joke that the christians of the time didn't get:heh:

Either it's ironic or it's because Jesus died for our sins; methinks the latter.

Re: evolution - I see no problem with God orchestrating it, though the nudgy thing really grates as I'm sure you'd be able to tell. Surely God could big bang the universe and be awesome enough to see the consequences of this right down to present day? Okay, there're random factors involved but this is a perfect being we're talking about. :heh:

On topic: I'd vaguely heard of this meat thingy, and never followed it, at least not on purpose.

Im about to eat duck from the chinese so..

That's practically fish, you're fine.

I had tuna pasta for breakfast, so I guess I'm a-ok? Got a tin of corned beef that's been giving me the eye for a while now, that I might just guzzle down with a tin of beans and a stack of bread and a moat of pot-noodle.

I came thinking about it.

I just had a huge bastard of a hot dog. (Well, it wasn't actually a hot dog. It was a bunch of sausages in a baguette.)

I eat meat every day. I could actually tell you what meat I eat on a particular day. :smile:

Hope dinastygal's reading this.

Exactly what I was thinking. :kiss:

I believe it's because Jesus predicted that what he would be crucified and it came true.

*Eats a chicken in front of RoadKill to see what sort of reaction he would get.*

If you think I'd even slightly care, you have no idea how wrong you are, I've been vegan for ~7 years or something stupid, and I've heard it all, and to be honest I rarely tell anyone I am because I hate the way people might change how they view you

If you think I'd even slightly care, you have no idea how wrong you are, I've been vegan for ~7 years or something stupid, and I've heard it all, and to be honest I rarely tell anyone I am because I hate the way people might change how they view you

You should have been here during the dynastygal debacle. Some of us are still trying to get over it... :shakehead

Not me, though. Some of the other forum members.