N-Europe

Best "bad" ending to a film

Dog-amoto

Got to be said, I love films where they don't end the way you expect them to. Every now and then, it's good to know that the bad guy can win!

So what're your favourites? May be best to use spoiler tags for those who haven't seen them, but for some reason, they don't work for me, so I'll just post some titles. Some of my favourites:

Arlington Road

Saw

Usual Suspects

How 'bout yours?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too sure about The Usual Suspects being a 'bad' ending. Sure, the person in question was an antagonist, but, y'know, you sort of rooted for him. I completely agree with Arlington Road though. I was completely blown away by the ending (even if the rest of the film was pretty meh).

Anyway, to add to the list, Carlito's Way

How about Rocky?

My thoughts exactly :D

I'm sure everyone was upset when Rocky lost, but they also felt happy that he lasted the distance. It's a great movie in that sense; it doesn't go overboard and making it too make-believe by making him win. Despite the fact that he loses he still comes out a winner.

The Butterfly Effect (Director's Cut) had what you could consider a "bad" ending. And it makes sense, because it's more of a good ending.

For those who want to know (different ending in the DC version):

In the middle of the film, Evan (Ashton Kutcher) visits a psychic that tells him that he shouldn't been born. His mother tells him she had two stillbirths before having him.

In the last part, instead of the birthday scene, he sees a movie of him being born. He flashbacks to his birth, killing himself in the womb.

His mother then has a fourth child, a girl (who probably hasn't a Butterfly effect). The lives of everyone else become happier.

I guess the original is also sad, but this one is sadder.

The correct answer is Chinatown.

Bingo. : peace:

EDIT:

The Butterfly Effect (Director's Cut) had what you could consider a "bad" ending. And it makes sense, because it's more of a good ending.

For those who want to know (different ending in the DC version):

In the middle of the film, Evan (Ashton Kutcher) visits a psychic that tells him that he shouldn't been born. His mother tells him she had two stillbirths before having him.

In the last part, instead of the birthday scene, he sees a movie of him being born. He flashbacks to his birth, killing himself in the womb.

His mother then has a fourth child, a girl (who probably hasn't a Butterfly effect). The lives of everyone else become happier.

I guess the original is also sad, but this one is sadder.

Hmm, I always thought that was the "normal" ending, seen that it was the one I saw in the theater and the dvd...

The "original" ending is just terrible. I'm glad Portugal got that one right.

Guest Stefkov

Full Metal Alchemist movie.

Terminator. I'll be back to save you 3 times, oh wait the world wil end anyway, there was no point in the first two movies.

Terminator. I'll be back to save you 3 times, oh wait the world wil end anyway, there was no point in the first two movies.
#

The plan was to protect John, not stop Skynet.

Reservoir Dogs?

I can't remember if anyone survives.

They leave it open to speculation.