Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Your Top 3 Books

Charlie

So what are your top 3 books of all time? I would've put favourite book of all time, but I can't decide between my top two so it has to be 3. :heh:

1) River God - Wilbur Smith

Set in Ancient Egypt, 4000 years ago, it's the story of a eunuch slave, Taita, written in 3rd person by Taita (you don't actually know this whilst reading but you find out in "The Seventh Scroll" which is a present day sequel). Taita is owned by Pharaoh Mamose's best friend, Lord Naja, and has been set the lifelong task of looking after his daughter, Lostriss. Taita is also one of the cleverest people ever, a brilliant mathematician, physist, chemist amongst other things. "River God" follows the life of Taita with Lostriss, war, love, corruption are in all this novel.

I highly recommend you all read this book, it is probably the (joint) best book I've ever read.

Sequels:

"The Seventh Scroll" - Present day, people trying to find out where Taita buried the Pharaoh whilst being attacked by the local Ethiopeans who also want the funerary treasure.

"Warlock" - back with Taita. Mamose's (Nefer) grandson is heir to the phrone but there is a plot to murder him by the Regent who has married both Nefer's sisters. Nefer flees and builds up an army....

1) "The Pillars of the Earth" - Ken Follet

Set 800 years ago, it follows the lives of a family of mason's, whose dream it is to build a cathedral. The Bishop, a power-hungry bastard, doesn't want this new cathedral to be built because the Prior will become too powerful tries to stop it by getting the local Baron to attack it.

3) "To Kill A Mockingbird" - Harper Lee

"Scout... you never really understand a person... until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."

In Alabama in the 1930s, a lawyer is called to defend the case of a black man wrongly accused of rape. The local community is stretched to acknowledge the deep racism that exists within it and the lawyer is aware that he losing an important battle. But it is one he knows he has to fight.

This is Atticus, the father of two mischevious and intelligent children. It is a motherless family and Atticus strives hard to pass on his values to Jem and Scout and to bring them up as a gentleman and lady -- in his vision of what this means. As a father he is constant, warm, firm, fair and understanding.

Here is where the story lies -- in the exploits of these two children and their maturing minds. They play games, fight, lie, take care of each other, and most of all, are mystified by the ways of a secret neighbour Boo Radley. Their childlike world runs parallel but separate to the world of death, crime and racism and at the point that the two touch there are explosions. Jem grows wiser, Dill cries for the convicted innocent man, Scout survives an attack on her life...

Most of all, I found this book a beautiful tale of wise fatherly love. It described some brilliant parenting of two young children against a world that can be dark and ignorant. I loved the family; I loved Atticus, I loved Jem, I loved Scout. They were all similar in so many ways they were one - the Finches. And both Jem and Scout were growing into the mould their father had cast.

I can understand the hit this made in the 1960s and the desire to put in on the school curriculum in Britain in the 1980s and 1990s by those who were touched by it a generation earlier. On the negative side, the political viewpoint that is presented through the eyes of a child is a quaint vision that is too simple -- it is not so true that children are innocent until misguided by the world and that they cry more easily for wrongs committed than adults. And although the idea that a child can teach us something, sometimes it was a little too overdone in this book.

(amazon review, the first 2 reviews were made up by me just now)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have river god and read the first few chapters but for some reason stopped, i can't remember why, coz i was really enjoying it. to know there's sequels has gotten me picking it outta my book shelf again, must get back to it!

my favourite books of all time:

1) The War Of The Worlds by HG Wells

An absolute classic, written in the first person when England is attacked by giant cylinders from space containing the martians and their deadly tripod fighting machines. The first really of its kind, written in 1898 this book has never been bettered in my opinion. Incredibly realistic, detailed and terrifying, a true classic piece of literature which never gets old no matter how many times you read it. If you thought the scene with Tim Robbins at the end of the recent remake was nerve-wracking, you've experienced nothing until you've read this book!

2) White Shark by Peter Benchley

My fave movie of all time is Jaws, but in truth I think the original novel wasn't up to much, probably because the movie is so different and I love it so much. But White Shark is superb, from the same author. It was made into a tv mini-series called "Creature" but they changed too much of the plot as per usual. A Nazi experiment resurfaces decades after the war, a genetic experiment that causes terror for Simon Chase, a marine biologist running his own institute for marine conservation. It truly deserved to be made into a proper mini-series or movie that could've been a Jaws-beater!! Intricate characters, deep story, and suspence galore. Un-put-down-able, as reviewers might say lol.

3) Ok, I have a choice of two, but did you mention it had to be fiction...? I'll be brief and just mention titles coz its after midnight and im up for work early :S

For fiction it'd probably be Dracula by Bram Stoker...

For non-fiction it'd be Michael Moore's Dude Where's My Country?

So fiction or non-fiction be ok? I'l write a proper summary on either one sure tomorrow. nightie-night lol.

In no particular order (I'm not choosing an absolute favourite; these are just three very good books.

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell- Too complex to describe acurately in this space. Also too brilliant. Gets better every time you read it.

Actually I can't think of anything more now, and I'm not changing the rest of my post. :heh:

This is tough, as there are so many good children's books that i've read when i was a young 'un and so many books i haven't read.

I think this is probably the best order for me:

1. Northern Lights- Philip Pullman

I love this book. I would even go as far to say that this book re-kindled my love for reading. It's been a long time since a book grasped my attention, which is an even better reason why i think this book means a lot to me. Great story, fantastic characters, and it has a nice hidden charm that is waiting to be unearthed. :)

2. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- Roald Dahl

I've got so many fond memories of this book. As a child, i think i read this many times. Seeing both film adaptions also re-enforced my love for this book. I think you have to be a child in order to fully appreciate this, as nothing is perhaps more greater than a child's imagination. I had great fun reading this.

3. 1984- George Orwell

I've only read this book once, but it is one of those books where you are constantly thinking about it after you read it. There's so many issues and themes within it that ask questions of us all. The ending, especially the last sentence, sends shivers down my spine everytime i think about it.

That is a good book. Did you read it in German? (being English, I read a translation)

No, I read it in Dutch. Got it for my birthday from my mom when I was a kid, and I have read it multiple times since then. Awesome book with nice illustrations.

The Book of Mormon Bit of a religious one, but it's one that means a lot to me. Most, if not all, of my life choices are based around my experience with this one.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy I first read this when I was in secondary school and couldn't believe that a book could be so funny. I immediately read the rest of the series, but this one remains my favourite as it got me into books that are funny.

His Dark Materials Not really a book, but I consider it one. Some great moments that stir genuine emotion and that's unusual for a bunch of text. When the bear does the thing to the bear and then eats the thing, at the end of the first book I was like "YEAH!!!".

(Good thread, by the way.)

So what are your top 3 books of all time? I would've put favourite book of all time, but I can't decide between my top two so it has to be 3. :heh:

1) River God - Wilbur Smith

Set in Ancient Egypt, 4000 years ago, it's the story of a eunuch slave, Taita, written in 3rd person by Taita (you don't actually know this whilst reading but you find out in "The Seventh Scroll" which is a present day sequel). Taita is owned by Pharaoh Mamose's best friend, Lord Naja, and has been set the lifelong task of looking after his daughter, Lostriss. Taita is also one of the cleverest people ever, a brilliant mathematician, physist, chemist amongst other things. "River God" follows the life of Taita with Lostriss, war, love, corruption are in all this novel.

I highly recommend you all read this book, it is probably the (joint) best book I've ever read.

Sequels:

"The Seventh Scroll" - Present day, people trying to find out where Taita buried the Pharaoh whilst being attacked by the local Ethiopeans who also want the funerary treasure.

"Warlock" - back with Taita. Mamose's (Nefer) grandson is heir to the phrone but there is a plot to murder him by the Regent who has married both Nefer's sisters. Nefer flees and builds up an army....

I'm going to claim that I told you about those books.:kiss:

I always find this difficult, but here goes:

One Flew Over The Cookoos Nest

This tells the story of a group of patients in a psychiatric ward ruled over in tyranny by a brutal head nurse. The plot is concerned with the arrival of a new patient on the ward who may or may not be insane and his valiant, tragic battle against the opressive regime on the ward. totally brilliant novel.

Owells classic, darkly futuristic attack on opression and the death of civil liberty. Everyone should read this book- it's easily one of the most powerful, utterly terrifying novels ever written, yet also odly beutiful.

Of Mice and Men

This is, in my oppinion,the greatest novels ever on the subject of friendship. Set in depression era California, George is a landless labourer moving from ranch to ranch with his mentally retarded companion. Together they chase the almost impossible American Dream of buying a small farm together and escaping the hard and abusive lives they lead. A true classic. Beutiful, tragic, melancholy and utterly, utterly brilliant.

1. Catcher in the Rye- Definitely a book all teenagers should read. Probably my favourite of all time because I'm more or less Holden Caufield.

2. The Twits- Why? because it was so much fun for me to read when I was a kid. No one who ever read The Twits will ever forget the constant pranking part of the book.

3. The Godfather- I haven't actually finished reading this yet, so I'm not sure if I can put it in, but so far I'm totally compelled. Hell, it's even better than the movie. At least it's so much more detailed.

No, I read it in Dutch. Got it for my birthday from my mom when I was a kid, and I have read it multiple times since then. Awesome book with nice illustrations.

Bah! Mine had no illustrastions... I got very into it though- I remember my English teacher couldn't believe that I'd read it in 2 days. (I must have been about 10)

These are just 3 great books that I picked from the top of my head (with a short glance at my shelf). I wouldn't say they're my 3 favourites, just 3 that need mentioning.

3. Rainbow Six (Tom Clancy)

This book is just cool. Someone else put it forward already. Something about the pure elitism of the unit, the way every terrorist organisation completely underestimates their skill. This book is the reason I can't stand the idiots in ITV's "Ultimate Force". If you're not Rainbow Six, you're not an ultimate force.

2. A Secret History (Donna Tartt)

I don't really know what it was I loved about this story. It's a basic concept with some twists and doesn't seem to have a complete idea of where it's going or what it's point is, but the writing is brilliant and all the characters are very intriguing.

1. Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk)

No matter how much you love the movie, the original dwarfs it. Being able to represent those minds slowly falling out of the loop without giving anything away, a twisted mix of narratives, the style of writing changes about seven times and is always arguing against consumerism between the lines, genius. A total pageturner, even if you already know what happens next.

The Shining

The most terrifying thing ever. Before this I didn't know a book could actually scare you.

Of Mice and Men

Gripping is all I can say about it. I studied it this year for GCSE and one guy in my class cried at the end (OK so he was a wimp but still). Just brilliant and with so many layers that you'll notice more and more details the more myou read through it.

Hannibal

Brilliantly written, in a truly chilling way that surpasses the movie in every way. Somehow reading through this makes Dr. Hannibal Lecter seem more scary and more sinister. Also the plot twists (which will surprise people who have seen the movie) just make it better than other pshcological thrillers of this kind.

Runner up have to be the Dark Tower series, Lord of the Rings series, Dreamcatcher and a few more which I'm unable to recall at the moment.

Books I'm about to read which may make the list are Silence of the Lambs (I know, read hannibal but not this :heh:), War of the Worlds and grapes of Wrath

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!