Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Sadness

Stocka

• 3 years later...

Nope it isn't April 1st.

Errr so Sadness isn't dead and it's coming to Wii U!!!!!

There's an interview here:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/05/exclusive_lost_wii_game_sadness_to_be_revived_as_wii_u_exclusive

Lost Wii Game, Sadness, To Be Revived as Wii U Exclusive

Now, however it is coming back. We can exclusively reveal that independent developers HullBreach Studios — working on HullBreach: Uncloaked for the Wii U eShop — and Cthulhi Games — developing Ex Oblivione for Wii U — are teaming up to collaborate on Sadness as a Wii U exclusive. The project will be discussed and details revealed as 2014 progresses, and it's targeting a 2016 release.

Nope it isn't April 1st.

Errr so Sadness isn't dead and it's coming to Wii U!!!!!

There's an interview here:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/05/exclusive_lost_wii_game_sadness_to_be_revived_as_wii_u_exclusive

Lost Wii Game, Sadness, To Be Revived as Wii U Exclusive

You sure we all haven't time travelled?

No... That's definitely a U after that Wii name...

Well, OK then... Who saw that coming?

I know lol....

Other "facts" from interview:

• Game has shifted to 2D
  • Being developed using Unity Engine.
  • Developed by two no name developers: HullBreach Studios — working on HullBreach: Uncloaked for the Wii U eShop
    Cthulhi Games — developing Ex Oblivione for Wii U

I know lol....

Other "facts" from interview:

• Game has shifted to 2D
  • Being developed using Unity Engine.
  • Developed by two no name developers: HullBreach Studios — working on HullBreach: Uncloaked for the Wii U eShop
    Cthulhi Games — developing Ex Oblivione for Wii U

I wonder what warranted that change. That's no minor thing there.

What is it? Never heard of it.

A survival horror game that was meant to come out ages ago on the Wii, like really early in the Wii life, I recall it being announced right near the Wii's launch.

But it got stuck in development hell and vanished.

Well as expected turned out this was all BS:

UPDATE #2 21/05/2014 7.32pm: It appears that this Sadness resurrection won't be a Sadness game after all as the rights to the IP aren't for sale.

Partial Sadness IP rights owner and Blooper Team CEO Piotr Babieno - who inherited a portion of the IP from his former days at Nibris - told Eurogamer, "I can confirm [to] you that [the] Sadness IP wasn't for sale."

"They contacted me after publication about 'Sadness' resurrection,'" Babieno said of HullBreach Studios and Cthulhi Games' wishful announcement yesterday. The partial IP-owner noted that he's not been involved in any negotiations regarding selling the property.

Hullbreach's Randy Freer told NintendoLife that the IP is for sale, but there's a bidding war for it that the two small indie teams can't compete with. "The Sadness IP is in the hands of a consortium with four studios currently fighting for the bid, and that while we at HullBreach and Cthulhi would like to make a competing bid and secure rights to Sadness, unfortunately we cannot at this time," Freer explained. "Sorry to fans for any inconvenience."

It sounds like the rights owners are wishy-washy about whether the IP is for sale or not, but regardless it's clear that Hullbreach and Cthulhi aren't going to be able to snatch them.

UPDATE 21/5/14 08.30am: Sadness' new co-developer Cthulhi Games has told Eurogamer that it is still waiting to hear from the game's original creators about its use of their IP - but will continue making the project regardless of the response.

"We very recently have contacted the old developers to obtain rights to the what little IP actually existed and their blessing," Cthuli's Jeremy Kleve wrote. "Should they work against us we are prepared to change the title of the game and drop any usage of their IP, this however will not slow us down in the least since most of their ideas were just ideas.

"Sadness had us intrigued since it began years ago, and we decided recently that we didn't want to let it die off completely. We would have acted sooner if we were capable back then, but as you know the consoles weren't as open to indies as they are now."

Two hacks trying to raise their profiles in my view.

I kinda hope they don't get the IP. This is no "Duke Nukem Forever" type story where they revive the game and complete it (or even in this case remake it the way it was meant to be), but a completely different 2D game that's hardly going to be using the Wii controller in an immersive way.

• 3 months later...

http://www.giantbomb.com/sadness-solitude/3030-47467/

Sadness & Solitude is a 2D horror-RPG developed by HullBreach Studios and SinnDevelopment for Wii U and Xbox One. Inspired by the canceled Wii title Sadness, the game is presented entirely in black and white. The main gameplay perspective is a two-dimensional sidescrolling view but there are also third person areas with the gameplay camera positioned behind the player character. Mechanically, Sadness & Solitude takes inspiration from the NES game Friday the 13th.