N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

I love Amelie!

aeon_flux_front_cover.jpg

Aeon Flux

I'd never seen this film before last night, it just happened to be on Film 4 when I had nothing to do.

I'm really glad I watched it, I love the story, the characters everything and its set in such a beautiful place!

10/10

Hellboy II - The Golden Army

Stars Ron Pearlman. I did watch the original a while back, can't be bothered to review it again. Good sequel, and after watching a few of the extras i have discovered just how more expensive it was to produce than the previous. Still can't believe it took 2 actors to portray Dr Kaufman (that robot thingy).

8.8/10

Hellboy II - The Golden Army

Stars Ron Pearlman. I did watch the original a while back, can't be bothered to review it again. Good sequel, and after watching a few of the extras i have discovered just how more expensive it was to produce than the previous. Still can't believe it took 2 actors to portray Dr Kaufman (that robot thingy).

8.8/10

As much as I enjoy the idea of the Hellboy Universe, the way they ended The Golden Army just pisses me off. A lot.

Fanboys

This really does have to be one of my favourite road movies ever. I mean the sheer amount of geek references in it is brilliant (and im even a trekkie, something that gets the piss taken out of shit loads in this film). It really does need a UK release, I heard a rumour that its possible out here June/July so fingers crossed.

Plus Kristen Bell......

bell_leia_still_big_1.jpg

IronMan-2-teaser.jpg

Awesome. Obviously. Absolutely amazing cast. Sam Rockwell is brilliant, and Mickey Rourke is a fucking awesome villain. Deliciously evil and intelligent and rough. So good. Some great action.

the tiny amount of screen time that Whiplash in his final amazing suit got

But apart from that loved it. Black Widow is so sexy its offensive.

8.9/10

Iron Man 2 gets a 7.5/10 from me. A deliciously enjoyable action romp that suffered from a few stumbling flaws, but for the most part they couldn't detract from the flow of the film, certainly not in the way Scarlett Johannson did.

1. Too many different storylines/things for Stark to overcome, not enough focus on a single one. There were so many antagonists all having to share screen time, hence why Mickey-fatfingers-Rourke didn't get nearly enough action. The problems Stark had to overcome included (but were not limited to)

My Daddy didn't love me

My heart isn't working

Need to invent a new element

Some guy is trying to kill me

The government hates me

Shield hates me

My friend who had a face transplant since the first film hates me

Pepper hates me

2. The ending was weak for 2 reasons, that awkward and stupid kiss for one thing, but before that Whiplash claiming "you lose" before activating his bombs ridiculously long fuses. It's Iron Man ffs, he has rocket boots! Why give him a 15 second headstart?

Also Black Widow was hot- but sort of ridiculous in her unrealistic athleticism, and whatever she had on her wrist looked really tacky, like they made it out of cut off straws and papier mache.

But that aside it was funny, the action was great, the visuals were impeccable. The story, while full of many criss-crossing avenues, was actually enjoyable and much easier to follow than some reviews were making out. I was worried that the second film was going to be along the same lines as Spidey 3, but thankfully that wasn't the case :)

ReZ, did you stay for the after-credits Easter Egg this time?

Edited by Shorty

I counter, regarding Black Widows athleticism; but you don't have a problem with flying robot suits? :p

And also that you could group some of the things he had to overcome together.

Yeah I stayed for the Easter Egg and thought it was slightly meh. Because we know that that is going to happen, so its not a big surprise or anything.

Has anyone seen Hot Tub Time Machine yet? Is it a kind of silly/cheesy okay, or just lame? I've got two free tickets on Tuesday but don't know whether to go.

And anyone other than ReZ, who has lower expectations from comedy than I do :heh:

Has anyone seen Hot Tub Time Machine yet? Is it a kind of silly/cheesy okay, or just lame? I've got two free tickets on Tuesday but don't know whether to go.

And anyone other than ReZ, who has lower expectations from comedy than I do :heh:

I havent seen it but I did like the look of it from the trailers

I did see someone describe 'it making the hangover look good' but then I did quite enjoy The Hangover. Id say see it, trailer looks amusing.

Rewatched Nick and Norah, which I just love despite slight crapness. Fancy the pants off Norah.

Rewatched Adventureland with a friend, which I still love also, even if Kristen Stewart or whatever is slightly less fanciable.

Watched Almost Famous which wasn't quite as good as I thought it would be but still amused.

Just came from Iron Man 2 and found it a bit average (above average).

Mostly because the plot was focusing on way too many things and just went deus ex machina on way too many too many plot points and some of the dialogue just annoyed me and made me want to scream: "Get on with it!"

Other than that, it was an enjoyable action film with good performances all around.

I expected more but, I had a very good time watching and was not disappointed (much).

Also, trivial things.

Will Arnett would have been an awesome casting for Justin Hammer.

will_arnett.jpg

Terrence Howard was a much better choice for War Machine then Don Cheadle, dunno why they changed actors so I cannot comment much on that.

Every scene with the shield agents made me want to see a film about them.

I am really looking forward to it. The cast is brilliant. Everything I've seen Clark Duke in (admitadly not much) but I've absolutely loved him in. And freaking Craig Robinson is amazing.

"Must be some kind of....hot tub time machine....*looks at camera*"

Looks brilliant. :santa::p

ya iron man 2 isn't too good.

Its very enjoyable but it could have been way shorter and seems to suffer from spiderman 3's problem where there is so many god damn subplots or shit going on.

its fun but the first one is way better.

7/10

Edited by mcj metroid

Every scene with the shield agents made me want to see a film about them.

The Avengers is going to be very S.H.I.E.L.D focused if the rumours of it being based on The Ultimates (alternative universe Avengers book from Marvel) are true.

The Ultimates is all about the morality of a government sponsored super hero team- superhumans as super weapons, if you will. S.H.I.E.L.D is the govt organisation behind The Ultimates so Nick Fury is front and center

The Avengers movie is apparently a kind of adaptation of that story using the standard Marvel Universe versions of The Avengersv rather than The Ultimates :

Ultimate Thor

ultimate_thor.jpg

Thor

thor7var.jpg

Movie Thor:

thor1.jpg

etc

I'll be stunned if the team (in the Avengers film) is the exact same with one extraordinary joke. Like Mantis.

That said, I'd be as happy with just Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Wasp and Giant Man.

I have no judgement of Black Widow's possible involvement as I haven't seen Iron Man 2 yet.

I'll be stunned if the team (in the Avengers film) is the exact same with one extraordinary joke. Like Mantis.

That said, I'd be as happy with just Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Wasp and Giant Man.

I have no judgement of Black Widow's possible involvement as I haven't seen Iron Man 2 yet.

I would imagine she'll definitely be in it, almost certainly on the team.

I hope.

It's a shame that Fox probably have options on Quicksilver and The Scarlett Witch but at least we can expect Hawkeye and the rest.

obviously pure fantasy but The Avengers 2 should definitely move towards characters that have thrived in the team books that nobody knows otherwise like Ms Marvel and Black Panther