Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Mr Deeds.

Terrible. But the bit where she has a smack-down with the overweight woman and manages to get run straight into her fist had me in fits. I looped it and watched it about 20 times over, all whilst rolling round in hysterics on the sofa.

It's no Happy Gilmore.

See No Evil

Stars Glenn "Kane" Jacobs. It's basically a survival horror, with a difference. I'm not spoiling it for anyone, but it is one gory movie.

There was 1 scene i watched again, these were

When Kane was hauling one of the victims back up to the window that she was escaping from. Probably one of the only times in the whole film when he listened and "let her go".

9/10

I love Monsters VS Aliens. :D My only gripe is that it really is Monsters vs ALIEN. There is only one (albeit multiplied.) There are more giant robots than Aliens!

BOLT

images_1-7488.jpg

I forgot how awesome this is! :grin: I loved it to bits. Seemed a bit shorter this time round but it retained the funnies and I enjoyed the whole journey and the story is very well told. Unlike some of these animated features (I'm looking at you Bee Movie) which forget to make it in anyway interesting!

8/10

The Accidental Spy

Stars my favorite guy from Hong Kong, Jackie Chan!!. Pretty good film, based around America and Turkey. Some pretty impressive stunts, including

Chan rolling down the up and down escalator handles to pick-up stolen money.

Using 2 umbrellers to "glide" down from the Turkish Bath-house.

This shall receive an 8/10 from me

Zombie Land

Fuckin Ace.

Seriously. This film basically ticks every genre box and brings something new to the genre too. Loved the cast. Loved the rules. Loved the gore.

Bill Murray. Best cameo ever?

"any regrets?"

"....Garfield, maybe..."

*Everyone nods*

Just great.

The Men Who Stare At Goats

Quite funny in places but it thought it was funnier than it actually was. Didn't really make me laugh out loud like with Zombieland, just a smile here or there. It's a pretty damn weird film.

Don't know what score to give it really. Probably wouldn't recommend though.

Zombie Land

Fuckin Ace.

Seriously. This film basically ticks every genre box and brings something new to the genre too. Loved the cast. Loved the rules. Loved the gore.

Bill Murray. Best cameo ever?

"any regrets?"

"....Garfield, maybe..."

*Everyone nods*

Just great.

I shook wildly in agreement in my seat at that line. Uncontrollably, almost.

Went to watch the new Christmas Carol film in 3D (i know a bit early for Christmas stuff, but I wanted to watch a 3D film and I love the Christmas Carol story overall anyway.

Was a good film but still didn't top my fav version Muppets Christmas Carol.

The animation was top notch and the 3D was great, loved it when it was snowing, me wife next to me kept putting her hand out to catch it, haha. Voice acting was decent overall too. Only problem I had with it was when Scrooges nephew was first introduced his voice just didn't seem to fit right... but in his other (few) scenes it was ok.

I think also the transition of Scrooge to a nice guy didn't come across as well, it just seemed too sudden, you didn't really get a full sense of it like I think Michael Cain managed to pull off in the Muppets version.

It was still an enjoyable film though, the scene in the Cratchit house that the Ghost of Christmas present shows Scrooge still gets to me when Tiny Tim enters scene. But felt a like the scene was a bit short still.

I'd give it 8/10

Think the reason I love the Muppets version so much is the music in it. The songs just ad more to the emotion of the story and feeling of Christmas, will be digging it out for viewing in December.

Funny Games (2007)

Thought this was fucking amazing. Stunning (not an overuse here) direction and poignant use of camera shots, and I was just shaking, cryng etc. throughout. It's so unnerving cause it literally involved you the viewer in such a horrific situation, which, normally, relegated to film, you could sort of box up and hope it never happens in real life. Brilliant, and great performances from all, especially Naomi Watts. The one scene which must have been 8 minutes or something where the camera moves along to the left once, of her "struggle" was "!!!!".

9/10

Purple Rain

This was awful. A genuinely awful film. The music was obviously AMAZING, but there's a reason the album is so famous, and the film isn't. Most of the dramatic bits were just funny, and the pacing was abominable, as was most of the acting.

But seeing Prince perform on stage is quite an experience, so those bits were good. Loved the weird kick-flip thing he does with the mic stand in Darling Nikki. But yeah, just buy the album and pretend the film doesn't exist.

3/10

3676017L.jpg

Star Wars: Episode III- Revenge of the Sith

Yoda looks awesome and loved the big fight.

9/10

922.jpg

Blood: The Last Vampire

I don't know what to say about this if I'm honest. On my first watch, I didn't like it but now I kind of do. It was very boring and dragged in some parts but the action was brilliant.

7/10

Up

Great.

The start was a lot better than the rest though. I cried, I wept at the introduction. So sad - and dealt with a fear of mine that I'll live my life never doing the things I want to do - genuinely emotive, and made me really feel for Carl as a character, something which I didn't expect to do, considering I hate old people.

I disliked the improbability of the rest of the film. How an old man is athletically able to do all those things like

outrun dogs WTF!?. And why didn't they just use Kevin to get them back into the house?

Really funny in places. Just really great comic timing. Some bits I could tell were supposed to be funny, but weren't, and some bits were hilarious where the intent wasn't there. I love Alpha's voice the most. A stunning addition to the film.

I liked the inventiveness of the film. 'Twas expected really, considering the trailer was a teaser at best, and Pixar is so great at telling stories.

Loved how it dealt with the fact that many children don't come from the perfect family. Genuinely sad for Russel. Although I didn't get one bit:

He said at one point that his dad doesn't go camping etc with him, and then later on he contradicts himself by saying that he does do all that stuff. Was he just lying to himself to ease the pain or whatever? Didn't get that...

Unexpectedly funny. Unexpectedly emotive. Tore my heart out at points. It could do with losing the shite action scenes (I hate the whole - "Everyone scream, they're up high, and could fall at any moment! (but we know they won't, so actually there's no thrill at all involved!)"), but overall a great, great film.

9.2/10

Up

Loved how it dealt with the fact that many children don't come from the perfect family. Genuinely sad for Russel. Although I didn't get one bit:

He said at one point that his dad doesn't go camping etc with him, and then later on he contradicts himself by saying that he does do all that stuff. Was he just lying to himself to ease the pain or whatever? Didn't get that...

9.2/10

I'm pretty sure he said

That his dad is really good at camping and stuff, but that he never does it with him. The first might be a lie, but if not it's sadder etc.

I though with Russel's dad that:

He was dead but Russel did not want to talk about it.

Which is why he said that his dad was good at camping but did not do it anymore with him.

Most likely its me reading too much into this, it just kinda stuck too me because when I left the cinema my friend said the same thing too me.

I though with Russel's dad that:

He was dead but Russel did not want to talk about it.

Which is why he said that his dad was good at camping but did not do it anymore with him.

Most likely its me reading too much into this, it just kinda stuck too me because when I left the cinema my friend said the same thing too me.

Russel mentions that he rings up his Dad and someone (I forgot the name) tells Russel to stop bugging his Dad - Carl asks "You call your Mother by her first name?" to which Russel explains "She's not my mum."

Simple answer: His Mum and Dad split up, and his Dad is living with someone else.