Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

The Shining

REALLY good, took me a long time to finally get this on DVD, but it was worth the wait.

Jack Nicholson is great, as is Shelly/Shirley Duvall. Is she Lambert in Alien? I recognised her perfect "OMFG crying, shaking, about to die" face from somewhere.

Genuinely chilling, without gore. What a real horror film is. And the ending felt somehow uncliched.

A wonderfully shot film too, as expected from Kubrick.

10/10

Ghostbusters II

Sequel to the original. Havn't seen it in years. Always loved the court room scene

Do-Ray-Egon!

Awesome movie, 8.5/10

Taken

Always trust your ex-MI6 Father. Awesome movie, Liam Neeson stars. 9/10

I didn't think taken was that good, it's no bourne ultimatum!

no it was quite bad really.. very generic movie.. pretty much the same as harrison fords firewall and about a million movies beforehand but It's the kind of movie we havent seen in years.. the proper one man army movie.

That's why it's so good.

oh dear... haha I should really stop coming onto this thread :D

I didn't really think Neeson was particularly believable in the role, and I don't think the rest of the film really lived up to the drama that was created by the kidnapping scene.

It was just, go here... beat people up, on to the next place, beat some people up...

Bourne Ultimatum would prob get a 9.5/10 from me,

In comparison I'd prob give Taken a solid 7/10.

I didn't really think Neeson was particularly believable in the role, and I don't think the rest of the film really lived up to the drama that was created by the kidnapping scene.

It was just, go here... beat people up, on to the next place, beat some people up...

I think that's what makes it so good actually. We need more movies with anti-heroes that hide under a pile of freshly killed corpses to shoot some more bad guys and then even more.

Sure the story is stupid to no ends and Neeson probably does the most unbelievable impression of someone on the phone I have ever seen but that movie is all about shooting bad guys and I think it does that in a very entertaining and varied manner.

I can't compare it to Bourne Ultimatum though, because I haven't seen that yet.

Sunshine Cleaning

I loved the whole film. :grin: Emily Blunt and Amy Adams were great! they really looked like Sisters. I story was wonderful and it was perfectly told. It unfolded naturally and was genuinely charming!

I almost cried at two points during the movie. I got really involved and laughed when they laughed and felt all the emotions throughtout. I thought it was excellent.

7 Bears out of 7.

Enchanted

Amy Adams again (didn't really plan that.) I delightful fairytale with a slight twist. The roles were very well cast and though the story was predictable it was fun to witness the whole affair unfold. I liked the fact it had a mixture of animation and live action and I've had the songs in my head the rest of the day. :D

5 Bear out of 7.

Sunshine Cleaning

I loved the whole film. :grin: Emily Blunt and Amy Adams were great! they really looked like Sisters. I story was wonderful and it was perfectly told. It unfolded naturally and was genuinely charming!

I almost cried at two points during the movie. I got really involved and laughed when they laughed and felt all the emotions throughtout. I thought it was excellent.

7 Bears out of 7.

Enchanted

Amy Adams again (didn't really plan that.) I delightful fairytale with a slight twist. The roles were very well cast and though the story was predictable it was fun to witness the whole affair unfold. I liked the fact it had a mixture of animation and live action and I've had the songs in my head the rest of the day. :D

5 Bear out of 7.

That Sunshine Clearing does look interesting. If you're on an AA kick check out Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day. A charming enough film. I think you'd enjoy it :)

Gran Torino

Imagine the scene. Fight breaks out between Hmong family and the familys cousins gang in the middle of the night. Fight spills over onto Mr Eastwoods garden. Enter Mr Eastwood holding his old military issue rifle, ready to deliver the coolest line ever:

Smokie: "Are you fucking crazy? Go back in the house."

Walt Kowalski: "Yeah? I blow a hole in your face and then I go in the house... and I sleep like a baby. You can count on that. We used to stack fucks like you five feet high in Korea... use you for sandbags."

Clint Eastwood somehow manages to make a massively racist person somewhat lovable. Possibly due to the fact that hes "old person who doesn't know better" racist instead of "KKK" racist.

There are scenes where he pretty much plays Dirty Harry (I imagine, never see it), but old and scenes where he actually seems like a nice chap.

The Hmong girls reactions to Clints casual racist comments are pretty good too. She just seems to laugh them off and stays cheerful, as she knows he's just old fashioned instead of proper racist, which I think makes good scenes between the two of them:

Sue Lor: "There's a ton of food."

Walt Kowalski: "Yeah, well just keep your hands off my dog."

Sue Lor: "No worries, we only eat cats."

Some of the Hmong characters acting is a bit ropey, but none of them were professional actors, so it's understandable. I would rather have ropey acting that actors I recognise from elsewhere, in a film like this at least. I think if there are recognisable actors in a film, it can ruin the illusion sometimes.

9.5/10

Edited by Goafer

Bourne Identity 9/10 - Watched it a few times before but never paid attention so did myself a favour and broke into the box set that has been sitting on my shelf for months. Not a single dull moment, was glued from start to finish. Brilliant action scenes and imo, had really impressive dialogue (after watching transformers, stupid lines really do stick out for me).

Blood: the last vampire shit/10 - Wasted so much money seeing this film today. KNEW i should have trusted my instincts. I mean, it's a live action based off an anime film that was shit in the first place (the series is decent) so it's no wonder it was going to be a complete mess. Graphics were laughable. The blood reminded me of ribena, I dont know why, and there was loads of it. Creatures looked like they were made out of shit. Wire works were just so god damn obvious and ungraceful. Sharp eyes can even spot a few mistakes.

Story, OMG the story is just...even worse than the anime really with a resolution that feels like it was pulled out of the director's arse just to give the film a reason for being, which is really rendered pointless by the end. And the girl 'sidekick' - some of the stuff she says is just so out of place. Why are you going to tell someone who just killed something like 100 vampires to 'take care of themselves'?! She also did that while keeping you alive! Ugh I could go on, I really could. Gonna get so grilled at work tomorrow about this...

Transformers 2:

Pretty good film overall, with a lot of sexy action sequences (especially the forest bit). In places however, it was massively cliched and some of the "funny bits" ruined it. I'd recommend a watch.

The guy got tasered in the neck, then a minute or two later he's up, walking with no sign of being tasered.

7.5/10