Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

This is certainly not just a kids film, the plot nearly confuses me today. But the "special effects" are fucking genius. All hand-drawn animation and shit moving around in 1988. Bob Hoskins. Jessica Rabbit with a banging rack. This film practically has everything. I can't help but be fucking impressed by what this film does, I wish I knew who Judge Doom really was.

Nine Shabba's

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

Eyes Wide Shut

Wowza. I personally loved it ; I know opinion is somewhat divided. Watching so late at night probably amped up the suspensey bits, but it was effective and and interesting and disturbing commentary on sexual desires/denials. or as the dvd calls it "a bracing psychosexual journey".

There's a hugely effective build-up of sexual tension the whole way through, which, humourously, is in both the viewer and the characters. I was actually itching (not literally) for some sort of closure, but the ending hilariously suns it all up.

9/10

Luurved it.

The Wrestler

Stars Mickey Rourke. An epic movie about a washed up 80's Wrestler. What more to say, its one of them movies you have to see to be fair.

9/10

Yeah it's definately a great film. Did you find the ending a bit sudden?

I'm not why everyone is/was so shocked by the ending. It was perfect.

In The Wrestler? I agree it was a very good ending and I can't think of a single way it could have been done better (much like the rest of the film), but it was a bit sudden. Normally you can get a feeling for when a film is about to end, but in this it just kind of snuck up on me. Not that it's a bad thing, I just found myself thinking "oh, is that the end?".

Terminator: Salvation

The goods: Good visuals and action scenes

That bad: Everything else that you can possibly imagine.

Cheesy dialogue, plot holes wide enough to drive trucks trough and the the plot as a whole just feels stupid and unnecessary and just exists to steer us into the next action scene.

You always were a heathen Wes :P

10/10...like tears in rain.

I thought it was really good! Just... hyped, and not the greatest sci-fi movie ever. From now on I'm rating movies with a short sentence out of 10 and then a sentence saying "Good/Bad though." I'm so web 2.0 I'm beyond numbers.

Push

Not as bad as the trailer made it out to be. It seems to be quite Heroes inspired. The powers were pretty cool, the storyline was extremely clichee though but well paced, so it was actually nice to watch.

Somehow it seems that it's more or less a build-up to a second movie and also that Hong Kong as a location was chosen deliberately to cut back on costs.

5.5/10

I had no plans to go to the cinema today but friends phoned up late and asked if I wanted to see the 9:00 showing of Terminator Salvation. Despite bad reviews I thought 'hec, why not?' and watched it and yeah it was pretty bad. Cheesey dialogue, clichéd plot and all of the action pieces a montage of ideas from other films show that the producers had no originality.

However it was weird because when I was in the car on the way back I remembered the original Terminator was on BBC1 from 11:30 and by the time I got back and was ready I flicked it on and it had literally just started. Anyway, I watched the film and it was brilliant, I've never actually seen it (have viewed a couple of clips from one of them but very little) but I was astonished how good it was. The story made Salvation make sense and whilst Salvation would have still been bad had I of seen this first, it did make The Terminator much more interesting and 'aaaah' filled. Arnold was awesome as well, as were the other actors.

It's kind of weird how a very old film could be 10 times better than the new sequel. I don't know in what sense I mean this but it's kind of emotional.

Terminator Salvation: 5/10

The Terminator: 9/10

I guess the scores don't reflect my earlier comment but hey, exaggeration is good.

Okay, I just lost a gigantic post about Salvation. Fucking IE...

So Mundi, what are the plot holes? Because there weren't any... were you paying attention? Well, there was one (why would the machines just leave Marcus to rot for 20 years if he was that important and they knew were he was), but that one rendered the character important, so I guess it's forgivable. Other than that, the plot is very well thought out. But please, do enlighten me. Anyone, for that matter.

Why did the machines not kill Kyle Reese the second they caught him preventing him from going back and saving/fathering young John Connor? They already knew his significance, or they wouldn't have used him as bait/had him at the top of the kill list.

Why did the machines not kill Kyle Reese the second they caught him preventing him from going back and saving/fathering young John Connor? They already knew his significance, or they wouldn't have used him as bait/had him at the top of the kill list.

I haven't seen salvation yet. But I'm fairly sure that the machines don't know that Kyle is his dad. Only that he's John's right-hand man.

Oh, and I have one question: Is Derek in the film?

Thing is it seemed to me that Salvation could almost have been a direct sequel to The Terminator, so what happens in 2 & 3?

There was a lot of unbelievable elements in the film (like th ball and change somehow clinging onto the bike thing and then swinging onto the ship) but it happens in all films in some form, usually more subtle. I can't remember the good line from the original terminator that was also in Salvation...

I think it was a bit dumb of them to give Marcus Wright an unneccessary explanation of how good Skynet was and how it deceived him or whatever - it wasn't exactly hard for him to get down to where Connor was.

It's not really clear. In the first film Reese says that after he went through time Connor was planning to destroy the time machine en route to destroying Skynet itself. It was supposed to be a last ditch attack by Skynet at the one point they could pin down Sarah as living in LA.

Course, the second film changes that, though it's not clear how. It also introduces the idea of a changing future where variants of the skynet idea come back again and make a new Judgment Day.

in the tv series there's several Terminators- each with particular missions in different times and places. So it's possible that given enough time, skynet can send as many as it wants.