Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

the 40 year old virgin

heheheh... it was brain candy... like knocked up, it had some funny bits~ and the story was nice.. but i could really tell when the actors were ad-libbing in this one... it was more natural in knocked up... hmmm...

i couldnt decide if "age of Aquarius" at the end was the funniest thing i'd seen all week, or if it REAAALLY freaked me out. :wtf:

7/10

Orlando Bloom is a horrible actor. Was only good as Legolas in LOTR's cos he had close to zero dialogue and he looked good firing arrows.

He is the perfect example of how hollywood has no problem with wooden actors if they look good. A ghost has more screen presence then Orlando Bloom

Pretty much what he said.

South Park Movie: Bigger, Longer and Uncut!

It was the first time i had seen this, It was quite good. I didn't laugh that much though but the story was fairly entertaining. :)

3 and a half Bears out of 7 :D

So I take it you don't like South Park, Bears?

American Psycho

It spoofs the 80's fashions, but will remain utterly relevant until capitalism itself finally comes crashing down. Fuck Batman, this is what Christian Bale really looks like in action.

10/10

I agree with the Batman part, this is the role Bale was born to play. But he's great as Batman, too.

That 10/10 seems a bit much, though. It's a good movie, though. :heh:

Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb:

The god film of political satire and imo the best film Kubrick made...

10/10

In The Hands Of The Gods:

I reccomend anybody who has even a casual interest in football to check this film out, as it is a really good documentary/film that focuses on the real-life dreams the sport brings out. About a group of british lads who are all freestyle footballers (do fancy tricks) who go on an around the world to raise enough money through their trickey, to fund a trip to argeintina to meet Diego Maradona (their hero) followed by cameras 24/7. Suprisingly quite emotional and has an ending that is pretty shocking considering the sort of film it is. Good "been on a journey" type of flick, I enjoyed it.

8/10

So I take it you don't like South Park, Bears?

No I like South Park! :D The actual Show makes me laugh, I think it's great! :grin:

It's just i didn't find the movie as funny as the TV show! But it was still entertaining and i enjoyed it. I didn't laugh as much as i thought i may have done.

Though i really shoud start watching movies earlier than 12 in the morning! :smile:

Stargate SG-1: The Ark of Truth

Freaking awesome, great closure for the SG-1 quests. It really is just the conclusion to SG-1 (despite the fact that they're making another movie), not plot twists or sudden revelations, but it felt just like the show, only longer.:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Orlando Bloom is a horrible actor. Was only good as Legolas in LOTR's cos he had close to zero dialogue and he looked good firing arrows.

He is the perfect example of how hollywood has no problem with wooden actors if they look good. A ghost has more screen presence then Orlando Bloom

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Ever seen Elizabethtown? Another horrible Orlando Bloom movie, I stopped watching after 30 minutes because it was so stupid. Just that the guy lost 1 Billion after a failed shoe design made me want to turn the TV off

Funny Ha Ha

Lumped in as part of the dreadfully named mumblecore movement, "Funny Ha Ha" is a look at the post-college (or university to most of us) directionless life of Marnie. Incredibly funny and quite poigniant to any self-respecting slacker. Works a lot like a more focused 21st century version of Richard Linklater's "Slacker" and it certainly takes an influence from it. Highly recommended.

7/10

Guest Stefkov
Rambo: First Blood

Thought it would be nice to see all three previous titles before seeing the new one on Saturday. Starts out a little slow, but picks up and shows us Rambo's skills as a war, killing machine. This gets 9/10

I am really trying to stop myself from buying the first 3 right now. The advert for the 4th looks inceredible and I want to see the first 3. £10 for 3 movies..it's torture.

I am really trying to stop myself from buying the first 3 right now. The advert for the 4th looks inceredible and I want to see the first 3. £10 for 3 movies..it's torture.

Thanks to the Bush administration, the third one is easily the best movie ever.

It's fucking awesome that movie.

"Hind- D gunship? no worries man, I gots a hastily assembled, grenade packin Long Bow and no means of taking cover. Fuckin A."

Just watched Dr. Strangelove Or: How I learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

Quite possibly the best sick joke of all time, the grandaddy of satire and one of Kubrick's best. Utter genius.

Watched a few films yesterday... will be watching a few more today...

Twelve Monkeys

Okay. Now I admit, I don't think I fully understood the film the last time I saw it -- but then, that was around a decade ago, so I have my excuses.

I don't think the day is saved at the end of the film. I don't think I can bother writing much.

8/10

Monster's Ball

Someone tell me why Halle Berry got an oscar? I mean, besides the sex scene, of course. I thought much of the acting in this film was poor, and the story itself too contrived and too similar to 21 Grams to be new.

But the sex scene...

7/10

Barton Fink

Another quality film from teh Coens. There are some niggles with it, mind; I didn't and don't really see the appeal of John Turturro's acting... I kept visualising the movie as if it was shot in some soap-opera tv studio, and kept seeing him as an actor and not as Barton Fink.

But I liked the whole misrepresentation, man-behind-the-star sort of feel to this. There were some seriously creepy angles that were so very lightly suggested that my mind kept running away with -- I loved the shot of all the shoes being left outside the room, waiting to be shined. I kept getting the impression that Goodman's character 'Charlie Meadows' was actually trying to sell Fink insurance by befriending him then guilting him.. Of course that's an entire fabrication but the Coens seem able to let the audience fantasize about things like this.

8/10 Almost but not quite.

Barton Fink

Another quality film from teh Coens. There are some niggles with it, mind; I didn't and don't really see the appeal of John Turturro's acting... I kept visualising the movie as if it was shot in some soap-opera tv studio, and kept seeing him as an actor and not as Barton Fink.

But I liked the whole misrepresentation, man-behind-the-star sort of feel to this. There were some seriously creepy angles that were so very lightly suggested that my mind kept running away with -- I loved the shot of all the shoes being left outside the room, waiting to be shined. I kept getting the impression that Goodman's character 'Charlie Meadows' was actually trying to sell Fink insurance by befriending him then guilting him.. Of course that's an entire fabrication but the Coens seem able to let the audience fantasize about things like this.

8/10 Almost but not quite.

I think that's the only film by the Coen brothers I've seen so far (as far as I know really). Had to watch it for my previous school and write a paper on how the sound was used in it I think. Or something.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and thought it had a really great atmosphere. Not too big a fan of the main character either, but that didn't ruin it for me. And the sound of the doors closing, making it sound like the air is being sucked out of the room, is still one of the things that just stays stuck in my mind.

I've been to the cinema twice recently, so I may as well go for those two:

Cloverfield

It seems to be a love it/hate it thing, but I have to say I loved it. I was actually so scared at some points my knees raised, and my friend said I apparently looked like I was in the foetal position. I loved the point of view idea, although it made us all feel a little sick at times, and the commentary was brilliant in places - referring to a giant, city-destroying monster as "it's a terrible, terrible thing" and then to small monster as "other things, also terrible" is genius imo. So yeah, highly, highly recommended.

9/10

National Treasure: Book Of Secrets

Having enjoyed the first one a fair amount, and really liking the look of the trailers I suggested this one to see. It was pretty good... sort of a middle ground between the somewhat dire Da Vinci Code and the freaking awesome Indiana Jones. Flying from country to country was nice, and although the acting wasn't amazing (it's aimed at kids, to be fair) there was plenty of stuff going on... That said I think that there was possibly one clue too many on the trail, and at some points I found myself wanting them to hurry up and get to the clue - at almost 2 hours long it's not a short film. It's pretty good, but nothing amazing.

7.5/10