N-Europe

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (26th September 2024)

Julius

2 hours ago, Jonnas said:

I'm just happy to see that this isn't the LttP map again. The game's looking quite good!

Is this the first time we see Sea Zora and River Zora in the same game? And why are they called Sea Zora when they clearly live in rivers in most games?

Yes it is.  This is a Goomba/Galoomba situation where they're retconning their sudden dramatic species redesign and providing an in-universe explanation as to why they look nothing alike.

37 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Having watched the latest trailer, I'm still not sold on the game. It's yet another Zelda title where I'm not really that excited about its release. :( 

Yeh.. that's where I'm at, unfortunately 😕

Tears of the Kingdom left such a sour taste that any and all similarities I'm seeing with Echoes of Wisdom are hard to overlook.

I've never been particularly into the top-down Zelda games as it is, bar enjoying Phantom Hourglass and A Link Between Worlds, but I could have been interested in this had the gameplay not looked so tedious to me.

It's visually pleasing and Zelda as the protagonist is cool but I just don't think I want to play it.

The whole thing with echoes and binds just isn't what I'm looking for and I'm already sick of seeing how overused the bed echo has been for traversal in the footage so far!

• Like 1

I think this is the missing link I needed before BotW.

On 8/5/2024 at 2:31 PM, Dcubed said:

Guess I’ll have to wait until Switch 2 comes out before I can enjoy it properly…

Or improperly since the Switch is the original hardware for it.

On 8/5/2024 at 2:33 PM, Dcubed said:

I’m guessing that it’ll be just for the intro… but playable Link will be a post-game unlockable feature.  They wouldn’t build an entire moveset just for such a small sequence, so that seems like the kind of thing they’d do.  Avoids the whole “Mottainai” problem without undermining the main selling point of playable Zelda

Unless they've made this from scratch, the Link moveset could be lifted from Link's Awakening and the BotW NES-style prototype. It's still anyone's guess as to what extent he will be playable in this.

19 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

You make it sound as if it hasn't been done - It was a sound theory at the time with the knowledge we had! Suck ma balls buddy.

The addition of the horse gives the impression the world will be bigger than anticipated, but that disappearing into the void thing at the end gives the impression of either a mirror world... or worse, The Depths.

Yeah and it's not like they've redone the map since the reveal so the similarities remain.

Funny when he says "getting around Hyrule can prove challenging" as Zelda jumps down off a clifftop. Enter the steed! That can... only clear small obstacles.

4 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Is this the first time we see Sea Zora and River Zora in the same game? And why are they called Sea Zora when they clearly live in rivers in most games?

At the very least, Zora characters and Zora enemies were in the Oracle games, iirc.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Having watched the latest trailer, I'm still not sold on the game. It's yet another Zelda title where I'm not really that excited about its release. :( 

Yeah, I'm leaning towards getting something else next month. This'll be evergreen anyway. They can wait for my sale. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

At the very least, Zora characters and Zora enemies were in the Oracle games, iirc.

Oh good, I don't have to be the nerdy guy who has to correct @Dcubed Specifically, Oracle of Ages. Seasons doesn't have the N64 style Zoras in it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Julius said:

Having not played many a Zelda game I don't know if there's an in-universe story reason for this (if there is someone please enlighten me, I'd very curious), but I take it as basically just being a descriptor for their respective appearances? 

Sea Zora = look like sharks, dolphins, etc., from the sea

River Zora = look like ugly river fish that grew legs (and would give you recurring nightmares if encountered out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night)

Dolphins are also river creatures :heh:

Honestly, I figure that they only called them "Sea" Zoras because there are, in fact, a few games where they live in the sea (Majora's Mask & Oracle of Ages, off the top of my head). The more monstrous Zora have only ever been featured in rivers.

Would've been much simpler to just say "Lean Zora" and "Green Zora" :p

45 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Ah, good catch. I remembered the Zora village in Oracle of Ages (one of the few times where they indeed live in the sea), but I didn't recall the river Zora being an enemy in that game. I just checked, and yeah, they're obviously there.

I also just found out that OoA was the first game to coin the term "River Zora". The quote in question:

"Don't think us noble sea Zoras the same as those savage, vulgar river Zoras!"

It seems they've had this conflict in their pocket since 2001. Deeper cut than I thought.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Funny when he says "getting around Hyrule can prove challenging" as Zelda jumps down off a clifftop. Enter the steed! That can... only clear small obstacles.

Which apparently aren't normally an issue of you stack enough beds!

17 hours ago, nekunando said:

I'm already sick of seeing how overused the bed echo has been for traversal in the footage so far!

It is weird how frequently they're showing that. Gives the sense there's not much variety. 

7 hours ago, Ashley said:

It is weird how frequently they're showing that. Gives the sense there's not much variety. 

I would love it if it was someone’s idea of a joke to keep showing it. Like I’m sure it keeps getting mentioned at how everyone will just do that so they are just having fun. 

I still love the style of this and will pick it up. 

19 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

I would love it if it was someone’s idea of a joke to keep showing it. Like I’m sure it keeps getting mentioned at how everyone will just do that so they are just having fun. 

Yeah, this is exactly how I read it: the beds turning up are absolutely just some fun trailer humour. 

Would love if the bed were on the cover and used on a keyring for the game to take it a step further :laughing:

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2024 at 4:23 PM, Jonnas said:

Dolphins are also river creatures :heh:

Honestly, I figure that they only called them "Sea" Zoras because there are, in fact, a few games where they live in the sea (Majora's Mask & Oracle of Ages, off the top of my head). The more monstrous Zora have only ever been featured in rivers.

Would've been much simpler to just say "Lean Zora" and "Green Zora" :p

Ah, good catch. I remembered the Zora village in Oracle of Ages (one of the few times where they indeed live in the sea), but I didn't recall the river Zora being an enemy in that game. I just checked, and yeah, they're obviously there.

I also just found out that OoA was the first game to coin the term "River Zora". The quote in question:

"Don't think us noble sea Zoras the same as those savage, vulgar river Zoras!"

It seems they've had this conflict in their pocket since 2001. Deeper cut than I thought.

Maybe that fence in front of Lord Jabu Jabu in Ocarina of Time lead to the ocean, and they were just slumming it next to Lake Hylia for flava

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Oh, Swordfighter form, that's great.

Aaaaaaaand it's time limited...

Always with the limitations :nono:

It would completely undermine the main mechanic, don't you think? Why play as Zelda, if she'll just be an expy of Link? Might as well just play as Link, in that case.

Anyway, that trailer has finally allayed a lot of my concerns about dungeon design, still not convinced on the overworld, but it's progress.

Spoiler

So that's why Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl didn't have the Distortion World, Zelda nicked it!

Edited by Glen-i

Zelda's dad really does punt her in the intro. 

And watching that triggered my degree brain; with this and the Peach game Nintendo has now twice given their princess characters violent mechanics when they're explicitly not themselves. They are trapped in this weird bind where they see a need to modernise a bit, but don't want to completely change the character so they've basically gone "urr it's basically all a dream".