N-Europe

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (26th September 2024)

Julius

WHAT?! Guess we now know what Grezzo have been up to! 

It's up to Princess Zelda to save Hyrule in a brand-new The Legend of Zelda story.

Looks delightful :D and that art!

Zelda does what Link don't! :p

Edited by Julius

I know I'm beating a dead Epona here, but holy shit! I never thought I'd ever be able to look forward to a Zelda game ever again.

It's been more than 11 years since the last one!

Handcrafted level and dungeon design isn't dead after all! :D

I am so happy that Zelda finally gets to be the protagonist! :cry:

22 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Handcrafted level and dungeon design isn't dead after all! :D

Considering the freeform, almost Minecraftian nature of the Echo Wand... are you sure about that? :kiss:Just messing with you, I think they're following the LBW formula, really.

1 minute ago, Jonnas said:

I am so happy that Zelda finally gets to be the protagonist! :cry:

Considering the freeform, almost Minecraftian nature of the Echo Wand... are you sure about that? :kiss:Just messing with you, I think they're following the LBW formula, really.

Yeah, defo.  This is basically the Link's Awakening equivilent of ALBW.  Just that it's reusing that game's engine rather than its map.

It's clearly taking some inspiration from BOTW/Minecraft's crafting mechanic and the Gloom from TOTK, but also taking inspiration from Animal Crossing New Horizons with the crafted furniture use.  It's also kind of based on the Cane of Somaria from ALTTP as well.

Either way, it's a new spin on a classic formula, with great looking level design and loads of gameplay innovation wrapped in good classic game design... You know, like what Zelda used to be? :D

This looks and sounds great, I'm worried the combat won't be a bit slow to begin with if you're creating and throwing rocks, then maybe summoning enemies to fight for you... I'm hoping Zelda can whip some shit herself so I don't have to go through too many menus

I'm not the biggest fan of the top down Zelda games but was excited to see a new entry in a similar style to Link's Awakening.

A Link Between Worlds was a much more enjoyable experience for me overall in comparison to A Link to the Past so I was hoping for the same to be true after coming from the often irritating experience of Link's Awakening.

It was all going so well.. and then they revealed the gameplay.

Enthusiasm killed immediately 😕

I'm having such a good time again with Skyward Sword at the moment but seeing some Tears of the Kingdom elements worming their way into the design of this new entry isn't welcome in my eyes!

All of this business with the echoes and faffing around with what is clearly going to be selecting from a long list of these for puzzles, combat and whatever else.. no thanks 😖

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, nekunando said:

All of this business with the echoes and faffing around with what is clearly going to be selecting from a long list of these for puzzles, combat and whatever else.. no thanks 😖

They did show a mix of seemingly instant and menu-based retrievals so maybe there is some way to hot key ones, or easily repeat the last. 

Intriguing anyway.

Although I agree with a comment I saw somewhere on the internet yesterday; they should have called it The Legend of Link 

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Although I agree with a comment I saw somewhere on the internet yesterday; they should have called it The Legend of Link 

Me in the Direct thread just after it was announced:

17 hours ago, Julius said:

why isn't this one called The Legend of Link smh give my boy some love

there's no way Ashley spends time anywhere else on the internet, right guys? 

Obligatory You Will Know Our Names :p

11 hours ago, nekunando said:

All of this business with the echoes and faffing around with what is clearly going to be selecting from a long list of these for puzzles, combat and whatever else

Had the same thought when I saw this:

image.png

Reminds me of TotK and how it annoyed the hell out of me :p

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Had the same thought when I saw this:

image.png

Reminds me of TotK and how it annoyed the hell out of me :p

As someone who enjoyed TotK but found the menus to be even more stuffed than they were in BotW...

...yeah, I totally agree.

The approach they're taking is an interesting one but it absolutely looks more in line with some of the ideas from TotK's Ultrahand and the general BotW/TotK approach of doing things your own way vs a hard set of solutions to puzzles as I think you'd expect in a 2D Zelda. 

This game feels to me like Nintendo are going "trust me, WE HEARD YOU! kindofmaybe HERE'S THE 2D ZELDA LIKE YOU ASKED FOR intheartstyleofLAremakewhichsomepeoplewerespliton AND HERE'S PLAYABLE ZELDA LIKE YOU'VE BEEN ASKING FOR butwithanon-traditional2Dapproach ANYWAYS GIVE US YOUR MONEY NOW K THANKS BYEEEEEEEE". 

I'll be shocked if this game doesn't split opinion when it releases. Personally, I like the idea they've got going on - and I think if you're not going to give Zelda a sword it's either this or a pure magic-casting system, and this seems way more in line with the idea of open experimentation popularised with BotW and TotK, in fact it really reminded me of that 2D Zelda demo we got for BotW back in the day at GDC - but I think the look of it, like you guys have been saying, is going to remind those who weren't fans of BotW/TotK a little too much of those games, whether it's the approach to puzzle design or even just the UI. Which means the game might not start off on the right for some people already. 

Happy to be proven wrong, though. I think there's a lot of cool stuff they can do with this Echo system, but I guess we'll need to wait and see! 

2 hours ago, Julius said:

Me in the Direct thread just after it was announced:

there's no way Ashley spends time anywhere else on the internet, right guys? 

Obligatory You Will Know Our Names :p

I did catch up elsewhere as I was having to check on a train so signal was terrible. I did see your post after I posted this though

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

The ESRB rating for the game has just confirmed that Link will be a playable character. 

This could just pertain to what I imagine is the intro that we saw in the trailer, though I could also see Link being unlocked for some potential end- or post-game content? 

• Thanks 1

I'm gonna assume that's just in the intro, probably for fighting Ganon at the start. Kinda undermines the whole "Play as Zelda" selling point if you just let people play as Link at some point.

EDIT: Yeah, look back at that reveal. That fight against Ganon is clearly gameplay.

Edited by Glen-i

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Traversing Hyrule trailer, which gives more of an overview – lovely to see so many of the classic Zelda races in this style! 

Learn about some of the regions you'll visit in Hyrule during your adventure – as well as a few other things that are sure to come in handy! The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom launches exclusively on Nintendo Switch September 26th.

Clothing options too :bowdown:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Look! Actual level design! Holy shit!

So much for those still claiming it to be an open world game or (even dumber) saying that it reuses the map from ALTTP.  Shock of all shocks, it looks like a real proper classic Zelda game.  The kind that we haven’t seen since 2013 :D

Bind looks like a very fun mechanic too.  I’m sure we’ll see lots of cool puzzles making use of it… you know, like the kind of handcrafted game design we used to see from Zelda a million years ago.

Shame about the framerate though… Looks like it runs substantially worse than Link’s Awakening Switch (swear half that trailer was running at 30FPS), seemingly using the same double buffer V-Sync as LA Switch, but just not hitting the target as consistently.  Guess I’ll have to wait until Switch 2 comes out before I can enjoy it properly…

On 7/14/2024 at 3:51 PM, Glen-i said:

I'm gonna assume that's just in the intro, probably for fighting Ganon at the start. Kinda undermines the whole "Play as Zelda" selling point if you just let people play as Link at some point.

EDIT: Yeah, look back at that reveal. That fight against Ganon is clearly gameplay.

I’m guessing that it’ll be just for the intro… but playable Link will be a post-game unlockable feature.  They wouldn’t build an entire moveset just for such a small sequence, so that seems like the kind of thing they’d do.  Avoids the whole “Mottainai” problem without undermining the main selling point of playable Zelda

Edited by Dcubed

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

or (even dumber) saying that it reuses the map from ALTTP.  

You make it sound as if it hasn't been done - It was a sound theory at the time with the knowledge we had! Suck ma balls buddy.

The addition of the horse gives the impression the world will be bigger than anticipated, but that disappearing into the void thing at the end gives the impression of either a mirror world... or worse, The Depths.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY
  • Like 1

I'm just happy to see that this isn't the LttP map again. The game's looking quite good!

Is this the first time we see Sea Zora and River Zora in the same game? And why are they called Sea Zora when they clearly live in rivers in most games?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

And why are they called Sea Zora when they clearly live in rivers in most games?

Having not played many a Zelda game I don't know if there's an in-universe story reason for this (if there is someone please enlighten me, I'd very curious), but I take it as basically just being a descriptor for their respective appearances? 

Sea Zora = look like sharks, dolphins, etc., from the sea

River Zora = look like ugly river fish that grew legs (and would give you recurring nightmares if encountered out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night)

Edited by Julius