N-Europe

Hollow Knight: Silksong

Ronnie

6 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

Maybe it's a shadow drop during the Nintendo Direct? That's not directly tied in to E3, is it? Don't deny me this!!!

Ah, the Smash Bros Character Denial route? I dig it!

...I just got the strangest sense of déjà vu.

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Julius said:

Rated in South Korea:

XTU7JuN.png

This news comes days after wishlist pages turned up on Xbox and PlayStation digital storefronts on April 1st. 

Soon™? 

No, I refuse to believe it. This game is a myth, an Internet legend, and is never coming out. It is but a figment of our imagination. Cherry Team probably doesn't even exist anymore. Maybe it never existed?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

There will be nothing on Silksong at Gamescom's Opening Night Live, per Keighley himself:

Smart that he got out ahead of it, though I don't think anyone's too surprised – ONL hasn't exactly been a hotbed of megatons in the past. 

With it not turning up at any of the events over the summer period...I'm curious to see where it lands now – if we do see it even turn up in the remainder of 2024, that is. 

It won't be Tokyo Game Show next month; it's very unlikely (but not really impossible, consider it's turned up at both Nintendo and Xbox events before) that it'll turn up at a potential PlayStation Showcase next month; unless Xbox changes plans, they simply don't have another big show on the scale of Not-E3 that will pull in the numbers a game like Silksong is screaming out for. 

...which leaves only two options for it to turn up for me, realistically, if we're going to see it this year at an event and not just have an update thrown out in a blog or Twitter post. And neither really leaves space in my mind for a 2024 release, sorry guys. 

Firstly, to cover the event we actually know is coming and already have a date and time for: The Game Awards in December. It's the only regular show in the gaming events calendar on par with the biggest shows like Nintendo Directs and PlayStation Showcases – and yes, it's way, way bigger than anything else out there these days, and as an individual event in terms of views it surpasses everything else in the regular events calendar. If it turned up at the TGAs I struggle to see a shadow-drop simply because this is a game which could be gunning for TGAs GOTY and other awards, or at least being in the mix, and I don't see why they'd scupper their chances at that – I can't remember the last time a game came out between mid-November (cut-off for nominees for the year at the TGAs) and the end of December which managed to then retain enough of the conversation to be nominated the following year. I could see maybe a demo shadow-drop and 2025 release date if it turns up here? That is, unless Team Cherry simply decide they don't give a damn about awards (which, I mean, I'd personally respect) and went against the grain to deliver a shadow-drop which would be truly unexpected. 

The other place is the Switch 2 reveal, assuming we get it before the end of the year. The first game shadow-dropped on the Switch during an E3 Direct (sure it was already on PC, but that's not the point), by all means it seems like they have a good relationship, and the Switch has really made good use of the indie scene and some smart deals to help fill out it's calendar – do we have any reason to believe the Switch 2 would be any different? It's also the only thing that isn't part of the typical gaming events calendar which would CRUSH the numbers of dedicated Directs, PlayStation Showcases, and as far as individual events, probably the only thing which challenges the TGAs in terms of viewer numbers (and obviously would probably surpass it, too). Again, though, I don't think this really feels like a place for a shadow-drop - "hey, we're coming to Switch 2, but buy it on Switch right now anyways!" - but again, a demo shadow-drop could work to whet appetites ahead of it coming to Switch 2. Would also be one heck of a launch game alongside whatever Nintendo has cooking. 

I mean, who knows, maybe it is a blog post...but this game's marketing and release trajectory is getting stranger all the time ::shrug: