NEurope
Ronnie

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

8 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Could be nothing to worry about, but then why not clarify that?

From their quote I think it gives the impression they're still working on it? I'm not too clued up on how people can use cloud saves to gain an advantage in Pokemon or Splatoon and it sounds far fetched but maybe there's a similar thing to do with Animal Crossing. Hopefully it'll be more transparent if/when a Direct happens.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

From their quote I think it gives the impression they're still working on it? I'm not too clued up on how people can use cloud saves to gain an advantage in Pokemon or Splatoon and it sounds far fetched but maybe there's a similar thing to do with Animal Crossing. Hopefully it'll be more transparent if/when a Direct happens.

And that's what has some people worried. Nintendo likes to do stuff differently. Sometimes it works out well for the fans, other times it backfires and negatively impacts on a game's quality. This makes them quite volatile at times, it's what makes them interesting to me. Experimentation is exciting, but it doesn't always work.

• Like 2

On 13/02/2020 at 1:39 PM, Nicktendo said:

Considering I’ve had all four mainline Animal Crossing games and consider it one of my favourite franchises, the fact Nintendo have done more to convince me not to buy this game than have to make me want it day one should say it all. 

The messaging has been a disaster. Sure, I may be in the 5%, the 1% or the 0.1%. I don’t care. They have put me off this game completely. Will it matter to them, no. 

So congratulations, I guess. Like I said, enjoy the game, and I’ll focus on the words I choose to describe something. If you don’t like it, by all means be sarcastic and arrogant. 

I can’t blame you for feeling this way. Our Wii broke down a year or so after we bought Animal crossing let’s go to the city. It wouldn’t have been so bad but my nephews who where 6 and 7 at the time had been playing it for a good year and had done so much stuff by that point and lost it all because you can’t back up save files for that game. I think It’s a stupid and annoying restriction that doesn’t need to be there.

• Sad 1

The weirdos on ResetEra had a total meltdown earlier at 2pm when nothing was announced, it was brilliant to watch.

9 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I'm torn on whether to watch it or not, it's only a month until it comes out.

Same here, I don't really need to see anything as I know I'm getting it. Might just keep one eye on it in the corner of my screen.

Others are more keen to watch though:

Spoiler

ERFxMafXsAAaT9G?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Ronnie
  • Haha 1

content-4-36146-animalcrossingdirect02202020banner.jpg

An Animal Crossing: New Horizons Direct will be shown on February 20th

All up on the main site with the full press release. :D

N-Europe will have a full Roundup article up on the main page, shortly after the presentation has aired. :peace:

I'm looking forward to this one, it's always nice to have a Direct to anticipate and write an article on. :smile:

• Thanks 3

I'll probabably watch it, but I'm hesitating a bit. I fully intend to get the game regardless, but I really want plenty of new stuff. So on one hand I want to see if there's actually any (much more than what I've seen so far, because any of the stuff already announced isn't enough to get me enthousiastic). On the other hand, if there is plenty of new stuff, it would be cool to get surprised while playing the game. Hmmz.

Yeah, I'm gonna skip this direct. I'm already getting the game, so gonna casually ignore news about it until release.

Watch them reveal a Smash character just because I'm not watching...

• Haha 1

Not going to watch it as I don't care for the game. Would rather have had a general Direct - if you are not getting Animal Crossing, there is not really much to look forward to this year. Luckily, I have Witcher 3 to keep myself entertained - and after that The Outer Worlds and whatever should come, so it doesn't bother me that much.

I'll be giving it a watch. I'm still not sure if i'm picking the game up (who am I kidding..i'll buy the game, play for a couple of weeks, say its the same old garbage and then shelve it  :p) so I want to see if there is actually anything new that this entry is going to be bringing to the table.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'll be tuning in and hoping that they've evolved the formula a bit more than simply adding light crafting elements (which to be honest should have been in there from the start) as I've yet to see anything in any of the footage that they've shown that's piqued my interests yet.

I do feel the standard formula is a bit tired now and does need a shake up but I don't see Nintendo changing it much. While they're not totally comparable, I think what was done in something like A Short Hike on PC was something that Animal Crossing should strive for. Give a wider, overarching story to what's happening while keeping the rest of the stuff here. A few more meaningful quests from the other animals too and you'd have something that would definitely draw me in. As it is, going through successive mortgages and houses while decorating them again and collecting the same fossils, fish and insects isn't enough for me.

I'm hopeful there'll be some change and nice additions but currently I'm not intending to pick the game up unless the missus wants it.

• Like 1

I forgot about the whole Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Doom Eternal coming out on the same day... 'thing'. :p

Wouldn't it be great to have a new trailer for Doom Eternal tacked on the end as a 'one more thing' followed by a release date for the Switch version? ;)

Or maybe not... as they'd have to change the age rating of the Direct just for that but still. :peace:

Yeah it's brilliant that those two games in particular are coming out on the same day. Loving the chat from the DOOM account, and some fan replies are great too

• Thanks 1

The fan art that has come from the whole "Doom: New Horizons" thing has been a constant source of entertainment for me during the past few months.

31 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

The fan art that has come from the whole "Doom: New Horizons" thing has been a constant source of entertainment for me during the past few months.

Yeah, there's a thread on Era for it that has been kicking around for a while now. I dared not enter in fear of what I may have seen. :laughing:

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

But we've known about crafting since the game was announced didn't we?

No idea. I haven't really followed the games development. ::shrug:

Yeah, they showed off the crafting abilities in the E3 reveal. 

I obviously gave in and watched the direct, its set any slight fears I had to rest. I was worried that it might be riddled with microtransactions under the surface but the 'Nook miles' are only earned through in game achievements. It looks like you can build the island up into a normal Animal Crossing town eventually, I was concerned we might not get the usual shops and services this time. I think the only negatives for me are the lack of cloud saves and the reliance on the online app for communication - hopefully there are baked in gestures like there were in New Leaf.

15 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

But we've known about crafting since the game was announced didn't we?

Yeah.

I had it on muted in the background at work but what I saw looked really good. It's gonna be nice to be able to customise the Island to my liking. Not sure how much of a city I'll turn it into yet but it was nice to see you could build everything up to that point.

Direct was pretty meh to me but then i'm not a huge fan of the series. It just looked like business as usual. I've not preordered it and i'm still not sure whether I will or not.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Direct was pretty meh to me but then i'm not a huge fan of the series. It just looked like business as usual. I've not preordered it and i'm still not sure whether I will or not.

We don't want you polluting our Animal Crossing positivity anyway :p