NEurope
Helmsly

Super Mario Odyssey

Credits are rolling. That was a good fun, well made game. Won't necessarily stick up there as one of my all time favourites but I enjoyed it.

One thing hope they address in a sequel is:

Spoiler

They need to address the fact that Peach tried to strand Mario on the fucking moon!!!

Edited by Happenstance

While I had my Switch on with Super Mario Odyssey running in the background for most of the afternoon, I maybe put around three hours or so in, this was inbetween sorting out games.

In that time I did manage to get all of the obtainable Power Moons within the Sand Kingdom, most of them I found organically through normal play but when it came to the last few, I suspected that there might be a few that I couldn't get right away so I just looked at a list to confirm this and got the last couple I needed to be able to say "I have all that can be obtained in this particular world, so now I can move onto the next" so with that I've moved onto the Cascade Kingdom. :D

I'm not going to say to much apart from the fact that I am really enjoying playing it, I look forward to playing some more and I'm currently thinking about playing some more even though it will definitely have to wait until this evening. ;)

Tonight I'll make a bit more progress before getting back to reviews tomorrow, I do have a couple of days off after today so technically I could just go all out and finish the entire game but I've noticed my pace for completing games has slowed down in recent years and I'm mostly OK with that, also defintiely huge props to anyone who has completely finished the game already as even though a lot of the collectables seem easy, not all of them are and there's quite a few if you're going for full completion, so that's a definite achievement just as the game itself is. :peace:

Nintendo should definitely br proud of this one and anyone who owns a Switch absolutely needs this game, also anyone who doesn't own a Switch yet will probably be feeling the need to right about now. :)

• Like 2

Finished the story. Great fun :)

Now onto the postgame, and from the get-go...holy...

Something the stupid dogs from Zelda couldn't do (though they both do what matters more).

Initial impressions are that it’s good but not great. Playing with the JoyCon doesn’t feel right, it’s much better with the Pro Controller.

I’ve only been on the first 3 worlds and whereas it’s good, it’s not been anywhere near as fun as the start of the Galaxy games or even 3D World.

I do prefer the level style Galaxy has to the open world design of this.

It’s still good of course, better than any non-Mario platformers out there, but it’s got a long way to go to be on par with the top tier Mario games for me so far.

5 hours ago, Kav said:

Initial impressions are that it’s good but not great. Playing with the JoyCon doesn’t feel right, it’s much better with the Pro Controller.

I’ve only been on the first 3 worlds and whereas it’s good, it’s not been anywhere near as fun as the start of the Galaxy games or even 3D World.

I do prefer the level style Galaxy has to the open world design of this.

It’s still good of course, better than any non-Mario platformers out there, but it’s got a long way to go to be on par with the top tier Mario games for me so far.

Obviously its not to everyones taste.

I personally love it and I think it controls like a dream. Its the Mario I wanted after Galaxy and 3D World.

Galaxy didn't massively impress me. I remember it being quite linear. I prefer 3D Marios to be about a massive playground with lots of things to do. Odyssey has the exploration with the focused gameplay. It reminds me of 64 and Sunshine. Both games I prefered over Galaxy.

I like the fact that in Odyssey, although there is an objective, I usually do half of the moons before reaching it as I explore the kingdoms ans get distracted. It reminds me of BOTW in that way.

Yeah I love it. Top 3 3D Mario for me.

• Like 1

Well, I'm having a blast with the game! Playing with joy-cons or PRO controller is more or less a great experience for me, and Mario controls so incredibly well. 

Been going thoroughly through every world so far, getting as many moons I can get my hands on, while not getting tired of the worlds. Now I'm on my way to the Metro City, and I have heard loads of good stuff about that place. 

But I gotta say, Peach should show a bit of gratitude. I mean, Bowser is truly going the extra mile with all this planning and collecting. I would be quite overwhelmed to be honest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Btw, do you think Mario can break the 100% attach rate like Zelda did? :D

Too many Switch console out in the wild now. It has done over 2 million already, though.

That figure must be an estimate or copies shipped right? Could they get an accurate figure for sales after just three days?

I have to take umbrage with some of the decisions Nintendo have made regarding the control scheme. This morning I was playing it on a flight in handheld mode (as an aside, I'd say the vast majority of my play time with the Switch has been in handheld mode) which pretty much meant I couldn't use any of the motion controls (unless I want to shake the entire console, which not only is unnatural but also makes you look like an idiot). There's really no good reason why the motion shouldn't be completely optional. For a game which is supposed to be a flagship title for the Switch, it does seem odd that you cannot fully play the game when using a certain configuration. Hoping that Nintendo patch the game to remedy this and also allow for custom button layouts (another annoyance is trying to dive jump onto cappy using only button controls).

• Like 1

There's one thing I don't understand about motion controls - do you actually have to use them in order to get some of the moons?  There's an early one in the first world where you seemingly have to turn into a frog and get it, but the standard frog jump isn't high enough.  I do I need to use motion controls for the higher jump, or is there an alternative?

31 minutes ago, Zell said:

I have to take umbrage with some of the decisions Nintendo have made regarding the control scheme. This morning I was playing it on a flight in handheld mode (as an aside, I'd say the vast majority of my play time with the Switch has been in handheld mode) which pretty much meant I couldn't use any of the motion controls (unless I want to shake the entire console, which not only is unnatural but also makes you look like an idiot). There's really no good reason why the motion shouldn't be completely optional. For a game which is supposed to be a flagship title for the Switch, it does seem odd that you cannot fully play the game when using a certain configuration. Hoping that Nintendo patch the game to remedy this and also allow for custom button layouts (another annoyance is trying to dive jump onto cappy using only button controls).

Yeah I agree with that. The requirement for motion is such a small part of the game.

No excuse though. I think Nintendo should patch it asap.

Personally though I don't play the game in handheld mode so it doesnt affect me.

4 minutes ago, Grazza said:

There's one thing I don't understand about motion controls - do you actually have to use them in order to get some of the moons?  There's an early one in the first world where you seemingly have to turn into a frog and get it, but the standard frog jump isn't high enough.  I do I need to use motion controls for the higher jump, or is there an alternative?

Jump, ZL to dispossess the frog and immediately dive. Its fiddly but doable.

The issue is so easily remedied too, they need to patch in for greater control options when not using motion-control.

I think this is part of why I’m not wowed by the game yet.

Edited by Kav
  • Thanks 1

I've just finished grinding 9999 coins and unlocked the final outfit. I took a quick snap of the outfit and thought it was quite fitting given what time of year it is. :D

Spoiler

DNe63OSUIAATtF1.jpg

The game is now 100% complete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Congrats! Still enjoyed till the end? Did it ever become a chore?

It was a joy to play from beginning to end. A part of me wants to start it again. :D 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I've no doubt you'd finish it a second time before I even start it!

Buy it!!!!!

34 minutes ago, Blade said:

Buy it!!!!!

Already did, starting it next week when I've got time off work.

These arrived from Japan today too in anticaption...

NEwcfh.jpg

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 3

The game is great for a commute!

It does make you want to keep playing and I’m very much enjoying it, but it still hasn’t wowed me just yet.

I’m not quite enjoying it as much as I did 3D World up to this point and it’s simply not on the level of the Galaxy games for me.

Edited by Kav