NEurope
killthenet

Euro 2016

Why fucking take Ross Barkley and not play him?!

Roy's going. But, knowing England, he'll be replaced by someone worse...like...John Carver or something.

Good tournament, we got as far as Spain!

::shrug:::shrug:::shrug:

Why fucking take Ross Barkley and not play him?!

Roy's going. But, knowing England, he'll be replaced by someone worse...like...John Carver or something.

Taking Barkley over someone like Townsend was just another ridiculous decision on a long list of head scratchers.

He's resigned, thank fuck for that.

We'll look back on this squad in a few years and wonder how England did so badly. This is a good selection of players, imo. Or, rather, England should have had more than enough to beat this team.

It reminds me of that Muhammad Ali quote: “Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill, and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.”

Mentally, England collapse every single time. Something is seriously wrong there. Where's the resilience? They conceded from a throw-in...

Quitting is the new fighting. Did you not learn this last week?

*Exits stage right*

This is probably the worst defeat in the history of the England National Team. Really embarassing to go out to Iceland.

Wow. Wooowww. That was utterly bizarre. Totally melted. Never seen the Spurs players in that squad play like that. Abysmal. Nice of Roy to give some competition to Cameron as the history's most appalling, abject embarassment of an England boss though eh..

Edit: Ha, I see Ashley's beaten me to the Brexit gag

Annnndd, Roy Hodgson has resigned as England manager.

No way he could stay in the job after that.

I kinda stopped watching after half time and started playing Tropico 5... time better spent than watching this game. Felt England had already lost it, and I was right. :P

You can all just support Belgium now, they have some decent English football league players I've been told.

I think this is as colossal a result as when Germany beat Brazil 7-1 at the World Cup. England never gave Iceland any problems beyond the penalty decision, they looked entirely comfortable throughout the second half. I've never seen a team so out of ideas and lacking in confidence.

Wayne Rooney should retire from international duty, showed absolutely no leadership qualities. I worry that this is going to ruin the England careers of promising players like Alli, Dier and Rashford.

Iceland were fantastic though and stuck to their game plan perfectly, Aaron Gunnarsson was immense.

Edited by killthenet

Good tournament, we got as far as Spain!

::shrug:::shrug:::shrug:

We were in it a whole 3 hours longer!

I like Roy, but his tactics/team selection this tournament has been poor. He abandoned the side that won all our qualifiers to try a new side which just hasn't performed in our friendlies and in all of the games of the tournament.

I'm a little biased due to my club allegiance, but having the side based on Spurs didn't work. The only one of them that did well was Walker.

Kane has been awful this tournament. They've moulded the side around him to no benefit. I'm still convinced Rooney is wasted in midfield, we didn't give Rashford long enough at the end then either. Barkley wasn't used at all, I feel John Stones would've been stronger in defence than Smalling, it was baffling to drop Lallana for this match too. Why not go for what worked in the second half of the Wales match?

In our family/friends sweepstake, there was one spare team at the end. It was Iceland. We gave our cat Iceland. Bet he's feeling pretty smug right now.

Will be interesting to see who becomes England manager now and what they do with the team.

I'm sorry you guys, but Iceland deserverd it and I was cheering for them during the whole match. Not because I dislike England but Iceland played such a wonderful tournament and they stepped it up even more today.

Maybe next time we'll have a manager who picks players in form, and not for the team they play for! But wait this is the FA, who'll again pick a spineless yes man... :(

I want to shave them all bald, take their over-priced sponsored shoes, wrap them round their neck and ring a bell shouting "SHAME!" as they walk from one end of the country to another.

Hart has looked dodgey since the start of the tournament. Dude needs to go back to filming shampoo adverts.

When will the English media realise that Joe Hart is not a world class goalkeeper. He makes a clanger every other game. He was directly at fault for 50% of the goals that England conceded this tournament. Fraser Forster should be playing.

I half watched the game. What I did see was just shocking. How these players can lose to a country that does not have a professional team is beyond me.

I don't understand how these players play well for their respective premier league clubs but can't manage it for England

Backed Iceland to win for a few quid as their odds looked good but never expected it. Got in around 35 mins in and saw it was already 2-1!! Quite shocked. England were terrible in the second half, seemed so sloppy for most of it whereas some of Iceland's attacks looked quite tight to me(tho I'm not a big football man). Some tense moments resting on it for me though, especially in the last ten minutes or so!

Seems I've learnt this week the best way for me to win money is to bet against what I want though. This and the Brexit netted me £20, which covers what I've lost otherwise so far! Shame it isn't worth quite as much as last week ;)

Props to Iceland though, given who they were against I think they played really well. Now that I'm not following England anymore I might try and catch their matches instead! (along with Wales, ofc)

I don't understand how these players play well for their respective premier league clubs but can't manage it for England

It's easy. Put an average English player in a team of world class foreigners and they will get more chances/defend better etc and generally look better than they are. Put that same player in a team of fellow average players and they are exposed for the utter shite they really are.

It's about time England and their fans stopped viewing the players they produce as being world class. The last decent squad they had was at Euro 96 where they were genuinely unlucky to not win it.

Marcus Rashford completed more successful dribbles in his 5 minute cameo than any other player on the pitch, if he was on for 15 we could very well have had a chance of forcing extra time, maybe we should build the team round him instead, he at least had the guts to attack the Iceland defenders.

We've a wealth of talent within our youth ranks. Rashford isn't the best of it by any means, he's just been given a chance at his club, that's the difference.

Our Under 21's won the U21 Euro's a few weeks back... we should bloody start pushing for this talent to be nurtured by the clubs they're at to better our ambitions for the future national team.

We've a wealth of talent within our youth ranks. Rashford isn't the best of it by any means, he's just been given a chance at his club, that's the difference.

Our Under 21's won the U21 Euro's a few weeks back... we should bloody start pushing for this talent to be nurtured by the clubs they're at to better our ambitions for the future national team.

Would you be happy for Gareth Southgate to step up or is he better remaining in his current position?

Would you be happy for Gareth Southgate to step up or is he better remaining in his current position?

A lot of the U21 team aren't even 21 yet, I'd have Southgate there a little longer, really make that team a team that knows, intrinsically, how to play together.

Then promote them when the time is right with Southgate as a part of the senior setup, but not necessarily manager.

We need someone a little more technically astute I think.

A lot of the U21 team aren't even 21 yet

Hence the U.