NEurope
killthenet

Euro 2016

They should at least be given a suspended disqualification as the Russians have. The actions of the Croatia fans were disgusting and I think the disruption has given the Czech players the impetus to go on and score a second.

They set off fireworks, threw them onto the pitch, threw even more and hit someone and then they started beating each other up.

I'm sorry, but for me this can't end in just a suspended disqualification. UEFA needs to finally show that this behaviour is unacceptable.

They set off fireworks, threw them onto the pitch, threw even more and hit someone and then they started beating each other up.

I'm sorry, but for me this can't end in just a suspended disqualification. UEFA needs to finally show that this behaviour is unacceptable.

Yup. For me they need thrown out. The Russian fans set off flares but didn't halt the game. These idiots stopped the game and could have done serious damage to the poor steward.

I'm afraid of what might happen in Saint-Étienne now...it's not impossible that there are more idiots running around completely frustrated trying to blow off steam with violence.

I agree, I think they need to show zero tolerance for it, I was just saying that given they gave Russia a warning that they should at the very least give the same warning to Croatia.

I think after reviewing the footage though they will have no choice but to disqualify them. It would throw the tournament into disarray if they did so, but it's surely the only right decision when their fans have behaved so appallingly.

I agree, I think they need to show zero tolerance for it, I was just saying that given they gave Russia a warning that they should at the very least give the same warning to Croatia.

Yeah, when it happened I thought this as well, but after I had seen everything I decided that this won't be enough.

Yeah, when it happened I thought this as well, but after I had seen everything I decided that this won't be enough.

It's a really difficult decision for Uefa to make though, because if Croatia are disqualified then all points earned against them are rescinded and the third placed finisher in Group D would have very little chance of qualifying for the next stage, so it punishes Czech Republic and their fans almost as much as it does Croatia.

Clearly the right decision morally is to throw them out, but I do wonder if Uefa will be brave enough to make that decision. I thought they might be able to just ban their fans from all future games at the tournament, but because they're be likely to qualify for the next round it would mean playing all their knockout games behind closed doors. This would again be unfair on fans of the teams that Croatia might be facing, and it would cost Uefa revenue, especially if Croatia went far in the tournament.

So whatever Uefa decide, it will be a difficult decision for them to make.

and it would cost Uefa revenue

And that's the only argument UEFA will use to decide...

I missed the game yesterday so only found out about it when I got home. That's fucking disgusting behaviour! I'm getting a bit pissed off with this tournament already and we're only in the second round of games...

This sort of behaviour goes against everything that sport is about. Champions aren't made by throwing flares onto a pitch. Sport is meant to be about uniting people, to make them work together as a collective. Violence in stadiums and around the cities shouldn't be tolerated and I hope the right people are rightfully punished for their actions, no matter which country they're from.

I'm of the opinion that the team shouldn't be punished for the fans' poor behaviour. It's not their fault. Give them the suspended disqualification that Russia got to warn the fans if it happens again, it will be the team that suffers, and make them play their qualifiers for the next tournament behind closed doors. But don't punish the team who have worked hard to be there for the actions of a few idiots.

I was just about to say that Belgium opening the scoring makes the game more interesting, because Ireland really needed to find a goal but then Witsel scored the 2nd, and I think that means the game is probably over as a contest. Ireland look capable of scoring but I can't see them getting 2. Pins all their hopes to get through on beating Italy now.

I was just about to say that Belgium opening the scoring makes the game more interesting, because Ireland really needed to find a goal but then Witsel scored the 2nd, and I think that means the game is probably over as a contest. Ireland look capable of scoring but I can't see them getting 2. Pins all their hopes to get through on beating Italy now.

I think the game has been almost one-sided. Belgium have completely dominated and Ireland have only occasionally made it into the opposition's box.

My prediction says 2-0 and a 2-0/3-0 is about right.

EDIT: There it is. 3-0. Fucking Belgium, ruining my predictions.

I think the game has been almost one-sided. Belgium have completely dominated and Ireland have only occasionally made it into the opposition's box.

My prediction says 2-0 and a 2-0/3-0 is about right.

EDIT: There it is. 3-0. Fucking Belgium, ruining my predictions.

Yeah, Belgium have completely dominated possession but they do look a bit weak at the back so I thought Ireland stood a chance if they could sort the final ball out.

Belgium were far too slow on the ball in the first half but they look devastating on the counter. I think if they grow in confidence through the tournament and start playing more one touch football they could be real challengers.

Need to sort out their defence though.

Yeah, Belgium have completely dominated possession but they do look a bit weak at the back so I thought Ireland stood a chance of they could sort the final ball out.

Belgium were far too slow on the ball in the first half but they look devastating on the counter. I think if they grow in confidence through the tournament and start playing more one touch football they could be real challengers.

Need to sort out their defence though.

I said to @Eenuh that Belgium look more exposed on the wings because they're essentially a defender down because Kompany is injured and they've had to re-jig that defence to accommodate for that. But, I don't think they look too bad defensively, at least not in this game. The right back (Meunier) has looked very good and Vertonghen and Alderweireld are top class players. The only question mark for me is Vermaelen and he's the weak link.

Defensively, I don't think Belgium have been tested at all today. They've looked completely comfortable and I can't remember Courtois having anything to do.

I said to @Eenuh that Belgium look more exposed on the wings because they're essentially a defender down because Kompany is injured and they've had to re-jig that defence to accommodate for that. But, I don't think they look too bad defensively, at least not in this game. The right back (Meunier) has looked very good and Vertonghen and Alderweireld are top class players. The only question mark for me is Vermaelen and he's the weak link.

Defensively, I don't think Belgium have been tested at all today. They've looked completely comfortable and I can't remember Courtois having anything to do.

I think they only looked comfortable though because Ireland were quite sloppy with their delivery. A team like Spain would have created real goal scoring opportunities in that game. It's really odd to me why Wilmots doesn't play Vertonghen and Alderwiereld at centre back, the pundits on TV touched on it too, why would you split up one of the Premier League's best centre back pairings?

I hope they do sort it out and go far though, as Spain and Germany have looked quite dull so far and Belgium definitely have the potential to play really exciting football, so they should light up the knockout stages.

I'm really torn over who I want to win in the Iceland v Hungary game. I'd love for both of them to get through, so an Iceland win might be the best outcome if Portugal can beat Austria.

Wonderful.

Best moment of the Euro so far. Ronaldo missing that penalty. Glorious :laughing:

And then that offside goal.

Letting that guy take a selfie with him will hopefully not save him from more ridicule. :D

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like Ronaldo. Obviously he's a dick for not respecting Iceland after their match, but I think he's a really great player and is a better person than he gets credit for.

Iceland will qualify in 2nd place if they draw against Austria and Hungary beat Portugal, definitely well within the realms of possibility.

I think he's a really great player and is a better person than he gets credit for.

He is one of the best players and outside of the pitch he's a very generous guy, but he is a sore loser and an arrogant prick on the field.

It's just schadenfreude when he missed that penalty. :D

I'm fairly pissed off. It's not often that I feel like Portugal genuinely plays well, but when they do, I'd like to at least see a result that reflects it, even if it's us losing against a better team (like in Euro 2012). But the Austrians were awful.

I know our chances of going to the 16 are still good, but I'm still peeved.

I think they only looked comfortable though because Ireland were quite sloppy with their delivery. A team like Spain would have created real goal scoring opportunities in that game. It's really odd to me why Wilmots doesn't play Vertonghen and Alderwiereld at centre back, the pundits on TV touched on it too, why would you split up one of the Premier League's best centre back pairings?

I hope they do sort it out and go far though, as Spain and Germany have looked quite dull so far and Belgium definitely have the potential to play really exciting football, so they should light up the knockout stages.

I'm really torn over who I want to win in the Iceland v Hungary game. I'd love for both of them to get through, so an Iceland win might be the best outcome if Portugal can beat Austria.

I'm guessing he's split them up because Vermaelen would be exposed on the left and it would create even more chances for the opposition. At least with Vermaelen in the middle, he's got Alderwiereld to help him out. I prefer to see Vertonghen in the centre, too.

I thought yesterday's result for Portugal was actually a defeat for football. They were clearly the better team and the only team that really were trying to win the game. I understand that playing defensive/counter-attacking is a strategy in itself, but for such a short competition that could be over in three games, I would have preferred to see Austria do a lot more.

It actually makes for a dull game to see one team just sitting back and doing nothing. It's happened a fair few times so far in this tournament. Football is ultimately a game and the object of the game is to score goals to win that game. Seeing all 11 players camped inside their own half is lame.

I'm guessing he's split them up because Vermaelen would be exposed on the left and it would create even more chances for the opposition. At least with Vermaelen in the middle, he's got Alderwiereld to help him out. I prefer to see Vertonghen in the centre, too.

I thought yesterday's result for Portugal was actually a defeat for football. They were clearly the better team and the only team that really were trying to win the game. I understand that playing defensive/counter-attacking is a strategy in itself, but for such a short competition that could be over in three games, I would have preferred to see Austria do a lot more.

It actually makes for a dull game to see one team just sitting back and doing nothing. It's happened a fair few times so far in this tournament. Football is ultimately a game and the object of the game is to score goals to win that game. Seeing all 11 players camped inside their own half is lame.

I think that fact that there are only three games means that some teams can try and 'draw' their way into the next round. Lots of teams seem to be set up for defensiveness, which is why we are getting loads of boring first halves, and lots of late goals.

I didn't get to see either game tonight but I was keeping an eye on the scores. It's getting to the stage where I've been looking across each group and checking to see what we need to happen for Northern Ireland to progress even if we lose to Germany :heh:

The fact that Romania didn't win tonight was great for us :grin: A draw would have been preferable in order to rule out both them and Albania but fair play to the latter for their win! Unless Germany destroy us by several goals, we'll remain ahead of them as one of the better third placed teams :hehe:

Hopefully we'll just go and beat the world champions and not have to worry about the rest, though :yay:

Edited by nekunando

Apparently there has not been a goal from open play within the first 30 mins of any game yet this tournament, which is insane.