NEurope
killthenet

Euro 2016

Hands down, that was the best game and team performance of the tournament so far!

No idea where Italy's been for so long, that's definitely the best I've seen them play at a tournament since 2006. Been screaming Bonucci's praises and shouting that he should come to us for a few seasons now, definitely one of the most underrated centre backs in the world.

Another thing to point out, is that Giaccherini was TERRIBLE up until his goal (so that came from nowhere), and I don't recall any of Candreva's crosses being touched by own of his own players before his assist there at the end. Still throughly expect Belgium to go through, but it might just be in second place.

Who would have seen that coming?

Conte said before the tournament that he has a bad pool of players to pick from and the only chance they have of doing anything will be pure team spirit and playing above their level as a group. Playing the Juve defence together worked a treat - just get it right at the back and then see what happens.

Sky Italia were singing Bonucci's praises afterwards.

In their group preview James Richardson and co made a case for Italy going through with five points which looks like a possibility now. (They will still crash out in the last eight...)

Conte said before the tournament that he has a bad pool of players to pick from and the only chance they have of doing anything will be pure team spirit and playing above their level as a group. Playing the Juve defence together worked a treat - just get it right at the back and then see what happens.

Sky Italia were singing Bonucci's praises afterwards.

In their group preview James Richardson and co made a case for Italy going through with five points which looks like a possibility now. (They will still crash out in the last eight...)

Couldn't agree more with pretty much everything you said. Originally, I had them coming second in the group (based on the fact that it's Italy alone and not on previous performances), but I wouldn't be too surprised if they came first judging from last night's performance - though, this would then likely draw them against Spain or Croatia in the Round of 16. I actually had them getting to the semi finals before (coming second, beating Portugal and then England, but losing to Spain), so they have to be careful for what they wish for.

Feel sorry for Conte with the hand he's been dealt for this tournament, but he's definitely making the most out of it. So long as he brings Bonucci over from former club to us next season, I'll be singing his praises for a good time yet...

Edited by Julius Caesar
Automerged Doublepost

Fucks sake, the results have all gone the opposite of how I predicted them.

I can feel myself sliding down the table. :(

Who the fuck are Iceland anyway?!

Hungary beating Austria was such a shock result, loads of pundits were tipping Austria to be a surprise package this tournament. Iceland played great against Portugal, I can definitely see them getting something against Austria if Austria play like they did today again.

There have been very few goals so far, but I think it will pick up in the next few games because some teams really need to go for the win now.

Does anybody else think 24 teams for the tournament was a mistake?

Don't get me wrong, I like results such as Iceland 1 - 1 Portugal. But its such an awkward number. This whole '3rd place might be enough' is a bit unnerving.

Does anybody else think 24 teams for the tournament was a mistake?

Don't get me wrong, I like results such as Iceland 1 - 1 Portugal. But its such an awkward number. This whole '3rd place might be enough' is a bit unnerving.

I'm still on the fence. I thought that we'd see many boring matches with one team barricading themselves. However, we've only seen 2 and those were actually really interesting.

Prime example: Iceland - Portugal.

Can I just say that I despise Ronaldo as a player? His comments on Iceland's performance:

Iceland didn’t try anything. They were just defend, defend, defend and playing on the counterattack. It was a lucky night for them. We should have three points but we are OK. I thought they’d won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end. It was unbelievable. When they don’t try to play and just defend, defend, defend, this in my opinion shows a small mentality and they are not going to do anything in the competition.

If you're too stupid to score more goals and win the game you are not allowed to complain. Iceland did a great job and they deserve the credit. They are a small team and with their resources the result was as good as it could get.

Yeah, that's pretty petty by Ronaldo.

While it doesn't make for good TV the parking of the bus is a very viable strategy. If a team can't break it down and score past the wall of defenders then that's their own fault. If anything it shows Portugal up in that they can't deal with such a setup.

Iceland played very well and deserved to get a point from the game. Hell, they had chances to win it as well!

Looks like Russia is on its way out of the tournament via regular means :laughing:

Looks like Russia is on its way out of the tournament via regular means :laughing:

Yeah, they have been absolute garbage.

Yeah, they have been absolute garbage.

Shame that Slovakia basically stopped to play...it was really close in the end. An important victory for them. :)

Can't wait for Wales - England tomorrow.

Now it's time for Switzerland what they are capable of. I predict Switzerland 2 : 0 Romania

I predict a riot.

Oh that's already happened?

OK, I'll go for 2-2.

Feel really bad for Albania, they've deserved a point from both of their games, but could well finish the tournament with 0pts. That aside I'm glad that France won too, they didn't play too well but put enough bodies in the box to get the victory and it's great to see Payet scoring again.

Romania have been unlucky too, they've played really well in both their games and were unlucky not to draw with France. I think their game against Albania will be a great tie and if Romania win I think they'll qualify for the last 16. Albania will have a chance if they get 3pts, but with the performance of some of the other smaller teams, I think 4pts might be necessary to qualify for the next round.

So hyped for England v Wales, how is everyone planning to watch it?

Tomorrow could be a cracker of a day, 3 games with a lot of potential. Germany v Poland will surely be a classic, and Northern Ireland v Ukraine could go a long way to deciding who finishes 3rd in that group.

Northern Ireland v Ukraine could go a long way to deciding who finishes 3rd in that group.

We'll finish top of the group after beating Ukraine and Germany :yay:

GREEN AND WHITE ARMY :grin:

Looking forward to all three matches today :) My predictions (subject to change)

Englad 2 - 1 Wales (I might switch the score...not sure, yet)

Ukraine 2 - 0 Northern Ireland

Germany 2 - 0 Poland

It appears Woy is starting the same team that could finish the match off the other night. He's either an idiot or a genius.

No way should either Sterling or Kane be starting, in my eyes.

Sterling proving that he's not good enough at this level.

Yup. Me and the lads were hurling abuse at him. I feel it was justified.

Wow, goalkeepers really want Bale to have a good championship.

Two goals from free kicks that should have been comfortably saved.

It's the Russian game all over again. We have all the possession but can't do sod all with it. Sterling needs to come off at half time. Get another striker on!

I'm really enjoying this :yay: It's set up so well for the second half!

I was hoping for a Wales victory today to see them qualify and then England should beat Slovakia to join them in the next round :smile:

It's the Russian game all over again. We have all the possession but can't do sod all with it. Sterling needs to come off at half time. Get another striker on!

If Sterling is going to be playing so narrow then he might as well be Vardy. Even if he plays wide I think Rashford would do just as good a job with the added ability of being able to finish.

Why did Roy only bring one winger if he wants to play this system? Townsend must be livid watching this!

I'm really enjoying this :yay: It's set up so well for the second half!

I was hoping for a Wales victory today to see them qualify and then England should beat Slovakia to join them in the next round :smile:

England won't beat Slovakia if they carry on playing like this.

You see, Woy, that's what happens when you drop Sterling and Kane! Over the moon with that result.