NEurope
killthenet

Euro 2016

Surprised no-one's yet mentioned Modric's first time, 25 yard volley.

That was absolutely sublime, I was screaming at work!

I've heard that if Russian and English so called "fans" cause trouble again like they did the teams could get thrown out of the tournament.

Really doubt UEFA will go through with that if it happens again.

I've heard that if Russian and English so called "fans" cause trouble again like they did the teams could get thrown out of the tournament.

Same, but something has to be noted here more about Russia than us: their World Cup 2018 campaign has already proved controversial, and is still being looked to as far as I'm aware, and they were involved in trading blows with Polish fans at Euro 2012 too. Can they really still be credited with the Confederations Cup, let alone the actual World Cup? I can absolutely see it moving elsewhere in Europe which I'm praying for.

That was disappointing :sad:

We played with too much fear, particularly in the first half, and it was almost inevitable that Poland would make the breakthrough :hmm: As Steven Davis said after the game, we weren't brave enough in possession. It leaves us needing something from the Germany game, provided we can somehow do the job against Ukraine.

Surprised no-one's yet mentioned Modric's first time, 25 yard volley.

That was absolutely sublime, I was screaming at work!

Yeah, that was bloody delightful!

If they do kick off again I hope UEFA go through with it. We need rid of it and I'd hope that doing this would stop people kicking off, in the long run at least. Bloody inbred knuckle-heads.

because we're all football fans, this seems appropriately placed:

There are some drawbacks, though...

Happen to notice who starred in the game for France (upstaging Pogba et al) small club boys Payet and Kante... You know form players!

No. Good players.

Your English players are utterly average. Vardy is good, but there's a reason he hasn't done much until he was 29, he needs a very specific system to be effective. Small club, sit back counter attack football. That's why it would be amazing if Arsenal bought him; he wouldn't work at all.

Hm :hmm:

Not the start into the tournament that I hoped it would be (apart from the result, of course).

Our defense needs a lot of work...and offensively we need to find alternatives to crack a team that defends with all players. Shooting from the distance is a way...sadly we didn't try as often as I would've liked.

Still, 2:0 is a solid start. And what a great comeback for Schweinsteiger. Really happy for him :)

God dammit. I had Poland down to win 2-0 and Germany 3-0. Both didn't reach their targets. Explain yourself, @drahkon.

I'm top of my work's league, so far. You get 10 points for a correct result but 40 for correct score. I've dropped 60 points today, imo.

Explain yourself, @drahkon.

Well, I had us down to win 4:0 but who could've expected that Ukraine performed this well defensively.

Let's see how we'll play against Poland who, in all likelihood, will have a more offensive setup.

Well, I had us down to win 4:0 but who could've expected that Ukraine performed this well defensively.

Let's see how we'll play against Poland who, in all likelihood, will have a more offensive setup.

It got very slow in the second half. I think I paid more attention to EA's press conference!

Not sure what to think about tomorrow's games. I've gone for:

Spain 2 - 0 Czech Republic

Republic of Ireland 0 - 0 Sweden

Belgium 2 - 1 Italy

I'm really not sure on that middle game there. I can't see many goals in that one at all...think it could be a boring and slow game.

Spain 2 - 0 Czech Republic

Republic of Ireland 0 - 0 Sweden

Belgium 2 - 1 Italy

I literally had those exact scores in mind :D

Not sure if I'll end up using them, but it looks like I will.

I went with Spain 3 - 0 Czech Republic.

Regretting it...what a boring match.

Czech Republic created some great openings in the last few minutes though, they could spring a surprise.

Still wish Petr Cech played for us, he's magnificent! If he didn't have that head injury against Reading all those years ago, which effected his eyesight, he'd be world number 1. He's never been quite as good as he was since.

Still amazing though!

Shame, I wanted them to draw...

If Spain doesn't step it up they'll be out of the tournament in the quarter finals. At the latest.

Wasn't impressed with Spain at all. The Czechs done an anazing job and could have nicked a goal at the end.

Belgium have been pretty disappointing so far. The movement has been static and it's just been so predictable. It's very similar to watching Man Utd this season. Nobody willing to make any runs, pointless balls sideways and backwards and no cutting edge. It's criminal for a team to be playing this way with that amount of talent in the side.

Can see Italy finishing this game off 2-0 now. Fuck sake!

Really enjoyed the Ireland v Sweden game, we pushed forward more than I think a lot of people, Sweden included expected. I think we had the better of the first half and were unlucky not to be one up at the break.

The early goal in the 2nd half was great, lovely play by Coleman to create space and get into position for the cross and perfectly struck half volley from Wes Hoolahan to send it into the net.

AMAZING

BUt then after that they dropped off too much, should have kept the pressure on Sweden and gone for a 2nd goal but they allowed Sweden to then control the tempo and Sweden then sprung to life. The equaliser was unlucky, an Own Goal :( But from looking at replays even if Clarke hadnt made contact it would have likely gone in off the Swedish player (cant remember who it was) that was beside him.

Good game, shame, we didnt hold out for the win, but 1 point is better than none and we played well. Hoepfully can keep it up over the next two games and cause an upset or two

COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN

I'm going to be an optimist and say that the second half of this is going to be a cracker. Belgium to play much better, but Italy to still cause them issues.

Such a shameful performance by Belgium. Didn't think we would do great, but this is just terrible play. They just don't play as a team, fumbling around with the ball as if they haven't played an international game before. :(

This is an appalling Belgian performance.

Yeah, just awful. Looked like they might get back into it early in the 2nd half, but they never really caused Italy any trouble. Lukaku was awful and so was Origi after he came on, I wouldn't be surprised if Benteke gets the nod next time around.

Ireland and Sweden both look capable of getting a result against Belgium on this showing, the curse of the 'golden generation' tag?

Hands down, that was the best game and team performance of the tournament so far!

No idea where Italy's been for so long, that's definitely the best I've seen them play at a tournament since 2006. Been screaming Bonucci's praises and shouting that he should come to us for a few seasons now, definitely one of the most underrated centre backs in the world.

Another thing to point out, is that Giaccherini was TERRIBLE up until his goal (so that came from nowhere), and I don't recall any of Candreva's crosses being touched by own of his own players before his assist there at the end. Still throughly expect Belgium to go through, but it might just be in second place.

Who would have seen that coming?

Very few goals in the tournament so far, I hope things start to liven up in the second round of matches when teams know they need to get a result.

Also disappointed in there not being a 2pm kick off today. Good way to pass the time at work!