NEurope
killthenet

Euro 2016

Geez, what the hell was that game? Both Germany and Italy can play way better than that, and yet they kept losing the ball left and right. And that penalty shoot-out was a disgrace, how the hell can two top-tier teams fail half of their penalties?

Geez, what the hell was that game? Both Germany and Italy can play way better than that, and yet they kept losing the ball left and right. And that penalty shoot-out was a disgrace, how the hell can two top-tier teams fail half of their penalties?

Some pathetic penalties. What was Pelle doing? He could have put them on the brink of winning it but just dragged it wide. I don't know why they don't always just smash it.

And I don't think the game was as bad as you were making out Flink, the second half was really good and it was a shame that extra time was so scrappy but its to be expected when there is so much at stake.

I hope whoever wins tomorrow night can put Germany out in the semi final though. Fingers firmly crossed for a Wales v Iceland final.

The first half was pretty dull. The only interesting period of the game was maybe the middle third of that second half, but the rest of the game was dire...including the penalty shootouts.

Considering who these countries are and which players were on the pitch, I think the game was a complete letdown. I was disappointed with the performances from both sides, but the time-wasting (particularly in extra-time) was top class. A new level was reached yesterday.

I have a feeling that we'll get a much better game today.

Some pathetic penalties. What was Pelle doing? He could have put them on the brink of winning it but just dragged it wide. I don't know why they don't always just smash it.

And I don't think the game was as bad as you were making out Flink, the second half was really good and it was a shame that extra time was so scrappy but its to be expected when there is so much at stake.

I hope whoever wins tomorrow night can put Germany out in the semi final though. Fingers firmly crossed for a Wales v Iceland final.

The first half was pretty dull. The only interesting period of the game was maybe the middle third of that second half, but the rest of the game was dire...including the penalty shootouts.

Considering who these countries are and which players were on the pitch, I think the game was a complete letdown. I was disappointed with the performances from both sides, but the time-wasting (particularly in extra-time) was top class. A new level was reached yesterday.

I have a feeling that we'll get a much better game today.

Am I the only one who thought it was a decent match? It was very tactical from both teams. Italy tried to play as they did against Spain but we nullified almost all of their offensive attempts.

And since they defended with 9-10 people it's obviously difficult to create chances for the opposing team. I think we did it well. Of course, we didn't want to play too risky, resulting in quite long passages of passing but eventually we did create some chances and also scored a goal.

If Boateng didn't move like a fucking fairy in that aerial duel we would've won in normal time.

And that extra time...what did you expect? So much at stake and nobody wanted to make a mistake. Italy much less than Germany (just like during the whole match).

Yes, it could've been a great match if you just looked at the names, but I honestly don't think anybody should've expected more than what we've seen, especially if you saw Italy's previous games in the Euro.

And to add my two cents to the penalty shootout: I don't understand the criticism.

Have you every played football in your youth and had to walk to the penalty spot in order to possibly screw up or win the game? Every bit of professionalism and all the experience say goodbye. And for professional players in a tournament at this stage that feeling is probably unimaginable for us.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Just watched Zaza's penalty again. What a moron.

Gets subbed in just to shoot the penalty and then he does this. That's what arrogance gets you (and I'm pretty sure that run-up wasn't something other than arrogance).

giphy.gif

Edit2: Just to clarify, I agree that there are better ways to shoot penalties and that was not the best display of several players in a shootout, but I think the criticism I've read on the internet is way too harsh.

Anyway, we'll probably see a "better" game today because with all due respect Iceland don't have the defensive quality that Italy has, so France will likely create a lot of chances.

They match could, however, turn out to be a drag, though if France get so scared to really put enough effort into attacking.

Edited by drahkon

Am I the only one who thought it was a decent match? It was very tactical from both teams. Italy tried to play as they did against Spain but we nullified almost all of their offensive attempts.

And since they defended with 9-10 people it's obviously difficult to create chances for the opposing team. I think we did it well. Of course, we didn't want to play too risky, resulting in quite long passages of passing but eventually we did create some chances and also scored a goal.

If Boateng didn't move like a fucking fairy in that aerial duel we would've won in normal time.

And that extra time...what did you expect? So much at stake and nobody wanted to make a mistake. Italy much less than Germany (just like during the whole match).

Yes, it could've been a great match if you just looked at the names, but I honestly don't think anybody should've expected more than what we've seen, especially if you saw Italy's previous games in the Euro.

And to add my two cents to the penalty shootout: I don't understand the criticism.

Have you every played football in your youth and had to walk to the penalty spot in order to possibly screw up or win the game? Every bit of professionalism and all the experience say goodbye. And for professional players in a tournament at this stage that feeling is probably unimaginable for us.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Just watched Zaza's penalty again. What a moron.

Gets subbed in just to shoot the penalty and then he does this. That's what arrogance gets you (and I'm pretty sure that run-up wasn't something other than arrogance).

giphy.gif

Edit2: Just to clarify, I agree that there are better ways to shoot penalties and that was not the best display of several players in a shootout, but I think the criticism I've read on the internet is way too harsh.

Anyway, we'll probably see a "better" game today because with all due respect Iceland don't have the defensive quality that Italy has, so France will likely create a lot of chances.

They match could, however, turn out to be a drag, though if France get so scared to really put enough effort into attacking.

Edited by drahkon

Feel bad for Iceland, they've been a bit too open at the back but have had a few good opportunities to score. Can't stand the commentators on ITV, really happy that both semi finals and the final are on BBC too.

Before the tournament I had wanted France or Germany to win it but as the tournament has gone on I've grown to dislike both teams, so I'm not really sure who I would want to make it to the final. Germany could absolutely destroy France if they're as open as they have been tonight. I know they've been comfortably ahead for a while, but they were pretty open even at 2-0, so a team like Germany should get a lot of opportunities.

Feel bad for Iceland, they've been a bit too open at the back but have had a few good opportunities to score. Can't stand the commentators on ITV, really happy that both semi finals and the final are on BBC too.

Before the tournament I had wanted France or Germany to win it but as the tournament has gone on I've grown to dislike both teams, so I'm not really sure who I would want to make it to the final. Germany could absolutely destroy France if they're as open as they have been tonight. I know they've been comfortably ahead for a while, but they were pretty open even at 2-0, so a team like Germany should get a lot of opportunities.

If France leaves as many openings as they did tonight on Thursday we might have a good chance to shoot them out of the stadium.

Will be an interesting match. Hopefully it will be the best of the Euro so far.

If France leaves as many openings as they did tonight on Thursday we might have a good chance to shoot them out of the stadium.

Will be an interesting match. Hopefully it will be the best of the Euro so far.

Thomas Müller is really a funny dude :laughing:

And after the match an interviewer asked him: "So, either Iceland or France will be your opponent in the semi finals. What's next for you? Do you want to win? Do you really want the title?"

His response: "No, no way. Our goal has always been to be eliminated in the semifinals so that's what we're aiming for"

He should've added: "You idiot." :laughing:

Thomas Müller is really a funny dude :laughing:

And after the match an interviewer asked him: "So, either Iceland or France will be your opponent in the semi finals. What's next for you? Do you want to win? Do you really want the title?"

His response: "No, no way. Our goal has always been to be eliminated in the semifinals so that's what we're aiming for"

He should've added: "You idiot." :laughing:

Iceland endured a rocky first half against France, but they came back strong in the second half and kept going. They could actually have scored 3 or 4 by the end of the night, which is crazy. I thought their performance was fantastic, despite the loss. Their fans were a credit to their country and I thought that their players deserve applause for the way that they kept going, even when they were 4-0 down at the break.

France were there to make a statement, but they looked defensively vulnerable, imo. No idea what the score between them and Germany will be now. Tempted to go with a 1-1 or 2-2 before it heads into extra-time.

Iceland endured a rocky first half against France, but they came back strong in the second half and kept going. They could actually have scored 3 or 4 by the end of the night, which is crazy. I thought their performance was fantastic, despite the loss. Their fans were a credit to their country and I thought that their players deserve applause for the way that they kept going, even when they were 4-0 down at the break.

France were there to make a statement, but they looked defensively vulnerable, imo. No idea what the score between them and Germany will be now. Tempted to go with a 1-1 or 2-2 before it heads into extra-time.

Semi Final's start tonight, who is everyones money on to make the final? I think fans of both Wales and Portugal will be very optimistic going into tonights match, on paper they're both quite similar teams with solid squads accentuated by one or two star players. Ramsey being suspended could have a huge bearing on the result, as it arguably gives Portugal the edge - especially with their rising star Renato Sanches looking to have the ability to change games. The Portuguese will be missing William Carvalho in midfield though, so Wales will be hoping that leaves their defence a little more exposed.

It's a game that really could go either way, on form in the tournament you'd have to make Wales the favourites but Portugal have shown a resilience and Ronaldo is still yet to really fire in the competition while Bale has shown a maturity in relishing the chance to lead by example.

I've been supporting Wales since the beginning of the tournament so I will definitely be disappointed if they don't win tonight, but I also wouldn't begrudge Ronaldo the opportunity to finally win a major international tournament, so I hope whoever wins tonight goes on to lift the trophy on Sunday.

Semi Final's start tonight, who is everyones money on to make the final? I think fans of both Wales and Portugal will be very optimistic going into tonights match, on paper they're both quite similar teams with solid squads accentuated by one or two star players. Ramsey being suspended could have a huge bearing on the result, as it arguably gives Portugal the edge - especially with their rising star Renato Sanches looking to have the ability to change games. The Portuguese will be missing William Carvalho in midfield though, so Wales will be hoping that leaves their defence a little more exposed.

It's a game that really could go either way, on form in the tournament you'd have to make Wales the favourites but Portugal have shown a resilience and Ronaldo is still yet to really fire in the competition while Bale has shown a maturity in relishing the chance to lead by example.

I've been supporting Wales since the beginning of the tournament so I will definitely be disappointed if they don't win tonight, but I also wouldn't begrudge Ronaldo the opportunity to finally win a major international tournament, so I hope whoever wins tonight goes on to lift the trophy on Sunday.

Is it just me, or has Bale been pretty poor this tournament other than the free kicks in the first couple of games?

Gutted for Wales. They didn't have their best game today, but it's frustrating seeing Portugal reach the final after they've scraped through the rounds.

They really missed Ramsey tonight.

Still, better than England have done for years!

Is it just me, or has Bale been pretty poor this tournament other than the free kicks in the first couple of games?

Gutted for Wales. They didn't have their best game today, but it's frustrating seeing Portugal reach the final after they've scraped through the rounds.

They really missed Ramsey tonight.

Still, better than England have done for years!

Well done, Portugal. Good luck in the final. You'll need it...

I thought Wales were really poor in the second half. They came out too slow and they lost their shape too easily. The substitutions killed the game because that shape that they kept so well throughout the competition was lost and you had players struggling to make the right passes because they couldn't make out where their team-mates were. The fluidity was lost.

Bale played too much in deep midfield and not higher up the pitch. It killed any attack Wales had because there weren't enough numbers going forward. He tried to do it all himself tonight and there wasn't that trust there in the team to pull through together. This was a very "England" performance in that it didn't feel like they were a cohesive team tonight. Definitely the weakest performance so far this competition for them.

Buuuuut, they've been awesome throughout and to even make the semi-final is a huge fucking deal. I'm really proud of them and it's nice being able to see my friends from back home have something to cheer about. They've learned a lot from this competition and it's good for the future of the sport in Wales.