Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Pokemon on Home Consoles

Falcon_BlizZACK

I think that a Pokemon game on a console needs to offer something that can't be done justice on a handheld and that anything that involves a heavy focus on communication (such as the mainline games or the TCG) is simply a better fit for a handheld.

The TCG is played online on yo' PC, cunningly titled PTCGO. Each physical booster comes with a code you can type/scan in and get an online booster (contents may differ from what you actually pulled). I don't think the TCG would work on a handheld console. There's just too much going on. I think the game on the Game Boy looked terrible. If you finally remember what each card does - lovely, but if you wanna search the field and look at stuff in real time, handheld isn't that great. I suppose it could be done on a 3DS or something, however it would be zoomed out a great deal to get everything in.

Because you don't understand Pokémon. You think just doing an app or making people buy a second game to do the usual Pokémon stuff is acceptable. It really isn't and would work against the game.

To be fair they do that already. Unless you make one of those pacts with a friend to each buy a different version. But some peeps don't have those feels and still want to catch 'em all.

And this is exactly why I stopped playing the Pokemon games. I felt like I was playing the same game with a graphical upgrade over and over again. Granted we are also talking about a game with a graphical update but I think an epic RPG that looked amazing would work really well.

I agree with this/and the other similar comments that have followed, and yet still people lap up FIFA/etc every fucking year.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this/and the other similar comments that have followed, and yet still people lap up FIFA/etc every fucking year.

I think sports games are a whole different thing but I get what you mean. I havent bought a COD game for quite a while as I was feeling a similar fatigue, despite them having a much less rigid formula than Pokemon.

To be fair they do that already. Unless you make one of those pacts with a friend to each buy a different version. But some peeps don't have those feels and still want to catch 'em all.

That's not their intent and you know it. The intent is to trade with friends. Not Game Freak's fault if some people don't have friends.

I think a Guild Wars style for any hypothetical MMO would work best - towns/cities include interactions with other players while all the quests etc take place in instances for each team.

I simply don't understand how anyone could not be in favour of the idea of a Skyrim style home console Pokemon game... but I also know that it will never happen.

That's not their intent and you know it. The intent is to trade with friends. Not Game Freak's fault if some people don't have friends.

I suppose it isnt Gamefreaks fault that at age 27 I don't have any real life friends that play Pokemon :indeed:

Then that'd be a spin-off and I'm all for that :)

I'm fairly sure that every single person in the thread has been suggesting something more than a direct copy of the 2D games into a 3D home console game. The point is the home console would have the additional power to create a proper open world adventure game more akin to something like Skyrim or Dragon Age, to give us a new kind of gameplay - possibly not even turn based at all - in the Pokemon universe. There is so much untapped potential for something like this, and as can be seen from this thread, so many different ways to do it that the biggest stumbling block for developing such a thing would be figuring out where to start!

Perhaps unfortunately, the big, sprawling 3D open world Pokémon adventure with every Pokémon, online etc. that people dream of is just a too big operation for it to feasibly happen. A spin-off 3D RPG, like Colosseum or XD (but better!) would be welcome, or even something with different mechanics (though not Mystery Dungeon please!), and I think that's what Serebii is getting at - it'd be a spin-off. So I think Serebii's point is that what people dream is pretty unfeasible and just moving the game as it is now (with random encounters etc.) wouldn't gain a lot other than better graphics, and would lose the portable aspect, which is something that is a core part of the series (it's called Pocket Monsters, after all) but not something that all fans care about. Perhaps that's down to the age of people on here?

Perhaps unfortunately, the big, sprawling 3D open world Pokémon adventure with every Pokémon, online etc. that people dream of is just a too big operation for it to feasibly happen.

May I ask for the reason why it would be "a too big operation"?

Perhaps unfortunately, the big, sprawling 3D open world Pokémon adventure with every Pokémon, online etc. that people dream of is just a too big operation for it to feasibly happen.

RULE No.1 to this thread: No "it doesn't work" negative comments please. (consider this a test on keeping things 'positive').

I'm just highlighting the two above points because I feel they're grinding against each other in this thread, but I'm going to take this to a further discussion in the thread about this place.

I've always felt that if the NX is going to be a handheld and a home console with closely shared architecture, Pokemon could be the series to drive home the interconnectability between Handheld, Home Console and perhaps Smartphone.

That did jump to my mind reading some of the ideas people were having on here - though some already suggesting it being done with 3ds/phones already. However a truly designed(assuming NX is what we assume it is) console/handheld combo could be excellent for a lot of things, especially something like what people are saying they'd like here.

I said it would unfortunately never happen - that's positive, right? I'd love if it was possible. The main problem with having free-roaming pokémon is there are 720 species - that's a lot to animate and program movements/behaviours etc, not taking into account different forms/genders! Which is why any 3D console Pokémon game is likely to be on a smaller scale. What they do on 3DS is pretty impressive if you think about it, although the engine doesn't actually perform perfectly. Was just trying to clarify Serebii's thoughts on that matter in a more succinct way.

Anyway, I don't mean to derail. It's great to dream of what could be! :)

I don't know why it can't have a world like final fantasy 12, in that monsters appear on screen, they are random in that certain numbers of monsters will appear in a zone, rare ones have a chance to be spawned into the zone

If a ps2 game that can look that good can have that many unique monsters i surely think Pokemon could be done the same way, and if it had an anime style and followed the theme Mr Master X 2 said then it would be a truely unique spin off game

I don't think its impossible, i think with Game freak it is, but with other developers handling the spin off game it could and should

or even something with different mechanics (though not Mystery Dungeon please!)

Hey, did you hear? Mystery Dungeon is getting a new installment in 2016.

Sucks to be you, but awesome to be me!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Mystery Dungeon is better than the mainline series.

It's a matter of opinion!

Hey, did you hear? Mystery Dungeon is getting a new installment in 2016.

Sucks to be you, but awesome to be me!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Mystery Dungeon is better than the mainline series.

It's a matter of opinion!

I knew that would summon you :p

XujHLh.jpg

As I thought. No fun allowed.

I thought everyone was having pretty respectful discussions, actually.

Maybe they could call it Pokemon Professor or something, where the aim isn't to catch and fight them, but see them all and fill in your Pokedex.

You could play a young Professor Oak, just starting his journey into Pokedemia.

I don't really believe this is the case - I believe its mostly down to laziness, GameFreak/Nintendo knowing they can just copy and paste the structure of Red and Blue into every Pokemon adventure thereafter and make millions... The same old HM bs, the same fire, grass, water starters, the same team evil looking to hijack a legendary, the same Elite 4 + champion routine...(sigh)

If they are technically incapable, give it to someone else. The pokemon models, moves, cries, battle animations are all there.

Or maybe such a game will just expose the fact that they can't really make a compelling story to befit such a game?

If they are technically incapable, give it to someone else. The pokemon models, moves, cries, battle animations are all there.

Well, if the gameplay were to become action-oriented, then all of those assets would have to be redone, even the cries. This isn't just a matter of exporting a game to the big screen, it would be a full-on reboot/remake/revolution.

Of course, all they would have to do is make an adventure with 100-150 Pokémon chosen from their library and start with that. After the game sells more than bottled water, make a sequel with a bunch of Pokémon that weren't used yet. Making a huge world with all 700+ Pokémon from the get go would be a disservice to the concept, since they have to come up with capturing methods, behaviours, etc. for all of them. Even Pokémon Snap only had around 70 Pokémon.

Going into the thread's intent, there's a bunch of Pokémon that are "meh" in the portable games, but would be great in this new environment:

Sudowoodo: Make a forest, and one of those trees is not like the others...

Corsola&Relicanth: You could actually have a time limit to go fetch them at the bottom of the ocean

Mawile: Neutralize the enormous and dangerous jaw before you can capture it.

And so on.

Or maybe such a game will just expose the fact that they can't really make a compelling story to befit such a game?

Oh, I'm sure somebody at Nintendo can do it. Just not Game Freak :heh:

The same old HM bs, the same fire, grass, water starters, the same team evil looking to hijack a legendary, the same Elite 4 + champion routine...(sigh)

You really need to play Black/White.

You don't need a single HM to finish the game. To get optional stuff, sure, but you can see the credits without using a single one.

Team Evil in this game actually do succeed in getting a legendary. And they do use it against you. And it is awesome!

By the time you see the credits, you haven't become the champion. The credits roll once you take down Team Evil in easily the best ending in the mainline series.

It took such good steps in the right direction, I kinda wish they kept bucking the trend with X/Y.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Mystery Dungeon series has proven that you can have a good story in a Pokemon game.

It amazed me just how dark it got at times. Then again, it's from the people who bought you 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, so maybe it shouldn't be that surprising...

Edited by Glen-i

You don't need a single HM to finish the game. To get optional stuff, sure, but you can see the credits without using a single one.

Team Evil in this game actually do succeed in getting a legendary. And they do use it against you. And it is awesome!

By the time you see the credits, you haven't become the champion. The credits roll once you take down Team Evil in easily the best ending in the mainline series.

It took such good steps in the right direction, I kinda wish they kept bucking the trend with X/Y.

TBF, XY barely used it. Think you needed Surf in two places and Strength & Waterfall in one

Edited by Serebii

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Mystery Dungeon series has proven that you can have a good story in a Pokemon game.

It amazed me just how dark it got at times. Then again, it's from the people who bought you 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, so maybe it shouldn't be that surprising...

I have played B&W - and it was nice to experience a very different settings/characters (first ever with black characters?!) - but I still think more could be done for a change.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!