Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

There is one very big reason @Serebii... the NX.

The NX is reason enough to think they've stopped WiiU game production and are working on NX game production.

Yup. You'd have to be a madman to think there is going to be much of worth being announced for it. No idea why someone would look at past consoles and releases and try to say that is what will happen here. Wii U has bombed and it is on the way out. Xenoblade X aside, Nintendo released a load of garbage in the past few months as well, which says to me they have clearly lost interest.

Well they have Pikmin 4 pretty much ready, but I think they're holding out on that. if NX is ready THIS year they'll release it on that, if it will be next year they'll release it for wii u. Maybe...

I don't care either to be honest. I have so many games to play through and desperate to clear it all before NX arrives. Two Zeldas, 3 Fire Emblems, Star Fox and Uncharted 4 is more than enough new stuff at a minimum!!

I'd say that the Wii U has a pretty good lineup for the immediate future as far as 1st Party games go.

You've got Twilight Princess HD in March and then Pokken and Star Fox Zero in the months following right afterwards.

Then there's #FE that'll be coming not long afterwards. That's not a bad few months ahead of us :) (though of course there's no exact dates but they're all coming in Q1 and #FE will probably be in Q2). Pikmin 4 will likely be Q2 as well, considering that it's supposedly nearly done (and Pikmin games tend to come out around that time).

You should know how Nintendo announce their stuff by now; they generally focus on the immediate future (unless it's E3). So they're not talking about anything Q2 yet; just Q1/Spring.

Edited by Dcubed

Oh hey, bit random, but cool nonetheless...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166846

The Nintendo World Store is getting a revamp... and a name change!

It is now known as Nintendo NY Store... A precursor to Nintendo London Store perhaps? ;) (They did do that temporary pop up store in Paris a few years back... so it's not impossible)

I hope so! It's a lovely place! :D

I really hope it does mean more Nintendo stores. Talking bout playing on them too. Having a space to buy loads of great merchandise and play games, especially if they hold events and tournaments there regularly, could be exactly the audience engagement they need.

Having a store in London is exactly why I didn't get excited about the news. If we do get a shop over here then that's exactly where it would end up. Screw the south!

#Geordie4lyfe :D

You're just jealous because you're not associated with poshness!

Having a store in London is exactly why I didn't get excited about the news. If we do get a shop over here then that's exactly where it would end up. Screw the south!

I'm the biggest city with the the largest amount of money running through it... Strange :p

Have to agree with this. There are more cities in the UK rather than just London.

I'm the biggest city with the the largest amount of money running through it... Strange :p

It's only the biggest because it's overcrowded and it's only got the largest amount because all of the money gets funneled there instead of being distributed to the rest of the UK. :p

It's only the biggest because it's overcrowded and it's only got the largest amount because all of the money gets funneled there instead of being distributed to the rest of the UK. :p

AND WE PAY A LOT AND PUT UP WITH A LOT FOR THIS SO DON'T TAKE IT AWAY FROM US.

But joking aside, except for North America the capital city is always the one that would get shops first. It just makes sense. Are you really going to put a shop in a city whose population (including metropolitan boroughs) is 5% of the annual visitor numbers of the capital?

tl;dr :heh:

I've got Zelda Windwaker, so now I have Xenoblade Chronicles, which I am playing and have probably another 40 hours to play it before I cane finish it (it is sad that it will not get an HD version), Xenoblade Chronicles X which I have only started, and now Zelda..... When I add Mario 3D world, Mario Kart, FAST and some other smaller games, I have probably enough to play for the whole year :D.

I have been playing Fatal Frame (the demo) and I have realized that I have to tilt my gamepad to the side so that on TV the camera is straight. I hope you know what I mean.

Does it mean that I have to fix the settings of my gamepad or it's just the way the game is done?

GDC (Game Developers Conference) 2016 is around a month away, and as part of the traditional warm-up for the gathering the event has released the outcome of its most recent 'state of the industry' survey - over 2000 North American game developers took part.

As was the case in 2015 it reflects a disappointingly low interest in development for both Wii U and 3DS. Both of Nintendo's systems saw a decline in responses confirming development on the platforms, while there were gains for rivals and Virtual Reality. The list of active development platforms from those that participated is below.

PC - 52% (down from 56%)

Mobile (iOS and Android) - 44% (down from 50%)

PlayStation 4 - 27% (up from 26%)

Xbox One - 23% (up from 22%)

VR (Oculus, Vive, PS VR, Gear etc) - 16% (up from 7%)

Wii U - 5% (down from 6%)

3DS - 2% (down from 3%)

Those are pretty grim figures for Wii U and 3DS but, notably, not surprising in light of the figures from the previous survey. Unsurprisingly some developers may be holding off to see what Nintendo delivers with its NX hardware.

The big gain in interest is clearly with Virtual Reality, while elsewhere strong support and confidence was cited for the future of eSports; that's an area Nintendo of America, in particular, has been targeting with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

For those that follow Nintendo systems closely these figures likely bring no surprise; the number of games from third parties, both retail and on the eShop, has been limited in the past couple of years. With figures like these reflecting the priorities of developers in North America, it's to be expected that so much attention is already moving to Nintendo's next generation of hardware. The Wii U and 3DS do have some promising first-party titles on the way, at least.

No surprise, really.

Interest in VR seems to have had a healthy jump. It will be interesting to see if it takes off in a big way and, if it does, how it will effect Nintendo in the future, especially if they have no interest in doing it.

I still think that VR will kick off if it is priced correctly. If it is priced correctly and Nintendo fail to get on board then I can see the their next generation being another tough ride.

VR is going to be a very hard sell outside the very hardcore gamer. General public were reluctant to wear glasses for 3D, they're going to be reluctant to put a brick in front of their eyes. Not to mention the cost of entry

VR really strikes me that it'll be similar to how 3D movies went. The industry going crazy about them for a while, the general public not so much.

Edited by Serebii

I still think that VR will kick off if it is priced correctly. If it is priced correctly and Nintendo fail to get on board then I can see the their next generation being another tough ride.

VR is unlikely to 'kick off' for several reasons:

1) Price

2) Price of the hardware needed to get it running (ie a quality PC)

3) Health issues - the disclaimers already state that children shouldn't use the units at all and adult users should play for limited time only.

4) Derived from point '3', long haul gaming sessions of several hours would likely be very uncomfortable or even damaging to eyes.

5) VR is awesome for first person games, but adds little to genres playing from a 3D person or 2D perspective.

I remember someone trying out VR at a gaming event and feeling sick afterwards...

But worse will be when some fat neck beard who spends 12 hours a day gaming in his mum's basement is found dead, frothing at the mouth because he had a seizure using his VR headset. Or when a group of gamers sue as a class action due to eye problems from spending too much time playing.

VR is fraught with issues, not just the price, but health problems arising from using the devices for prolonged periods.

I mostly agree with @Zechs Merquise regarding VR. I don't think it'll be one as large as motion controls have/were, but it will have it's place.

Although I do think it's going to have health issues too. It may appear and feel like you're in a 3D world but the fact of the matter is you're not. The brain being tricked into perceiving that you are, whilst the actual light your eyes are receiving to process said information coming from one singular, very close, point of origin will not be good for your eyesight.

The big thing is that people won't listen to the health warnings or recommended play times etc.

Still, I've played with the Rift and it is awesome! I loved it and will probably pick up a Morpheus headset for the PS4, but I don't think it'll be as big a thing or as perfect as we hope.

Edited by Kav

I think one of the differences is that you never used to hear people trying out 3D tvs for the first time, and saying how incredible it was. All the hype seemed to be coming from the industry side of things.

With VR seemingly everyone who has tried it, is blown away. Hopefully they can use that momentum to push the technology through until it gets cheaper and more universal.

Personally, I have no issue with Nintendo leaving VR by the wayside. I have zero interest in it. A few people at work ( one of them worked on EVE: Valkyrie ) love it and thinks it's amazing. It ain't for me.

EDIT: I guess we ain't getting a Nintendo Direct any time soon. We've had the release dates of Animal Crossing amiibo announced, a bunch of trailers and details for Fire Emblem, Bravely Second, Dragon Quest and Project X Zone 2 were discussed yesterday at a 3DS JRPG press event, a trailer for the Zelda TP amiibo use arrived today and now Nintendo PR released this...

Nintendo of America has sent out a new announcement regarding amiibo. The publisher shared the latest news about upcoming figures and games supporting the functionality in early 2016.

Perhaps the biggest news here is that amiibo support is now official for Star Fox Zero. However, Nintendo will be sharing specifics at a later date.

We also now know that new Animal Crossing amiibo, including characters like Timmy & Tommy, Kapp’n and Rover, are due out in North America on March 18. Digby will also be made available as a stand-alone figure. The next series of Animal Crossing amiibo cards will also arrive in March.

Also in terms of amiibo figures, several Pokemon will be restocked at select retailers. Be on the lookout for Charizard, Jigglypuff, Greninja and Lucario to once again return to shelves right next to Pikachu.

Head past the break for today’s full announcement, which also recaps news about Twilight Princess HD and Mario & Sonic.

REDMOND, Wash., Jan. 21, 2016 – The Nintendo games launching in the first part of the year are going to include some fun amiibo functionality. Games like The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD for the Wii U console and Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games™ for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, both launching in March, use a wide variety of different compatible amiibo figures. Some new amiibo figures will also launch in March, including the legendary Wolf Link amiibo that is included in every physical version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, as well as three new figures in the Animal Crossing amiibo series, featuring fan-favorite characters like Timmy & Tommy, Kapp’n and Rover. The previously announced Ryu, Roy and R.O.B. (Famicom Colors) amiibo figures will also launch in March.

“New amiibo figures and functionality will keep surprising fans in 2016,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. “All the upcoming amiibo prove that the must-have figures are continuing to evolve in unexpected and fun ways.”

When the physical version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD launches on March 4 at a suggested retail price of $59.99, it will include a beautiful Wolf Link amiibo figure based on the same character from the classic game. Purchasing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD and Wolf Link amiibo bundle will currently be the only way to get this amiibo figure. When tapped to the Wii U GamePad controller, this legendary lupine opens the Cave of Shadows, a challenging new bonus dungeon in the game. After completing the Cave of Shadows, players can save their remaining hearts to the Wolf Link amiibo, and then use those hearts inside the Cave of Shadows to replenish life energy. After conquering the cave, players can save a record of their remaining hearts to the Wolf Link amiibo and attempt to beat their score at any time. Some of the data stored on the Wolf Link amiibo figure can also be used with The Legend of Zelda game for Wii U, which launches this year. More details about this functionality will be revealed in the future.

In addition to the Wolf Link amiibo, other amiibo figures in the Super Smash Bros. series like Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf will work with The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD. By tapping the Link or Toon Link amiibo, players can replenish their arrows. Tapping Zelda or Sheik will refill the player’s hearts, while, in a devious twist, tapping the Ganondorf figure will actually make Link take double the damage!

On March 18, new amiibo figures in the Animal Crossing series will launch in stores, including characters like Timmy & Tommy, Kapp’n and Rover. Digby will also be made available as a stand-alone amiibo. The next series of Animal Crossing amiibo cards also launches in March, bringing the grand total of available amiibo cards to be used in games like Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival for Wii U and Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer for Nintendo 3DS to a whopping 300. Let the collecting begin!

Fans who are ready to compete in Rio de Janeiro with Mario, Sonic and the gang in Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games will also have to warm up their amiibo-tapping fingers. When the action-filled game launches for Nintendo 3DS on March 18 at a suggested retail price of $39.99, both Mario and Sonic amiibo figures will be compatible*. By tapping the Mario or Sonic amiibo figures to the New Nintendo 3DS system (or on a Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL or Nintendo 2DS system using the NFC Reader/Writer accessory), players can boost Mario and Sonic’s outfits with that character’s power for the day.

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Pokémon, some of the Pokémon amiibo will be made available again at select retailers. Fans should be on the lookout for Charizard, Jigglypuff, Greninja and Lucario to once again return to shelves right next to Pikachu.

Finally, Star Fox Zero delivers a new beginning for the classic shooter series. With a unique control scheme that uses both the TV screen and the screen on the GamePad, players pilot multiple vehicles through intergalactic levels with Fox and his classic crew. The game launches exclusively for Wii U on April 22 and will feature amiibo compatibility. More details will be revealed at a later time.

In the past most, if not all, of this would have been saved for a Nintendo Direct.

The concept behind VR is great, although tech isn't there yet. It's jarring to be "wow it's like I'm really here, let's use this gun...oh wait I'm pressing a button".

Most people I know who have had a go have liked it but said they felt nauseated after a prolonged period on it. This is a major issue, it's even happened to some journalists testing Oculus out. People say "well it probably wasn't calibrated right", and that's a valid reason but brings up another point. Do you honestly expect the standard consumer to go in and calibrate everything? Considering how many haven't even properly set up their TVs, it's not likely.

Holodeck or bust.

Personally, I have no issue with Nintendo leaving VR by the wayside. I have zero interest in it. A few people at work ( one of them worked on EVE: Valkyrie ) love it and thinks it's amazing. It ain't for me.

EDIT: I guess we ain't getting a Nintendo Direct any time soon. We've had the release dates of Animal Crossing amiibo announced, a bunch of trailers and details for Fire Emblem, Bravely Second, Dragon Quest and Project X Zone 2 were discussed yesterday at a 3DS JRPG press event, a trailer for the Zelda TP amiibo use arrived today and now Nintendo PR released this...

In the past most, if not all, of this would have been saved for a Nintendo Direct.

To be fair, we had similar news drops in November and we got a Direct :)