N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

.........But the other companies don't have their chiefs of staff making unfathomably ignorant and stupid comments defending it. And the other companies run schemes where you get them for free or reduced. And reduce over time. Etc.

This is more of the issue - the nonsensical reasoning/justification on the idea.

It's not like the other video game publishers do the exact same thing.

Wait, what's that? They do? The horror...

Yes, the other companies reduce it as time passes, but they start off the same as RRP.

It is ridiculous to trash Nintendo for doing this and not everyone else. In fact, doing so shows a massive amount of bias.

I showed 2 recent examples in the other thread this was being discussed in that showed this isn't the case. Puppeteer and Tearaway are cheaper on PSN than they were/are in shops. These were/are launch prices.

As for being biased towards a company. Pot/Kettle black and all that

I showed 2 recent examples in the other thread this was being discussed in that showed this isn't the case. Puppeteer and Tearaway are cheaper on PSN than they were/are in shops. These were/are launch prices.

As for being biased towards a company. Pot/Kettle black and all that

And Nintendo just last week put up Kid Icarus for a reduced price on the NA eShop. A handful of exceptions does not mean they don't do it.

And Nintendo just last week put up Kid Icarus for a reduced price on the NA eShop. A handful of exceptions does not mean they don't do it.

Did Kid Icarus just come out? Didn't think so. Unless there's a new version been released that I'm blissfully unaware of. As you stated, companies lower the price of older games and that's all that's happened here.

Can this not be done somewhere else? Didn't this thread get deleted and re-made for going too far off topic? Always the same.

In other WII U related CONSOLE news, has anyone preordered the sexy Mario and Luigi wii remotes?! They're showing as having a release date of Tuesday... Which is odd, but I haven't decided if I want to pay 40 quid for one yet! It seems silly when I can get Wii Play U or whatever it is and get a remote bundled in for free! But they look sooooo sweet.

Anyone planning on buying one? Or both?!

This is a really interesting debate.

I believe Nintendo's beliefs operate in a similar vein to apple's. Both have hardware that doesn't use the highest specs available, but the extra cost (in Nintendo's case: software) comes from the value they put, and transfer onto consumers through their design principles and branding.

In my opinion it is a smart business approach to adopt as the technology arms race is such a fast-paced, high-cost environment. This is in contrast to new/pre-existing yet effective design principals (when done right) which age much slower than specs do - therefore prices can be controlled or be higher for longer. To uninitiated consumers (huge %) price can cheapen a brand...especially, when it's cheap. There's a reason Coke outsells Tesco value cola lol.

A good example here is seeing how Zelda/Mario adventures remain at RRP for long periods of time.

Yet as design is so important in this approach, it has to be done well (or the brand is at risk and the house is at risk! - that's probably why Nintendo have put some damaged brands on gardening leave).

Steve jobs retuned to Apple and got them to focus on what they originally did. Nintendo haven't lost track that they make games. Thus they are still relevant.

However, what I would say is that Nintendo (like Apple) are at risk of confusing the market with their Wii And DS redubs. Ironically, you could argue Apple are in a similar (worse?) predicament with their annual rebrands including iPad2, New iPad, iPad4, iPad Air, iPhone 5c etc.

Yet in the end, both will be fine due to brand strength from their design / quality ethos.

Edited by tapedeck

In other WII U related CONSOLE news, has anyone preordered the sexy Mario and Luigi wii remotes?! They're showing as having a release date of Tuesday... Which is odd, but I haven't decided if I want to pay 40 quid for one yet! It seems silly when I can get Wii Play U or whatever it is and get a remote bundled in for free! But they look sooooo sweet.

Anyone planning on buying one? Or both?!

I'm hoping to buy both eventually, I'm a sucker for Nintendo themed peripherals. At the moment I only have Mario pre-ordered.

I've ordered the Mario one from 365 Games for £37, but it's a pound cheaper from Hitari who I've never used.

didn't we have a wiiu hard drive thread?i can't find it....

anyway i've been clearing out stuff and found i have a spare 7200 rpm 3.5 seagate 200gb hard drive in a box i've obviously not used for a long time, and i was wondering could i use it in a caddy with my WiiU, i can't find a decent answer online

Yahoo Games Lists The 5 Best And 5 Worst Console Launches

Yahoo Games have taken the opportunity to list which console launches were the best, and which were genuinely the worst. Unsurprisingly, Nintendo latest home console, Wii U, was listed as one of the worst console launches of all-time along with the Phillips CDi and the Panasonic 3DO. However, the Wii, the Nintendo Entertainment System and the Super Nintendo were listed as the best console launches of all-time. Here’s the list.

Best console launches:

1. NES
  2. SNES
  3. Dreamcast
  4. Xbox
  5. Wii

Worst console launches:

1. Intellivison
  2. Phillips CDi
  3. 3DO
  4. Playstation 3
  5. Wii U

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/11/09/yahoo-games-lists-the-5-best-and-5-worst-console-launches/

That's good publicity, just what the Wii U needs.

Well going by that list the PS3 had a worse luanch but Sony turned that around... :heh:

At this stage I'll be happy with 1st party games and support as good as the Gamecube days. The difference between Wii U and PS3 is that Sony never lost 3rd party support through their troubles. I don't think Wii U will get it back, if anything it'll get worse if that's even possible.

^ On the flip-side... who goes to 'Yahoo Games' for their gaming news? :rolleyes:

I don't know, casuals maybe.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Went into GAME today (was gonna pick up Sonic but have decided to wait out for a better deal) and things are looking worse than before :(

Huge signs and pre-order boxes for PS4 and XBOX One. The left is all green for Xbox One and right all blue with Playstation logo's everywhere. Through the middle is a load of Call of Duty stuff and then hidden on one shelf is the Wii U. Far worse than the GameCube days. I know shelf space isn't everything, but it really doesn't give the Wii U a good image.

Yeah my game has this aswell

First Party was good on the Gamecube, but 3rd party exclusives probably gave it the magic dust, the likes of Resi 4, Viewtiful Joe, Star Wars series, Monkey Ball, Tales of Symphonia, Billy Hatcher, Geist, Twin Snakes, Skies of Arcadia

They might not all be massive sellers but they set the console apart and make it feel special.

If only a couple of third parties stick by the Wii U I do think the console will feel it.

In the past I've bought a lot of first Party content on my Nintendo consoles, but they don't always do it for me nowadays. You sometimes need that something else.

Edited by Retro_Link

we has some friends over on Saturday, all the kids were playing the Wii U and of course the adults joined in. They all loved it, and then asked "what is it?"

I was truly stunned that people just don't know it even exists. On the plus side I guess it showed that the Wii U has that Wii factor, so Nintendo just need to market the hell out of it, because this Christmas is shit or bust.

we has some friends over on Saturday, all the kids were playing the Wii U and of course the adults joined in. They all loved it, and then asked "what is it?"

I was truly stunned that people just don't know it even exists. On the plus side I guess it showed that the Wii U has that Wii factor, so Nintendo just need to market the hell out of it, because this Christmas is shit or bust.

It really is something that people do enjoy when they get their hands on it.

Several friends were all against it, got their hands on it, and now are owners.