Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Final Fantasy XV

Hero-of-Time

Did you enjoy turn-based battles? If so, would you say this battle system is as accessible and addictive? And how different is it from FF13's system, because I absolutely loathed that crap.

I freaking love turn-based battles.

Can't say much about FFXV's battle system, though, as I don't know how complex it will be in the final release.

In the demo it was basically limited to "attack", "dodge" and "fire-magic" (for the final battle). It played like a really toned down Devil May Cry. It was great, as you have to manage your health, time your magic and attacks while dodging the enemy.

I'm hoping for a much more complex system in the full version, though. But I'm sure it'll be varied with elements, status effects, weapons, armor, summons, party management, etc. : peace:

Hmmm what was the demo supposed to show? I loved the boss battle at the end but leading up to that seemed like a really basic platformer collecting these orbs. I didn't quite know what to make of it to be honest.

The music and graphics though!!!!! Wow!

Hmmm what was the demo supposed to show? I loved the boss battle at the end but leading up to that seemed like a really basic platformer collecting these orbs. I didn't quite know what to make of it to be honest.

The music and graphics though!!!!! Wow!

The demo was really just to show off what the game can do. That's why they are switches that can change the time of day or weather, as well as the blocks that you can hit with your car. The same goes for the Meteor weapon. All of these are just to show off the lighting, partical effects etc.

If you want a meatier demo with more combat then you should pick up Final Fantasy Type-0. I really loved the game and you can pick it up for less than a tenner now. It's quite a snappy JRPG as well. I think you can beat it in around 20 hours, if not less.

The demo was really just to show off what the game can do. That's why they are switches that can change the time of day or weather, as well as the blocks that you can hit with your car. The same goes for the Meteor weapon. All of these are just to show off the lighting, partical effects etc.

If you want a meatier demo with more combat then you should pick up Final Fantasy Type-0. I really loved the game and you can pick it up for less than a tenner now. It's quite a snappy JRPG as well. I think you can beat it in around 20 hours, if not less.

Nice one, thanks Hero. I may pick up FF Type-0 then.

So am I right in thinking the running around collecting orbs will not form part of the gameplay in the proper game? I was kind of expecting a traditional FF but not turn based or something like xenoblade if im being honest.

Nice one, thanks Hero. I may pick up FF Type-0 then.

So am I right in thinking the running around collecting orbs will not form part of the gameplay in the proper game? I was kind of expecting a traditional FF but not turn based or something like xenoblade if im being honest.

Yeah, I think that was just for this tech demo. Probably to give you something to do while you were messing with the game engine.

The main game looks to be like Xenoblade, except not ugly. :D The battle system is easy to pick up but difficult to master. It plays a lot like Kingdom Hearts but with more depth. Saying that, KH battle system had plenty going for it. Those who say you could mash the buttons to win clearly never played it on the higher difficulties.

I'll give the Type-0 demo another shot over the weekend. I never played it after they updated it.

Also...

giphy.gif

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Yeah the demo was just disappointing and a bit dull apart from the boss fight at the end. Combat as the kid was boring. Also I wanted to keep moving the camera away from the kid, it was far too close!

Also a dream sequence? Erm okay

Game does look beautiful and the sound track is great though. The demo has put a downer on my enthusiasm for the game now but I trust what Hero said and that this demo was not a representation of the proper game.

Edited by Blade

Really? I thought the job shifting was fantastic. It really came into its own during the post game content and chasing the trophies/achievements. It's very much an extension of the dress sphere system from FFX-2, which I also enjoyed.

I dunno man, the system in 13 just felt so 'loose' - like I didn't have full control. Funny enough, I though X-2's system was the perfect fight system for the series, turn-based but speedy.

I freaking love turn-based battles.

Can't say much about FFXV's battle system, though, as I don't know how complex it will be in the final release.

In the demo it was basically limited to "attack", "dodge" and "fire-magic" (for the final battle). It played like a really toned down Devil May Cry. It was great, as you have to manage your health, time your magic and attacks while dodging the enemy.

I'm hoping for a much more complex system in the full version, though. But I'm sure it'll be varied with elements, status effects, weapons, armor, summons, party management, etc. : peace:

Battling in FFs pretty much means everything to me and has an equal weighting with the story. I'm just hoping battles don't get all hack'n slashy and is a bit technical.

Demo was fun :) looked lovely. I found combat a bit fiddly, especially on the boss. I couldn't understand why dodge worked sometimes but not others, why dash worked sometimes but not others, well I'm sure I'd get used to it eventually.

2 words for you, Rainbow Moon!

Over 100 hours in and still not finished it!

I bought this way back when it was released on PS3. Not using the PS3 anymore, though and I don't want to pay again for a Vita version. So I'll wait for a discount.

Not being negative at all, but I've never played a Final Fantasy game so bear with me. I watched a clip of the XV conference and the whole thing just confused me - the world of Final Fantasy just seems totally bananas. Riding chocobos, driving cars and fighting gigantic creatures. Is it just me or is the world of FF a bit confused?

I'm pretty tempted to get the Final Fantasy 7 remake but if it resembles what i've seen of XV, it might go over my head.

Not being negative at all, but I've never played a Final Fantasy game so bear with me. I watched a clip of the XV conference and the whole thing just confused me - the world of Final Fantasy just seems totally bananas. Riding chocobos, driving cars and fighting gigantic creatures. Is it just me or is the world of FF a bit confused?

I'm pretty tempted to get the Final Fantasy 7 remake but if it resembles what i've seen of XV, it might go over my head.

The game us called Final Fantasy. The world is a fantasy one, with magic, giant bosses, crazy beasts to summon and an ever changing battle/level up system.

The game us called Final Fantasy. The world is a fantasy one, with magic, giant bosses, crazy beasts to summon and an ever changing battle/level up system.

Hey man, video games is serious stuff. I still can't play Mario because it doesn't make sense that he gets big when he eats a mushroom!

But really @killthenet, the rule of thumb in Final Fantasy is rule of cool. If it seems fun or cool or looks good, they'll do it. I think as early as FF6 guys with swords were killing guys in mech armor. Shit Sabin suplexes a train.

Rule of cool has gotten a bit looser with some releases and can be just silly.

Demo was too short. Loved it though.

I never completed the original demo, but enjoyed that as well. I do think I prefer this more DMCesque gameplay where switching weapons on the fly is possible as opposed to the previous method of putting weapons in an attack order.

I will say this demo is a HORRIBLE representation of how battles should work. I got stomped the first time on the boss because other than O to attack I stumbled through relearning bits that I learned in the original demo. Respawned the Iron Giant and slaughtered him.

I downloaded the demo for this and loved what I saw. It looks beautiful, the music was fantastic and I just had a good time playing it. I'm looking forward to the full release. Count me in. :D

Good to see you enjoyed it and are on board. : peace:

I will say this demo is a HORRIBLE representation of how battles should work. I got stomped the first time on the boss because other than O to attack I stumbled through relearning bits that I learned in the original demo. Respawned the Iron Giant and slaughtered him.

Yeah, the original demo has quite an in depth tutorial about how the battle system works, but in this you are just thrown in head first. Shame, as the battle does seem to be something very special and this second demo doesn't do a good job representing it.

I can't stop watching the trailer for the game. The music is perfect and the game looks beautiful. I went through the same thing when the FFXIII international trailer arrived back in 2010.

I actually bought the Echo album just so I could listen to My Hands while I was driving to work. :D

Apparently there's a hidden powerful weapon in the boss room on this demo. Might go back to look for this. :)

Ohhh interesting. I may have to have another crack at it myself.

Speaking of weapons, there are some preorder bonuses kicking about. @King_V will be pleased to hear that you can get Zidane's Mage Masher daggers if you preorder from Amazon.

So @Blade tells me that combat isn't turn-based. Given that I detest turn-based games and never enjoyed a FF game as a result, is it worth me checking this out?

I'd watch the trailers etc but I'm in work just now and can't. What's the battle system like?

Hey man, video games is serious stuff. I still can't play Mario because it doesn't make sense that he gets big when he eats a mushroom!

But really @killthenet, the rule of thumb in Final Fantasy is rule of cool. If it seems fun or cool or looks good, they'll do it. I think as early as FF6 guys with swords were killing guys in mech armor. Shit Sabin suplexes a train.

Rule of cool has gotten a bit looser with some releases and can be just silly.

It was the inclusion of cars that really confused me, just seems totally out of place with all the other stuff. For some reason, in my head trains make sense in fantasy worlds but cars don't.

Hmmmm was I missing something.

When I played the demo it seemed to consist of collecting orbs, changing the weather, some jumping about and mindless real time battles. It wasn't until the boss that I was enjoying it.

I wasn't impressed and did not find it fun. If the proper game involved collecting orbs and basic platforming then I will be disappointed.