NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Shame those morons can't recognise top quality gaming if it isn't a FPS, or doesn't have swearing/blood/guns/tanks/gritty realistic graphics.

This right here is exactly what's wrong with gaming.

Yeah it is, but to be fair it does happen on both sides. You also get the Nintendo fans claiming that the other consoles are just shooters etc.

Anyway I havent had a chance to play A Link Between Worlds yet as its on the list of possible Christmas presents this year so I couldnt buy it but from what I hear it would certainly deserve a game of the year award. Im looking forward to playing it and thats coming from someone who has never really embraced the Zelda games.

Yeah it is, but to be fair it does happen on both sides. You also get the Nintendo fans claiming that the other consoles are just shooters etc.

Indeed.

Luckily I play whatever takes my fancy across all consoles, so i'm impartial as they come. :D

We say this, but it was exactly the same a decade ago. It was the same in the Wii era, it was the same in the GameCube era. Probably the same in the N64 era, too. I can't comment on the SNES era or before that, but the internet has given a platform for many to express their views such as this.

We say that it's getting worse, but it's pretty much the same. There's just more exposure and more places where people can air their thoughts like that. Years ago it was on forums, before that it was magazines, and before that it was in the playground with your friends or kids in school. Now, it's all of the above, plus youtube, plus website comment sections, plus facebook, plus twitter.

You're right about the Wii, GameCube and N64, but I honestly think the SNES (and Megadrive) era was different. The PlayStation introduced the idea that some games/consoles were "cool" and others weren't. Before then, the only people who played games were the ones who were genuinely into gaming.

Anyway, A Link Between Worlds is a fantastic game and well deserves this award. One of the things I like most about it is that it proves Nintendo can still make a cracking Zelda (10/10 in my opinion). This award also shows that GameSpot is a very fair-minded site and if they've ever said less-than-complimentary things about other Zelda games, there was a good reason for it rather than them "trying to be controversial". When Nintendo makes a great Zelda, they'll acknowledge it.

You're right about the Wii, GameCube and N64, but I honestly think the SNES (and Megadrive) era was different. The PlayStation introduced the idea that some games/consoles were "cool" and others weren't. Before then, the only people who played games were the ones who were genuinely into gaming.

Completely agree about how the Playstation changed things.

GTA is amazing but I fully agree that A Link Between Worlds is a better game. GTA is too open to be considered a complete gaming experience if you get what I mean... it's more about the freedom and the multiplayer. LBW is a complete story and fantastic gameplay. It's just a better gaming experience I think.

GTA was decent enough, but its saving grace was the story. The gameplay was a bit hohum and around half the missions were just driving from A to B while characters talked about the situation.

In my eyes, at least, Zelda is a far greater game as I play games to play games, not for story.

Edited by Serebii

Finished this just now after two weeks of not playing it.

Disappointed with the last dungeon. :(

Anyway, don't really want to lay down my opinion, because I know it may spark another stupid discussion.

So I'll just say this: I'll sell it to a mate, because I have no intention of playing it again.

Sorry / nando / but it had already been decided that a mate buys the game from me, before you wrote that pm.

Please don't hate me :p

Edit: wtf, whenever I want to post a message mentioning nando (with @) it says the message is too short Oo Weird.

Finished this today. Still have a few things to collect but completed the main game.

As someone who played LTTP as a kid and still remembers many key moments as some of gaming's finest (thinking I was finishing the game when I got to the dark world and it was only just beginning, pulling the master sword, watching the credits roll and oh so many more), I thought this was a worthy sequel.

The puzzle design was all extremely tight. Nothing was obnoxiously over-hinted, the hand holding of recent times took a step back and the game was so much better for it.

The new wall mechanic was well used throughout the game and thankfully was never brushed aside or treated like a gimmick. It was a valuable addition and helped to freshen up the dungeons vs. Link to the past.

3D is used very well in the game, I'd say possibly the best use I've encountered on the system. It's hardly essential, but there's some moments where it definitely enhances the experience. Death mountain's massive lava chamber is a prime example.

Storyline was barely there, but what was in place seemed like a suitable set-up for a sequel...although perhaps I would've preferred if a certain someone was present in more than just body.

Anyway, there is one issue I have with the game though...and it's a pretty notable one. Why does it have to be so easy? Nintendo, I get it, you want games to be accessible. Fine, but the fact of the matter is that I don't think LTTP was ever held back by being a decent challenge. I don't think kids and parents ranted in fury about it and took their games back. They loved it. Although most of the puzzles are well designed, they're almost all self-contained within one room. There's no equivalent of the ice world block puzzle in LTTP for example, puzzles that required looking at the whole dungeon to solve. Also, boss fights are all far too easy. I died in a boss fight once I think. It was the Helmasaur King and it was only because it was the first dark world dungeon I challenged, I didn't have the pegasus boots yet and I didn't think to hide in the walls initially when he was rampaging. After that I rarely even came to half health in boss fights, including the finale.

So, great game as a whole and an incredibly nostalgic experience...just wish Nintendo wasn't afraid to make you suffer a bit. It's never going to be Dark Souls, but they should go back to at least their old difficulty standard.

EDIT: I believe my dungeon order was...

1. Eastern Palace

2. House of Gales

3. Tower of Hera

4. Dark Palace

5. Swamp Palace

6. Skull Woods

7. Thieves Town

8. Desert Palace

9. Ice Ruins

10. Turtle Rock

I didn't intentionally leave Turtle Rock for last, I just didn't realise it was down there as opposed to a new dungeon (like the House of Gales)

Edited by James McGeachie

Although most of the puzzles are well designed, they're almost all self-contained within one room. There's no equivalent of the ice world block puzzle in LTTP for example, puzzles that required looking at the whole dungeon to solve.

That's sadly been lacking since Wind Waker. Dungeons have pretty much consisted of moving from one self contained puzzle room to the next, with a couple of exceptions every so often.

That's the downside of this "choose your order" dungeon approach. Although it sounds good in practice, it offers little in the sense of a difficulty curve. The only reason someone may find a dungeon harder than you was that they probably went for it first and you tackled it later. Weapons pimped out.

Still don't know how to get into that bottom left room in the Dark Palace though. The tip Peeps mentioned didn't do anything/maybe he misunderstood my thing.

This was a really great game. I beat it a few days after release, and loved every moment about it. Well, except for the Ice Ruins, but come on. :p

I've called myself a fan of Zelda before, but I have to admit that I'd only beaten a few that I played. One of those that I never beat was ALttP. It was okay, but not really that gripping, it didn't suck me in. This game was different. I had fun the whole way through. It had nice graphics, smooth controls, and an interesting gameplay mechanic. The story was kind of generic, but the main villain was eccentric enough for it to somewhat make up for it. All in all, I'd say this is one of the better, if not the best LoZ game I've played,

I've literally just finished, what an ending! :D

Easily the best Zelda game I've played in a long time, Nintendo at their best. : peace:

GTA was decent enough, but its saving grace was the story. The gameplay was a bit hohum and around half the missions were just driving from A to B while characters talked about the situation.

In my eyes, at least, Zelda is a far greater game as I play games to play games, not for story.

The story was the saving grace? The story was worse than the gameplay imo, absolutely terrible.

Had 20+ streepasses since adding this game and not one single Zelda streetpass. How sad. I haven't even got my own brother's despite tagging him multiple times in the same house. I have a feeling he only talked to the old bloke and never set his character up. I'm guessing many people did that and just assumed street pass was now activated.

Thought I'd treat myself to this game for Christmas. I bought the download code off GAME, but the eShop is refusing to load. :(

Still don't know how to get into that bottom left room in the Dark Palace though. The tip Peeps mentioned didn't do anything/maybe he misunderstood my thing.

Wasn't me, bro :p

Looked back for you, are you on about here?

041-.png

Serebii replied to you before and he has it right (if this is where you're stuck anyway).

You have to bomb the lower switch and that flips the wall with the emblem thing on it... like so:

042c-.png

If that isn't what you're stuck with, this is a walkthrough for that dungeon

I'm just stopping by to say I really like A Link Between Worlds! My brother and I finished A Link To The Past on Wii U VC last week, so I started playing ALBW yesterday.

Edited by are1981

Wasn't me, bro :p

Looked back for you, are you on about here?

041-.png

Serebii replied to you before and he has it right (if this is where you're stuck anyway).

You have to bomb the lower switch and that flips the wall with the emblem thing on it... like so:

042c-.png

If that isn't what you're stuck with, this is a walkthrough for that dungeon

Noooo not that room. It's the room which has two orbs on either side and a tile which raises up and down constantly.

Consult this images:

darktwo_zps3d887ae0.jpg

And this room on the map with the chest:

Darkone_zpsbb226d88.jpg

Noooo not that room. It's the room which has two orbs on either side and a tile which raises up and down constantly.

Consult this images:

darktwo_zps3d887ae0.jpg

In that room, run under the platform when it's up. There's a door on the other side of it leading the the room next to it.

Don't remember exactly did you have to do anything before, but that's how it goes.

^It's not exactly a "door". Maybe that's enough of a clue for him. :P

I was so satisfied when I figured out how to get in there. It's just a shame they relegate most of the more difficult to access areas for optional items.

Quite a few times some of the rooms that required more thought to get into were just fairy rooms and I was like "Why?"

Edited by James McGeachie

I've only just done the first dungeon. But I just wanted to say how beautiful this game is.

That's the downside of this "choose your order" dungeon approach. Although it sounds good in practice, it offers little in the sense of a difficulty curve. The only reason someone may find a dungeon harder than you was that they probably went for it first and you tackled it later. Weapons pimped out.

Drop a bomb on the platform that rises and falls, but time it so the bomb goes off when the platform hits the bottom and it will blow up a hidden weak wall.

I found out by accident.

Right...after nearly 10 years, I finally got round to finishing Minish Cap today. I had it on my Ambassador downloads and never got round to completing it back in the day.

Now to fire up this sucker...

I'm a fucking moron. I played this for a little while when I first got it which was 3 weeks back, I finally get some time to play it properly. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get into Zora's Domain. I only forgot that you could turn into a painting which was needed to get there.

Jesus fucking Christ I'm going mental or something.