NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Looks cool, nice surprise. Loving the 3D perspective - very Mario 3D Land.

It's kind of weird how they're specifically making this a sequel to A Link to the Past when all the Zelda games are already so similar. I guess they want to cash in on people's nostalgia as usual. :p

I hope this is the same size and has the same amount of exploration as the old 2D games. As much as I liked the DS games, I really missed having a proper overworld.

Edit: Oh, it has the same overworld as A Link to the Past? I guess this started out as a remake, then.

Edited by Magnus

Very excited. Love how they're putting the 3D capabilities to good use. Man, these Nintendo Directs have been amazing.

It's a bit of a cop out how it's the same overworld as ALTTP, exploration will probably feel a bit empty if you know where everything is.

Still looks fun, I like the paper mode. And woohoo, the magic meter is back :) Not convinced by the top down visuals but hopefully they'll improve.

It's a bit of a cop out how it's the same overworld as ALTTP, exploration will probably feel a bit empty if you know where everything is.

Still looks fun, I like the paper mode. And woohoo, the magic meter is back :) Not convinced by the top down visuals but hopefully they'll improve.

The thing with ALTTP though is that it has two overworlds. Now do we get to explore them both or not. It could well be that the Lightworld is pretty much the same as before but the Darkworld/GoldenLand if it comes back is completely different. ALTTP was originally supposed to have 3 overworlds so maybe they could use the unused world as the basis for the new alternate world - if they have one of course. The Lightworld as it stands isn't very big really and there isn't much to explore in terms of caves and stuff really so if it all takes place in just that area, they will need to take some creative licencing with the existing world - they could completely redo the woods for example or Zora's Waterfall.

Also, that magic meter seemed to go down with even the use of the hammer and then it would automatically charge back up so it seems to act as a stamina bar for all secondary items as well as magic if it returns.

As I said in the other thread, the visuals look very much inspired by PH/St as much as they do ALTTP. Look at all them 45 degree angles they could have smoothed out and the fixed height walls... *shudders at memories of PH*.

One thing that did puzzle me was for all the talk of making use of the 3D to benefit the vertical height, every time Link stepped on one of them big jumping pads, he was being thrown up to platforms he couldn't even see. I would have thought there would be some indication to show you what was above you even if it was a faded/transparent overlay as you stood on the pad to help... unless it's completely automatic and they are only stair replacements in reality and their slanted position would suggest so.

Right now, I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic that that they a) won't screw this up, and b) won't crap on my childhood, and adulthood (given how often I still play it) memories of ALTTP. Unfortunately, Nintendo have sunk my interest in Zelda to an all time low with their past few entries and WW remake announcement so keeping the faith is proving tricky.

Edited by Captain Falcon

I think much of it will change, that they just base it on it. Much like when you return to Kanto in HGSS from FRLG...but moreso

I can scarcely believe it.

Visually it seems a bit soulless, but hopefully that will change in time. And yeah, rinse and repeat of an old world, but it was a great one and I'm sure there'll be a lot in there to discover. Regardless, it's just become a very anticipated title.

I just watched the footage on the 3DS after downloading the video from the eShop. Visually, I thought it looked awful :hmm:

A mix of stamina+magic meter sounds most likely. Using a hammer shouldn't use up magic power after all, but turning into a drawing would.

In the 3D trailer it showed levels below the floor Link was stood on as barely visible, I imagine you'll be able to see what's below but not necesarily what's above. It makes sense really, why should you be able to see what's above you?

Another alternate world would be very welcome, I guess we'll learn more at E3.

Much like when you return to Kanto in HGSS from FRLG

I have no idea what that means lol

Edited by Ronnie

A mix of stamina+magic meter sounds most likely. Using a hammer shouldn't use up magic power after all, but turning into a drawing would.

In the 3D trailer it showed levels below the floor Link was stood on as barely visible, I imagine you'll be able to see what's below but not necesarily what's above. It makes sense really, why should you be able to see what's above you?

Another alternate world would be very welcome, I guess we'll learn more at E3.

I have no idea what that means lol

He's talking about the Pokeymans. Serebii is all about the Pokeymans.

Heart Gold Soul Silver

Fire Red Leaf Green

Well, this is a strange feeling. I certainly gave a cheer when I first saw it - a new 2D Zelda! It's just that it doesn't look quite how I imagined one would look. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a combination of rendered 2D (for the characters) and polygons (for the environments), isn't it? It looks OK, but when you see what people like WayForward are doing with pixel art, I just think it could be a bit better.

I find the new "paper" mechanic too surreal to be believable, but that's just me.

Still, a new 2D Zelda is great news. The 2D ones do provide a different feel, like how the overworld and dungeons are built, lots more destroyable walls etc, so as long as this plays more like Link to the Past/Link's Awakening/Minish Cap than Phantom Hourglass, it should be fantastic.

Same world meant same place in the timeline to me, not the same overworld. Like how LA's took place in the same world.

Same world meant same place in the timeline to me, not the same overworld. Like how LA's took place in the same world.

They wouldn't say "While this game takes place in the world of ALTTP, it features a new storyline and entirely new dungeons"

if it was what you were suggesting, sadly.

It's called Link to the Past 2. That's the subtitle Japan used, ergo sequel, not alternate timeline

Edited by Retro_Link

A Link To The Past 2 will be a temporary title. It'll definitely get changed, I imagine.

As for this, it looks beautiful, imo. Loved ALTTP, and this will hopefully live up to those heights.

I got the same impression as @Ike as to what they meant by 'same world'.

Except the few bits they showed off of the overworld was identical right down to bush, stone and tree placements as the original.

The dungeon being shown has the color scheme of the Tower of Hera and 3DS trailer shows of Moldorm on the exact same room layout as it appears in ALTTP pretty much confirming it to be the same place but even if the rest of the layout has almost nothing in common.

Best news about this game for me (not being into the 2D Zelda's)...

Is that it isn't using the Wind Waker graphics engine, which we though was a direction the Handheld Zelda's might continue to go... it's actually a more of an Adult Link game.

Makes me more hopeful of a Wind Waker 2 on Wii U, with the remake acting as the intro for those new to the series! :D

It's a shame that it's only nostalgic stuff like this that does this to me, but this is the most excited I've been by a Nintendo announcement in years.

Probably since the Other M announcement actually...hopefully that's not a bad omen.

A Link To The Past 2 will be a temporary title. It'll definitely get changed, I imagine.

Well the original wasn't called A Link to the Past in Japan anyway so calling it that and slapping a 2 at the end isn't going to help matters over there.