N-Europe

Notable Things About Your Town/City

Cube

Moniaive....nothing really special, Alex Kapranos has a house here and the booze is cheap as hell, i suspect you'd be able to drink yourself to death on £30 here, not that i've tried, i usually black out around £20. Other than that? nothing, 2 pubs, a shop and a primary school, thats about it.

Sheffield...

£240 Million pound tram system that goes to about six stops

Only £240m, pfft. The Edinburgh Tram Project is currently looking at over £1bn and I believe that they've actually cancelled a phase of the project. Original cost was £375 so essentially that's a 300% increase. Absolute disgrace.

The cancelled Glasgow Airport Rail Link, something that would actually be incredibly useful (currently only way to get there is bus or taxi) would have cost a maximum of £210m.

The trams in Edinburgh aren't even needed! With the Commonwealth Games coming up and the influx of tourists they're going to be shocked when they turn up in Glasgow and have to get a horrible bus.

/rant

As for notable things about Glasgow. One of our most notable things is:

183d733e6a2d48294c0b390a03a99103.jpg

The Statue of Wellington that always has a cone on its head. The police have stopped taking it down because another one always goes back up so quickly.

finnieston_crane_glasgow7217s.jpg

The Finnieston Crane, a relic and now landmark from Glasgow's ship building heritage. Behind the crane you can see the Armadillo, a concert hall. Behind that again is the SECC. A new build is the...

The+HydroGlasgow.jpg

The Hydro (artists impression). A new venue that looks incredibly cool, due to open end of this year. I drive past it every year and it looks far from complete.

We also have 3 massive football stadiums; Hampden (Scottish National Team), Celtic Park and Ibrox (Rangers).

kelvingrove.jpg

Kelvingrove Art Gallery is one of the coolest museums about and the most visited museum outside London. There are so many cool exhibits in it, dinosaurs, a Spitfire and Christ of Saint John on the Cross by Salvadore Dali.

One more thing!

The Glasgow Subway

The 3rd oldest metro system in the world after the London Underground and the Budapest Metro. Known to some as the 'Clockwork Orange', there are 15 stops that span the city centre and west end (there have been plans in place to expand to the east and south but seem infeasible).

GlasgowSubwayGreenLane1.jpg

It's currently going under its first major revamp since the 60s. A common "day out" is a "Sub Crawl". You get an all-day ticket, get off at every stop and have a drink in the first pub you come to.

Edited by Charlie

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brattvåg. Nothing too remarkable here, at least not on the grand scale. Known locally for the maritime industry and the place where it always rains very very locally. Founded on very easy-to-remember date of 11.11.1911 and settled 12.02.1912. Wiki says 2181 inhabitans as of 2009 but there should be more now with the heavy increase of immigrant workers. The nature is fine with lots of places to take a walk, sports hall and fields, bowling, cinema, high school, small shopping centre. But no place to go out, only place really is the bowling hall as they serve alcohol there.

brattvaringg1_zps4a81644c.jpg

brattvaringg2_zpsead2a3d2.jpg

(only the right side)

CIMG0267.jpg

CIMG0290.jpg

CIMG0291.jpg

Not really anything of note about my hometown, Glenrothes. Initially designed/proposed in the late 40's/50's as one of the post war new towns to help with the mining industry, which dried up a few decades later. Which probably explains why most of the houses in the centre of town and the shopping centre itself look as though it's stuck in a time warp from the 1970s.

It's the administrative capital of Fife, according to Wikipedia. No one famous has lived here, from what I can gather. Has some nice sculptures though.

ex-terra-vis-21225849.jpg

glenrothes-giant-_-irises_700_0.jpg

Its won awards such as 'Beautiful Scotland' and 'Britain in Bloom' apparently for the quality of its parks and landscaping. Not quite sure how it managed that as there isn't really any landscaping to note (other than the town park being in the deepest part of the valley as the town sits in a former river valley) and personally I'd be frightened to walk through the parks during the day nevermind at night.

Conversely to winning those awards, though, my town did win the Carbuncle Award, aka the plook on a plinth (or is it plonk? I can't remember), back in 2009 for being the most dismal town architecturally in Scotland that year. So :yay: Do agree, although how Cumbernauld doesn't pick up that award every year I have no idea.

IMG_3271rw1.jpg

oldpier.jpg

Everyone famous has lived in brighton. Honest.

Chris eubanks used to drive around town in his lorry thing, as seen here when he 'famously' blocked downing street with it. Strangely enough, it's not been seen 'round here since.

610x.jpg

Luton. Famously known for being one of the UK's biggest shit holes, although most areas aren't that bad.

I live just down the road from Luton, and everyone I know from their uses the same phrase to describe it. Is "Not that bad" the town's motto or something?

Either way, it's a lie. :wink:

I kid, Luton actually isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, it's ugly, and I wouldn't piss on the Marsh Farm estate if it was on fire, but it's the nearest place to me with anything resembling nightlife and at a fraction of the cost of London. Indeed, it's the cheapest place to drink in the South East by a mile. Oh, and it's well connected: M1, fast Midland Mainline trains to the North or London, and a muther-fuckin' airport. Nice, Berlin or Amsterdam for £45 is hard to argue with.

That said, it's the one place I've been bottled, and, of all the places I've traveled to or lived in, it's by far the least safe I've felt in.

Thamesmead, South East London.

Built in the 60's and 70's as a futuristic town to create better community and ease hosing issues in South London. It's now known as little Lagos and London's number one place for fraud (gone well). It's the last London postcode in the South East - SE28 before moving into Kent. Built on marshland and on the banks of the River Thames looking over to Beckton. We are split over to boroughs. Greenwich and Bexley. Neither do anything well. Labour stronghold. We don't have a train station, we have to go to the next town Abbey Wood but we do have a lot of buses including a night bus - N1 which takes an hour to get up town to Tottenham Court Road.

Also known for:

Grey buildings

Tower blocks

Man made lakes

Canals

Parks

Famous Heron

Chavs

Morrisons

Elevated roundabout

Roundabouts in general (learners everywhere)

The A bridge

9 hole golf course lulz

The boiler house (now knocked down :()

Stella English (apprentice winner)

Clockwork Orange

Misfits (TV show)

Not far from where Rummy lives as it goes.

Well I class my home as London now and there's plenty there. My specific location in London is famous for being full of douchey dickhead hipsters.

Home town is pretty unremarkable. The inventor of the postage stamp lived there, then nothing happened until I was born. Or at least that's how I recall it.

I live just down the road from Luton, and everyone I know from their uses the same phrase to describe it. Is "Not that bad" the town's motto or something?

Either way, it's a lie. :wink:

I kid, Luton actually isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, it's ugly, and I wouldn't piss on the Marsh Farm estate if it was on fire, but it's the nearest place to me with anything resembling nightlife and at a fraction of the cost of London. Indeed, it's the cheapest place to drink in the South East by a mile. Oh, and it's well connected: M1, fast Midland Mainline trains to the North or London, and a muther-fuckin' airport. Nice, Berlin or Amsterdam for £45 is hard to argue with.

That said, it's the one place I've been bottled, and, of all the places I've traveled to or lived in, it's by far the least safe I've felt in.

I'd say on the whole that's a fair assessment. Town isn't safe at night, lived here all my life and don't enjoy it that much. I live not too far from the airport so it's one of the quieter/nicer areas don't see a lot of trouble this end.

Edited by Ramar

JRR Tolkein stayed here for a while during the time his wife was ill. A friend of my mum actually has a signed copy of Lord of the Rings

Christian Bale went to school here too.

It used to be a town for old people to come to in order to heal, but has become a young person town.

Bournemouth University isn't actually in Bournemouth

Oh, and it's seemingly the place in the UK for Pokémon. The magazine Pocket World is written here, the owner of the most popular fansite in the world lives here, and one of the UK TCG champions live here

Edited by Serebii

Sheffield...

Seven hills

Five rivers

Greenest City

Def Leppard

Arctic Monkeys

Joe Cocker

Jarvis Cocker

Cutlery/Steel

Hendersons relish

The Full Monty

Snooker

Sean Bean

Students everywhere

Pot holes

£240 Million pound tram system that goes to about six stops

People getting shot

Just posting to confirm the above.

Also Jess Ennis needs adding to that list there.

Like to emphasise Sean Bean and add the most important thing about Sheffield..

...Sheffield United :grin:

So Kyle Walker needs adding to the list aswell. Sheffield United fan, academy graduate and player. Now playing for England and Spurs

You may be wondering "surely there is something shit there"

You would be correct!

Sheffield Wednesday/Hillsborough stadium. Full of dirty stinky pigs. Avoid

Anything you would like to add @lostmario to this list of Sheffield's wonderful attributes?

Edited by Blade

Oh, and it's seemingly the place in the UK for Pokémon. The magazine Pocket World is written here, the owner of the most popular fansite in the world lives here, and one of the UK TCG champions live here

You live near Liam Pomfret?

Bournemouth is just London-lite for cheap people, that's why the magazine is there. It's like Brighton, Cambridge and Guildford, the only reason gaming places pop up around there is it's close enough to commute into when necessary.

tl;dr LONDON!

What's that I hear about Luton not being that bad? I fucking hate the place, but my home town isn't any better..

Hemel Hempstead: Home to which was supposedly the largest explosion in peace time Europe (slept through it, whether or not that was true), and known by Soccer AM as "that town with the funny roundabout".

magicrb.jpg

depot-fire-460_998645c.jpg

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, it is not part of Britain.

What he said wasn't controversial as much as it was wrong.

You competely misread my post. I said he was "British" I did not say he was from Britain. When someone is from the UK their nationality is British.

I know the difference between the United Kingdom and Great Britain.