N-Europe

The 'Other' Wii U Thread

Daft

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it also likely change the language and whatnot too? Whilst it sounds silly at first, it does make pretty good sense.

Yeah, it would do.

It's easy to forget that the Gamepad does have it's own simple CPU/GPU/Internal memory and Firmware when you consider that the Wii U console generates all the Gamepad images; but it does have all these things and that needs to all work properly when you install new firmware.

It's the same reason as why you can't install Japanese firmware on an EU Wii/DSi/PS3 etc.

Yeah, it would do.

It's easy to forget that the Gamepad does have it's own simple CPU/GPU/Internal memory and Firmware when you consider that the Wii U console generates all the Gamepad images; but it does have all these things and that needs to all work properly when you install new firmware.

It's the same reason as why you can't install Japanese firmware on an EU Wii/DSi/PS3 etc.

To my mind the comparison of routers/wireless adapters with different hardware revisions(sometimes region based) springs up, so really I don't see this as a big 'thing'. Not to mention the actual likelihood of occurrence, how many people are going to have cross gamepads/consoles? Especially considering it only even supports two anyway?

Don't get me at all wrong though, I'm totally with Daft here. Region-locking is stupid, outdated, and should be done away with. It annoys me immensely that it still happens especially when other territories get stuff we don't, or if simple region/release date politics are involved(such as with Super Scribblenauts).

To my mind the comparison of routers/wireless adapters with different hardware revisions(sometimes region based) springs up, so really I don't see this as a big 'thing'. Not to mention the actual likelihood of occurrence, how many people are going to have cross gamepads/consoles? Especially considering it only even supports two anyway?

Don't get me at all wrong though, I'm totally with Daft here. Region-locking is stupid, outdated, and should be done away with. It annoys me immensely that it still happens especially when other territories get stuff we don't, or if simple region/release date politics are involved(such as with Super Scribblenauts).

But it's not actually region locked! You can use a US Gamepad on an EU machine just fine, just not while you're doing a system update!

• 4 weeks later...

In terms of the games announced today, they aren't great in terms of what I myself like to play...

I didn't play Xenoblade, I'm not a huge RPG fan, although the new one looks very nice, one to watch!

Wind Waker HD is nice, but I'm not sure I'd buy it over brand new games I'm yet to play.

Epic Yarn I didn't buy because I heard it was very easy. Hopefully the Yoshi version will be better here.

The Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem game just isn't my cup of tea.

Wii Party U, well it could be fun, but yeah.

---

Still the games are coming... Mario Kart and Smash Bros I'll most likely buy.

But can't wait to see what Retro Studios are working on as that will be a really huge influence for me in terms of when I buy the console!

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same.

Noticed the Virtual Console is a massive fucking joke, though. I honestly can't believe Nintendo have the nerve to force you to re-buy your downloaded games.

Serebii says that if you're transferring games over you don't have to pay again, you only do to get the updated version for Gamepad play. But still that should really be a free feature.

They need to announce N64/Gamecube games.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same.

Noticed the Virtual Console is a massive fucking joke, though. I honestly can't believe Nintendo have the nerve to force you to re-buy your downloaded games.

I think it makes sense to pay for those GamePad-features. Sure, free of charge would be prefered but if you've installed the games already from Wii, you only have to pay $1 to get the new features for NES games and $1.5 for SNES. So at least it's much cheaper (4-5 vs. 5-7 if I recall correctly).

Yeah, this really annoyed me.

It may be £1-£1.50 per game but when you have 20 odd it adds up quickly.

I shows a lack of vision/direction on Nintendos part. People can say what they want about Sony, but being able to buy PSOne games and play them on your PS3, Vita and PSP at no additional cost is an amazing feature, one which Nintendo should have copied for the Wii U and 3DS.

I think a big problem is that they still haven't got a unified account system.

I'll never understand why Nintendo fans are happy buying the same game again but with HD graphics. I'd be pissed.

its not exactly just nintendo fans is it now? we have Assasin's Creed HD packs, MGS, HD packs, Prince of persia HD packs etc etc

people like playing old games that they loved, but nobody likes how some look on modern TV's

I shows a lack of vision/direction on Nintendos part. People can say what they want about Sony, but being able to buy PSOne games and play them on your PS3, Vita and PSP at no additional cost is an amazing feature, one which Nintendo should have copied for the Wii U and 3DS.

It's nothing to do with accounts (the Wii U already detects whether or not you've already purchased it before), but rather it's an issue with the way that VC games are emulated on a per-game basis.

Each VC game has its own emulator written for it, unlike Sony's system where they just have a generic PS1 emulator that they dump games into.

The upside to Nintendo's method is that the emulation quality is 100% perfect and absolutely second to none (while Sony's games are littered with problems - Silent Hill's audio glitches, FF8's crashes on PSP and FF9`s slowdown on PS3 instantly spring to mind...)

The downside is that there's a lot more R&D and QA work that must go into each VC release and that each emulator has to be re-made for Wii U one by one.

The fee is a cover charge for the not insignificant cost of remaking each emulator. If you just want to play the VC games you already own on Wii U in Wii Mode, you can do that at no extra cost.

There's no realistic way they can make it free, unless you're suggesting that they settle for lesser quality emulation (which defeats the main selling point of the service...)

It's nothing to do with accounts (the Wii U already detects whether or not you've already purchased it before), but rather it's an issue with the way that VC games are emulated on a per-game basis.

Each VC game has its own emulator written for it, unlike Sony's system where they just have a generic PS1 emulator that they dump games into.

The upside to Nintendo's method is that the emulation quality is 100% perfect and absolutely second to none (while Sony's games are littered with problems - Silent Hill's audio glitches, FF8's crashes on PSP and FF9`s slowdown on PS3 instantly spring to mind...)

The downside is that there's a lot more R&D and QA work that must go into each VC release and that each emulator has to be re-made for Wii U one by one.

The fee is a cover charge for the not insignificant cost of remaking each emulator. If you just want to play the VC games you already own on Wii U in Wii Mode, you can do that at no extra cost.

There's no realistic way they can make it free, unless you're suggesting that they settle for lesser quality emulation (which defeats the main selling point of the service...)

Eh? Played though FFVIII last year and had no issues with it.

Personally I think it's a barmy way to go about doing things if that is the case. You are asking customers to buy things over and over again, instead of being able to just switch it over from various machines.

I would rather they took the Sony route and have the odd hiccup over having to fork out more cash.

What in holy high heaven are you on about? According to Prophet Serebii you don't need to upgrade to the Wii U supported version and you can just play them as they were on the Wii...so, yeah, what? Where's the new individually crafted emulator coming from?

Yeah, I didn't think about it adding up. Probably best I only bought a few VC games.

its not exactly just nintendo fans is it now? we have Assasin's Creed HD packs, MGS, HD packs, Prince of persia HD packs etc etc

people like playing old games that they loved, but nobody likes how some look on modern TV's

Assassin's Creed HD packs? First time I've heard of this.

I think the difference is that these HD feel like extras, whereas in the case of Zelda it feels like Nintendo are throwing us a bone.

I'll never understand why Nintendo fans are happy buying the same game again but with HD graphics. I'd be pissed.

So far, Wind Waker is the only one, and the game is being entirely remade, not simply updated (they're even going to include extra content, though we don't know what yet)

Unless you're talking about the VC debate. In which case happiness is not the general feeling.