NEurope
Daft

The 'Other' Wii U Thread

Okay, so I kind of hate the Nintendo Board. I find it unwelcoming and almost impenetrable so I thought I'd set up a Wii U thread here for people who don't have a Nintendo console as their primary console but would like to talk about their Wii U, what they want to see from it. Also, from people who don't have a Wii U - what are you waiting for, what are your concerns.

I don't really know if this is allowed or if it will get scrapped by the mods but I thought it was worth a go. I'm not going to lie, I hated the Wii but the Wii U has fixed my primary gripe - it has a proper twin-stick controller.

@Hero\-of\-Time @ReZourceman

I guess I'll start with this thought. While Nintendo tactic of not announcing games outside of games that are on the horizon (roughly six months) makes sense, I think it was a massive mistake to do this with the Wii U at launch. It looks like not that much is in the pipeline and when we hit E3 next year we're going to have the PS3 and the 360's successors to gawk at along with their sizzler reels.

Hope this stays open. Wii U won't be my primary 2014 console (not expecting new systems from Sony and Microsoft until end of 2013) and I also find the Nintendo specific boards a bit uncomfortable, so it would be nice to avoid the recurring arguments and debates on whether or not Wii U has failed within a FEW WEEKS of release.

I'm glad the Wii U finally offers all the standard control configurations the Wii needed. The Wiimote was neat, but for hardware that was meant to make games more immersive it quite often ended up just feeling pointlessly frustrating. Even games like Mario Galaxy left me asking if it was ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to be controlling the game that way.

Edited by Guy

TBH, I don't even want a new Xbox or PlayStation. I'd be fine with the current consoles/PC for the next few years.

TBH, I don't even want a new Xbox or PlayStation. I'd be fine with the current consoles/PC for the next few years.

This. Although i need a new PC, and i suspect my Xbox will soon die and need replacing, i'm perfectly happy playing games on that. I dont think they necessarily need more processing power etc to make better games. Nothing has come out in tha past 6 months that suggest to me that they are running out of ideas and need new consoles, so i'm happy as i am.

Having siad that, if i were to consider buying the Wii U, i would need some seriously good games on the horizon, ones that i can't just buy on the Xbox. So a new Mario/Smash Bros/Something New to tempt me. Even if they did show up, i would probably wait for a price drop anyway. I can't afford a new console right now.

The industry needs it more than the consumers and developers I feel. Hope the industry gets out of the cycle of needing a new console to reignite sales.

As for the questions, i think it's very frustrating that Nintendo don't show videos and tease future games. I understand not the full blow outs but don't they realise how excited it gets gamers? So much so people still bang on about the Zelda demo they showed. It makes people doubt the machine and its future, plus it will paper over any bad press with the future looking bright.

Unless Nintendo are waiting for a bigger blowout at E3 to combat with MS and Sony show...

Unless Nintendo are waiting for a bigger blowout at E3 to combat with MS and Sony show...

Retro's game + Metroid + Zelda + 3D Mario.

Good thing about the Kinect, it's extended life of the Xbox by a few years which is giving the developers the time to max the potential the console currently has to give. I for one agree, a new Xbox isn't really needed at this moment in time. If one is due, i'd say late 2013/2014 for a new generation of Xbox/PS

But as the WiiU is only as powerful as these 2, no rush.

I'm with Cube and Dazzy the current Ps3 and Xbox are good enough really and any update will not have the leap most people are expecting, that said Nintendo did need the WiiU and are now in a position to adequately compete with this generation and potentially any next gen (assuming a 720 ps4 are unnecessarily on their way)

A year ago I'd have agreed but with Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed so clearly taxing the current crop of consoles I look forward to the next gen and I think them hitting at the end of next year is pretty spot on timing. I mean just look at Star War 1313, yes, I want that. To me, that is a clear jump in generation.

Starwars 1313 is the game I'm most excited about... Looks incredible. I even like the Force Unleashed games!

Retro's game + Metroid + Zelda + 3D Mario.

Don't forget the next game in the Wii Sports series.

To the casual gamer, that is bigger than all 4 of the above unfortunately.

I don't know how much of the same franchises I can take any more. I wish one company would have the bollocks to mix it up a bit.

What is SW 1313?!

I kind of desperately want a Wii U, but I want actual games for it. New Nintendo franchies, an F-Zero, a Donkey Kong. A 3D Mario.....mmmmm.

Totally. To me Pikmin was the last 'classic' IP Nintendo created and that was an age ago now. I mean if you look at the Top 50 games on the Wii Thread on the Nintendo board 6 out of the top 10 are either Mario or Zelda related. I think that is an utter joke.

What is SW 1313?!

Uncharted: Star Wars

Edited by Daft

I kind of desperately want a Wii U, but I want actual games for it. New Nintendo franchies, an F-Zero, a Donkey Kong. A 3D Mario.....mmmmm.
I imagine almost every N-European who doesn't currently own a Wii-U is in this boat. We want it, we just want it to be worth it first.

Great idea for a thread. People can come in here and be a skeptic without having their head smashed in lol. Personally as a lapsed fanboy I'm desperately looking a reason to get one as I don't see the point right now. The 3DS has only just started to become attractive as there is a finally something approaching a software library.

Personally I do feel slightly burned by the Wii. With the exception of Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 and Skyward Sword there was nothing else that was must have. Sure the Wii Sports days were cool at first but it soon became tired even within friend circles. There's a reason I jumped ship to PS3 as well because they were simply offering more games I was interested in.

Great idea for creating this thread, hopefully there'll be much less Serebii and other blind fanboys spamming in it.

E3 should be great this year, especially given that the majority of Nintendo's Dev teams have has he hardware for sometime. Hopefully we'll see some of SSB4, 3D Mario and Retro's new game.

The most disappointing thing about Nintendo these days is the god damn Virtual Console. The 3DS output has been horrifically slow and there was nothing at the launch of the Wii U. Give me 1080p Metroid Prime and Melee Nintendo!

Agreed on this being a good idea for a thread. Some of the opinions being banded around in the actual Wii U Thread by certain members (I don't need to name the main culprit as we all know who it is) as fact are beginning to grate with me, especially as some seem incapable of producing an objective opinion about Nintendo as a whole, never mind the Wii U.

Anyway, I'm probably one of many who has been burnt by Nintendo. The latter years of the Wii and especially the 3DS have made me question gaming with regards to Nintendo.

I do want a Wii U and at the moment, I'm holding out until MH3U before I consider picking one. But my biggest issue is the games.

I can understand not wanting to announce games too far in advance to avoid disappointment with delays but you can't, and shouldn't, stick to that mentality when launching a new console. Giving details on games coming within the first 3 months isn't enough for most people, particularly those who got carried along by the Wii phenomenon, to justify the amount of expenditure on a device which is strictly a games console (as opposed to a multi function device like a smartphone or tablet). And with several big titles coming in early 2013 that won't be hitting the Wii U, it's not going to help.

I'm also a little worried with regards to Nintendo's own franchises and them being able to bring them into not only the HD era but also matching modern standards. Mario, at least the 3D ones, will probably be fine as it is still the pinnacle for the platforming genre but Zelda... If they don't take on some of the modern changes that we've in games seen on the 360/PS3 it's going to feel very outdated (more so than Skyward Sword already felt). They could also do with some new solid IPs that can become new franchises for them.

There is going to be a HD Zelda game. A HD Mario Game (with all three dimensions). Probably a HD Metroid.

It's amazing that even after so many sequels, so many iterations and versions and new spins on old franchises, those few things will still be enough to sell me a console.

I'm definitely ready for the next Xbox/PlayStation (though my wallet isn't). BioWare had to carefully consider which NPCs to put in their levels so they wouldn't use too much of what precious memory they had to spare, Ubisoft struggled to fit the Assassin's Creed III single-player on one disc on the Xbox 360 and Hitman: Absolution had those awful tiny levels.

Though IO hasn't made a good game since Blood Money, so maybe they really are just that clueless.

I really don't see how people could want the current generation (ignoring Nintendo) to go on for several more years. The world doesn't need another three Assassin's Creed games that use the same graphics engine. I want to see what new possibilities the next generation brings, and you have to keep in mind that it'll take a while until we start to see any games that feel properly next-generation, so the sooner the consoles are out, the better.

I think it's a great thing for the next gen that this gen has gone on so long; I suspect that it won't take the couple years it took the 360 and to a much larger extent the PS3 because PCs are already there. Like I said Star Wars 1313 and also games like WatchDogs (The Phantom Pain too has more than a hint of more than this gen) are clearly a step above and just waiting for more horsepower and they should be good to go - maybe even for launch.

I could be totally wrong though.

I'm definitely ready for the next Xbox/PlayStation (though my wallet isn't). BioWare had to carefully consider which NPCs to put in their levels so they wouldn't use too much of what precious memory they had to spare, Ubisoft struggled to fit the Assassin's Creed III single-player on one disc on the Xbox 360 and Hitman: Absolution had those awful tiny levels.

Not to mention the infinite world of Minecraft becoming 128x128 blocks and the PS3 not having enough RAM to have any Skyrim DLC...

Also, and this is just my impatient side, I'd like to see consoles that are just a little bit faster, in the menu, in the options, in the log in and the install etc..

New Nintendo franchies

People always clamour for those. If Nintendo Land is not your thing, have you played Xenoblade yet?

Sorry, just a tiny gripe I have. That demand is thrown way too lightly