NEurope
ReZourceman

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

Tickets booked for Friday. I'm kinda looking forward to it. I just hope I get some kind of epic Superman scene. That's all I want from this. 
I snapped up Wonder Woman on bluray today. I've yet to see it and figured I'd watch it tomorrow in prep for this.
Mate, Supes is dead...

2 minutes ago, bob said:
54 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:
Tickets booked for Friday. I'm kinda looking forward to it. I just hope I get some kind of epic Superman scene. That's all I want from this. 
I snapped up Wonder Woman on bluray today. I've yet to see it and figured I'd watch it tomorrow in prep for this.

Mate, Supes is dead...

giphy.gif

I watched Wonder Woman last night and thought it was pretty poor. I fail to see why everyone raved on about it. I found it pretty boring, most the characters were just throw away and I don't think Gal is a strong enough actor to lead a film. I'd rather watch Man of Steel again, which is saying something considering how much I dislike that movie. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I watched Wonder Woman last night and thought it was pretty poor. I fail to see why everyone raved on about it. I found it pretty boring, most the characters were just throw away and I don't think Gal is a strong enough actor to lead a film. I'd rather watch Man of Steel again, which is saying something considering how much I dislike that movie. 

She has her strengths but I find the hoopla around Gal Gadot strange, she really isn't that good an actress, certainly not to pin a film on as the lead. But then box office for WW would say otherwise, so what do I know?

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I fail to see why everyone raved on about it.

Gal Gadot is sexy as fuck. That's why. :p

The movie was kinda lame, though.

Edited by drahkon

The first half of Wonder Woman was good. The second half descended into rubbish though.

She is charming and charismatic (if you ignore that political issue) and I think maybe people just appreciated that welcome break. Plus she loves ice cream.

Loved Justice League. I didn't get the epic moment I wanted but I still loved the movie.

I have no idea if it was due to Joss Whedon but the movie had a lighter tone to it and it's what's been missing for most of the DC movies.

The Flash and Aquaman steal the show. Both of them are fantastic and hilarious. In fact I think all of the cast were great, even Cyborg.

The CGI is still rough as hell. The main villain especially looks very ropey throughout the movie, as does Cyborg. It didn't really distract from the movie, though.

Given how rushed this whole thing has been, and the development hell it went through, I think they done a great job of packing a lot into the film in such a short space of time.

Spoiler

I wasn't a fan of how Superman was brought back into the film. It could have been a much more epic moment. Also, the whole ending of BvS where the dirt moves on the coffin now doesn't make sense because he actually was dead.

I thought it was abjectly awful for the most part. Sitting beside Man of Steel and Batman v Superman it's a jarringly antiseptic and 'safe' film. The music was awful, too.

And I can only lay the blame at Joss Whedon's door because clearly nothing in this film was as it was intended to be. I have no idea why Aquaman was even there. I loved Ezra Miller and Ray Fisher as Flash and Cyborg but they were just undone by this piece of shit film...why didn't we see Cyborg's accident? What happened to all the footage in the trailers with him? We don't learn anything about his mother or really see any of his loss. Half of this stuff is in the trailer, what the hell happened to it?!

And, I liked Flash, but why was he boiled down to ADHD-Man? We lost his backstory. Any semblance of Barry Allen's brain. There was meant talk about how he pieced together his suit using tach from NASA. But that was super glossed over. Instead, he's basically Impulse.

Also, Superman...was literally pointless. Wondy and Aquaman were handling Steppenwolf pretty well, if you ask me. Why was Superman actually needed? So he could turn up and pretend the last two films didn't happen – along with all their questions about power, determinism, innocence and culpability – and just fucking smile them away?

WHY WAS AQUAMAN EVEN IN THIS FUCKING FILM?

As for women in the movie, what the fuck am I watching? Did Wonder Woman actually come out this year or am I going crazy? Sure Wondy was great for the most part – except for that shitty Flash landing on her tits thing and her need to bring up Steve Trevor (instead on Antiope, who raised her like a mother in many respect and WHO WE SAW DIE IN WONDER WOMAN) – but fucking hell Lois without the (Super)man is just a shell of a woman. That's not Lois Lane. Lois Lane is a crusader.

What happened to the LotR-esque opening that was meant to happen, half the Greek Gods had speaking parts. Antiope was meant to be in this. Why does it take everyone to stop Steppenwolf but apparently just Superman? Zod makes Steppenwolf look like a useless shit. This is meant to be Darkseid's uncle. Darkseid Is. This is meant to be a destroyer of worlds, emissary of the anti-life. Darkseid Is. He is meant to exercise Darkseid's will. Darkseid is. Why not use Kalibak? Would have made much more sense.

This film is so basic it doesn't even have a fucking sub-plot. It's just one short, shit story. 

Terrible. Terrible fucking film. Looked terrible. And I don't mean the CGI, the shots and framing were terrible. The reshoots were all blatant. The ideas and weight from the previous films are gone. It's Superfriends: The Movie, and I hated it. I absolutely detest it.

It's a film that carries now weight or meanings. It's a film made for no one, about nothing.

It was everything I hate about the Disney Marvel films, and I actually adore these characters. I'd rather watch Sucker Punch than this crap again.

This film broke my heart.

Edited by Daft

You can't make $300 mil superhero movies appealing to the people who know what an Antiope is, you have to put silly Whedonesque witticisms in and bright colours and tight leather trousers. That's the only chance you have of making your money back. This is why Wonder Woman was a good film, and this was a reskinned Age of Ultron with worse actors.

It wasn't a great film, but it was better than that embarrassing mess that was BvS. It was at least coherent, had a structure. It felt like the comics in places (lets not pretend the source material is great these days) especially Batman at the beginning. Ezra Miller's acting was the only thing I couldn't really get on with at all. And 50% of the dialogue was atrocious.

In some ways it felt like a ten episode TV series squeezed into five.

On 22/11/2017 at 9:50 AM, Shorty said:

It was at least coherent, had a structure.

Did it though?

Spoiler

It started with this notion that the earth was worse off because of Superman's death and there was a shot of some presumably race-motivated aggravation and the terrorists and then this was never addressed until the end where the terrorists turn back up, although I am unsure if that is just a continuation of the original scene (in part because I forgot how that actually ends).  This idea that the world is essentially grieving and falling apart because of the lack of Superman is only expressed through an odd line of dialogue and used as justification for Steppenwolf. 

And then when he's back Superman is now fine with humanity?  I get the desire to get past angry Superman, but they could have done that by justifying why he was now fine with humanity.  Had they been trying to live by his ideals (because this is a jesus allegory after all) then it would have been one thing, but no they seemingly did nothing. Perhaps they were doing this, but because there was a lack of coherence or vision for that narrative idea - the one started in MoS - it got forgotten about.  Hell even Lois Lane just posted listicles now.  I'd get she'd be upset and grieving, but she'd be more determined to expose corruption and wrongdoing how she could in honour of Superman.  It was nice that she was still there for MARTHA (although that scene of them in her office was so cringe), but she was badly written and they need to stop wasting Amy Adams.  Plus I'm still disappointed we've not really had any interactions between her and WW.  If they wanted to lean into Diane still being upset about Steve, they could have at least acknowledged she shared that with Lois.

It all got a bit too Whedon tropey at times to the point where after they unmerge the boxes and Superman and Cyborg are shown lay down I half expected Superman to just say this:

tumblr_mzzfmvvEmN1r0pbyyo1_250.gif

It was fine and entertaining enough in the moment, but on reflection it lacked cojones and didn't have enough courage in its conviction.  It was played extremely safely and I get there were many problems with the previous films, but at least they were trying for something.  They were trying to explore this idea of super beings on earth, but this was just, as @Daft said, "Superfriends: The Movie".

Plus I am kind of disappointed that Arthur and Mera weren't an item.  I get why for him to be in that head space, but one of my favourite things is their marriage because its not something you see very often. 

So, saw this yesterday on a spur of the moment kinda thing. Went in with really low expectations and have to say that I enjoyed it. 

Is it brainless? Yup, it sure is. 

Is the plot linear? Definitely. It's basically just one straightforward story and is relatively simple, but it kinda works with the running time.

Is it too short? Most certainly.

Will it change the way superhero movies work in the future? Nope.

Is the dialogue a bit basic? Of course.

It's just a decent 7.5 (possibly 8 for some) out of 10 film. I found the characters and the action to be enjoyable enough to get something out of the film. It works in the sense that you have all of these heroes in the same film together for the first time doing something together. There's a few moments of potential with some interplay between characters. So, I think with the right director and (more importantly) with the right writer, there could be a great sequel there. I like the actors and the characters.

My main criticism is that the themes from Man of Steel and BvS kinda get discarded in this film. Man of Steel is still my favourite and is perhaps the most theme heavy of the series so far. All I'd want from a sequel is (aside from better writing and directing) more symbolism and a more deeper experience.

But, for a "popcorn flick", I liked it. Just wish that it was a bit longer.

On 22/11/2017 at 9:50 AM, Shorty said:

You can't make $300 mil superhero movies appealing to the people who know what an Antiope is, you have to put silly Whedonesque witticisms in and bright colours and tight leather trousers. That's the only chance you have of making your money back. This is why Wonder Woman was a good film, and this was a reskinned Age of Ultron with worse actors.

It wasn't a great film, but it was better than that embarrassing mess that was BvS. It was at least coherent, had a structure. It felt like the comics in places (lets not pretend the source material is great these days) especially Batman at the beginning. Ezra Miller's acting was the only thing I couldn't really get on with at all. And 50% of the dialogue was atrocious.

In some ways it felt like a ten episode TV series squeezed into five.

Ignoring the fact Antiope was meant to be in this film, it's not hard to imply her relation and importance to Diana without explaining who she was. Especially when the reason for bringing up loss is due to the loss of Cyborg's mother. Steve Trevor is such a tenuous link to loss it just makes Diana sound like 'Yeah, me too. I lost a person too. Deal with it (...if you can...but I'm a hypocrite because I can't, as w0t Batman said)' instead of relaying a modicum of empathy, 'I understand what it is like to lose a mother.' Especially as she is an Amazon, and from an island full of women. That her thoughts go straight to Steve is...weak sauce. Also, in terms of the movie-verse, if you know about Steve Trevor, you'd know about Antiope...who again, was meant to feature at the start of the film battling Steppenwolf.

And the comics are absolutely awesome at the moment. Especially since Rebirth. Rebirth, Doomsday Clock, Mister Miracle, Dark Knights Metal, White Knight; the quality of comics of the moment and the number of good titles is insane. We've not had it this good in decades (and even before Rebirth, Wonder Woman's run is maybe her best, Batman has been stellar for more than 5 years, and Darkseid War is absolutely brilliant). They put all these movies to shame. Everyone loves Ragnarok, Aaron's Thor run makes it look absolutely pedestrian and it's not a hard or complicated read by any means. 

Edited by Daft

On reflection, I'm really disappointed with the soundtrack and the lack of a Hans Zimmer-type of booming experience. It's really unmemorable and a bit dull. I felt that the characters had their theme tunes all sorted in Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman, so Justice League felt like a bit of a step back from that. I found Superman's themes to be quite uplifting, hopeful and fitting in with the present time. It acted as a good contrast to Batman's music. Bit concerned about that's going to work for future films. 

Not part of the movie universe but I dont think it particularly needs its own thread just yet. The first photo of Robin from the Titans tv show has been released and I think it looks alright.

gallery-1512170289-brenton.jpg

Looks like Robin from Arkham City. That's alright with me.

Didnt know about that show, could  be awesome. Is it live action or animated? Can't really tell from that still.

I don’t get the love for Wonder Woman... it was so bad!

• Like 1

I don’t get the love for Wonder Woman... it was so bad!
I wouldn't say it was a bad as Justice League or Suicide Squad, but yeah, it wasn't that good. The first half was excellent, but then it went seriously weird and crappy at the end. Really let the whole film down.

I kind of like the direction they're going with their new film.