N-Europe

Lateness

Grazza

Something's been bugging me recently: how people turn up late to events, without reason or apology. I've had a few social events recently where we've had a very clear start time, yet I'm the only one who was there on time. One time it took 30 minutes for everyone to turn up, more recently it took 45 minutes.

Then I went to what was meant to be a StreetPass event today, and no one turned up at all. Now, maybe they were late, maybe they never turned up, but I didn't have the time to find out.

My workmate tonight said "No one wants to be first". I just find it very disrespectful to the punctual people; the idea that it's OK for you to stand about waiting. Someone has to be first, as long as it's not them... Not only that, but maybe you don't have all day (or evening) like they might.

It bothers me that people think turning up late is normal and acceptable. Is it a generational thing? Now all the youngsters have mobile phones, they can arrange things on the go, rather than sticking to rigid timetables?

Hmm I don't know. I'm one of those people who would prefer to be somewhere early rather than late haha. I get really stressed and nervous when I have to be somewhere in time (this mostly refers to traveling) as I'm always afraid I might be too late.

With school I wasn't as punctual, usually arriving just in time or a few minutes before. But anything else I try to be there in time or quite a bit beforehand heh. I don't like it when people are late, it makes it look like they don't really care.

I agree - before mobiles, you arrived early because you didn't want to arrive late to find that people had come and left thinking you weren't coming.

I have a classic anecdote where there was this one friend who would near-daily arrive pretty much an hour late to social gatherings. It got to the point where I started telling her the metting time was an hour earlier than it actually was. It resulted in her arriving maybe 5 mins after the rest of us, profusely apologising about her tardiness!

I also hate it when people say "I'll be there in 5" in a text, and they're there in 15. I hate it when people say "oh I'm just leaving now" when they're still getting ready... Bleh. Mobile phones provide people with the chance to give excuses.

However! The typical reason people turn up late is because they don't want to arrive and be the only one there. I rarely have friends I can meet 'on the way' to places as I currently live in town where people hang out. hence, I'll ask them to text me when they're nearly there as it only takes literally 5 minutes to get to our regular haunts, and thus saves me the hassle of standing about in a pub like a tit for two hours waiting for them.

It always bugs me when people are late for the sake of being late, though.

Something's been bugging me recently: how people turn up late to events, without reason or apology. I've had a few social events recently where we've had a very clear start time, yet I'm the only one who was there on time. One time it took 30 minutes for everyone to turn up, more recently it took 45 minutes.

My workmate tonight said "No one wants to be first". I just find it very disrespectful to the punctual people; the idea that it's OK for you to stand about waiting. Someone has to be first, as long as it's not them... Not only that, but maybe you don't have all day (or evening) like they might.

It bothers me that people think turning up late is normal and acceptable. Is it a generational thing? Now all the youngsters have mobile phones, they can arrange things on the go, rather than sticking to rigid timetables?

To social gatherings, I use the term "fashionably late". For me this borders around the 10 minute mark, anything after that needs a damn good excuse.

But this if I'm on my own, if I meet up with a friend for pre-drinks for whatever reason [live nearby etc.] then I'll generally be on time.

I also hate it when people say "I'll be there in 5" in a text, and they're there in 15. I hate it when people say "oh I'm just leaving now" when they're still getting ready... Bleh. Mobile phones provide people with the chance to give excuses.

This pisses me off to the extreme. If they say "I'll be X mins" and are there within said timeframe, fair enough. But when you get inundated by a tsunami of bullshit that it starts to grate.

Case in point is my workmate on Saturday. Meant to start at 6:30, he always borders on being an hour late. Constantly complaining that the bus he gets always stops for ages at certain stops. I know buses do that, and he knows he has to get an early bus but the fucktard just doesn't bother. So I have to set up a petrol station by myself, supplements in papers and I get the jip from customers because the Telegraph hasn't had it's 30+ supplements in them yet.

Anyways, 20 mins late I get a text saying he'll be another 20 mins. This has happened for the past four weeks so I know it's bullshit. Turns up 40 mins later once again mentioning the buses as if it's the first time they've done it, I mention to him how our definitions of 20 minutes must differ. He spends the remainder of his shift, head in hands talking about how he overdid it at the gym two days ago and he's "bare knackered".

He's a mardy git anyway, not in the complaining sense like we all do here because we're amazing people, but in the moping sense, throwing stuff around as if he's trying to make a political statement. He says he's planning on getting a transfer, mainly made decisive by this encounter:

We have four people in, so Matt (the gent in question) and I get some transfers from the main store [Awesome glorified stealing, which is hampered by his stupid ability to shout "Do some work!" to every cashier. Even if they have a queue. Added by his perverted nature of following girls around and stare at their arses.] and put out the stock. Coworker Linda is on the phone for some work reason, Matt comes into the back and throws a crate on the floor, making one massive noise. Linda shouts at him. Matt goes into ultra-mope-mode and for some reason can't understand what he did wrong. By his reckoning, Linda wasn't on the phone, he put the crate down oh-so-quitely and she suddenly exploded at him.

He's also a smoker, which means he gets extra breaks apparently.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

This pisses me off to the extreme. If they say "I'll be X mins" and are there within said timeframe, fair enough. But when you get inundated by a tsunami of bullshit that it starts to grate.

It's just insulting to be lied to. I don't tell lies, so I don't expect others to. When someone lies to you, it's like they think you're stupid or not worth telling the truth to.

Another terrible excuse is (over the phone) "I'm just getting money out". This has been arranged for weeks! You should have got the money out ages ago! I'm sorry, but 7pm means 7pm and 8pm means 8pm.

Bring back National Service! :heh:

I'm know for being late, all the time. Most of the time because I severely overestimate how quickly I can get somewhere, sometimes because I meet up with some friends on the way and they're late, or just because I hate waiting. My friends know I'm like that so they've come to accept it. Most of them are late too anyway, most of the time.

I'm not normally late though when:

- I am meeting a single person.

- The event requires me to begin (bus, paintball etc.)

- They specifically request punctuality.

I'm virtually never late for a friend. Punctuality is next to godliness as far as I'm concerned.

Events are completely different. I'm always perfectly late. House parties, I'm always about an hour and a half to two hours late. It's just how things are done. People who turn up on time are weird.

Lateness annoys me. I never make a fuss about it, but inside I feel it's somewhat disrespectful to arrive late more than once to a particular location. The first time is ok: maybe you didn't know the exact travelling time, things happened on the way that you didn't prepare for, you got lost, whatever. Any time after that, you should be sensible and compensate for all possible causes of lateness. My nickname among my friends is Captain Punctual because I'm usually always the first one there...unless I get severely lost (I have next-to-no sense of direction, so I always allow time for that).

I think lateness is ok for parties or very informal/spontaneous gatherings like that (i.e. not birthday parties), aren't those designed for people to just walk into?

http://www.erinpavlina.com/blog/2010/12/the-high-cost-of-being-late/

http://www.zeldman.com/2010/02/05/free-advice-show-up-early/

My reputation is on the line. If I say I’m going to call at 1pm, you can be sure your phone will ring at 1pm. I know my clients appreciate it, and I know it raises their vibration knowing they can trust me.

Now... This is just me, but people being early/on time has never raised my vibration.

I hate it when my spirit guide doesn't call on time. I always start questioning why I was incarnated. :blank:

I like being on time as much as the next guy, but my dad takes it to extremes. If the drive takes twenty minutes, it's okay if we leave half an hour before we need to be somewhere to account for traffic. Yet he always want to leave as early as possible, leading to half an hour of waiting around for no reason.

Edited by Magnus

My reputation is on the line. If I say I’m going to call at 1pm, you can be sure your phone will ring at 1pm. I know my clients appreciate it, and I know it raises their vibration knowing they can trust me.

Now... This is just me, but people being early/on time has never raised my vibration.

What? I love having my vibration raised! What are you, a monster? :shakehead

Kidding. I didn't even spot that...I was looking for (and failed to find) a different one I've read before, and thought this one would have to do after skimming the general points.

I hate being late to things I should be on time for. And I refuse to abide lateness when there's no call.

However if I'm going to a party or something, I'll aim for half an hour later than start time. Meeting at pubs is a bit different. Depends on size of group/who it is. Fashionably late and everything. :p

It's always calculated lateness though, and I hate when people say they'll be somewhere then are actually like 'Oh no, I'll probably just meet you later at the club' or something. Like...why not just...be here now? I prepare for ages before I go anywhere mentally so I'm aware of my schedule/timings etc. I would never be purposely late if I knew it'd be awkward or annoying for who I'd be meeting.

Again that's socially. I'm usually early for all 'formal' things I have to be in at certain time for.

I have a classic anecdote where there was this one friend who would near-daily arrive pretty much an hour late to social gatherings. It got to the point where I started telling her the metting time was an hour earlier than it actually was. It resulted in her arriving maybe 5 mins after the rest of us, profusely apologising about her tardiness!

I have to do this with my father. He's terrible for time keeping.

I usually arrive early/on time for things. I will always try to anyway and if I am running late for whatever reason I'll let the person know. But I am often the one sitting around waiting for others.

I always say to my staff:if you can't turn up on time, don't turn up at all.

I have lost so many staff members in the last few years...

I hate this culture where its better to just call in sick than show up late.

Almost all of my co-workers abuse this to no end.

My point is: being late>being absent

I'm virtually never late for a friend. Punctuality is next to godliness as far as I'm concerned.

Events are completely different. I'm always perfectly late. House parties, I'm always about an hour and a half to two hours late. It's just how things are done. People who turn up on time are weird.

LOLYes.

I usually cruise in late and everyone's cool with that, so that's cool. Peeps need to lighten up about punctuality.

It's just the curse of being the event creator because you have to wait around like a gimp.

With that said I wouldn't want to make anyone late or upstage anyone.