NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

Just the usual moaning really. See a lot of Coyle out messages on Facebook but when we win, they're all very quiet. People get on his back on match day but not nearly as much as they did with Megson, who never really endeared himself to the fans.

Coyle has bought some poor players, some would say Championship players, but he hasn't been helped by the injuries to Chung Yong Lee and especially Stuart Holden.

Personally, I'm behind Coyle. Even if we go down we should not sack him.

Well A little late to the thread (by about 4 pages by the looks of things)

But I guess you have to say fair play to Chelsea and congratulations to them. Why battle for 4th place, when you can take the holy grail itself. Arsenal, Spurs & Newcastle must be slightly alarmed now.

The Final of 1999 against Bayern Munich will always be in my heart, though. I was in absolute tears until those two goals went in. Still get goosebumps watching that.

The SAS...

C_71_article_1464101_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg?04%2F11%2F2011%2011%3A23%3A28%3A607

teddy-sheringham_1384350c.jpg

Beautiful....

Well A little late to the thread (by about 4 pages by the looks of things)

Same here.

I was a Chelsea fan for the night and it was great seeing Barca done over at home by a 10 man squad, without their 2 main centre backs, it was was just fantastic. People can cry on about how Barca had the better posession, better chances etc. but at the end of the day if you can't put it in the back of the net then you ain't gonna win. As a Liverpool fan it's a pain I know all too well. :D

Do you think us 'regulars' ignore non regulars and supporters of lesser clubs? I can assure you I absolutely do not do that.

I don't watch any Championship or lower football, so i can't offer my opinion at all. When it's the 'big clubs', everyone kinda has an opinion on the matter, as they always have much more exposure.

Yep, I've lost count of the number of times I've posted about Portsmouth in this years thread only for my post to be completely ignored and its a shame. I've seen it happen to other people.

I think that's unfair we discuss more than the top teams. However it's far easier to have some banter/wind up with some users because 1) the team I support directly competes with theirs 2) I know they'll see the comment, reply and get stuck in.

I'm up for talking about any and all football, it just takes two to have a conversation/discussion.

I don't think that's all together true when Portsmouth were in the Premiership for 7 years I never got much banter in here when I posted stuff. I'm a member of the supporters form for Pompey but it's not the same when everyone has the same bias.

It's just very disheartening that this thread has almost become segregated in this way when the rest of the forum is not like that. You can go anywhere and post what you like and someone will pick it up. Just a lot of forums around the net all the threads are exactly what this thread is if that makes sense? That's why I like this forum above all else.

Geoff Shreeves is a dick (like we didn't know already)

Yes Geoff Shreeves is a prick you could tell Ivanovic was a little bit confused about it all as he was likely caught up in the moment. Shame for the lad he has been instrumental in their entire campaign.

It's just very disheartening that this thread has almost become segregated in this way when the rest of the forum is not like that. You can go anywhere and post what you like and someone will pick it up. Just a lot of forums around the net all the threads are exactly what this thread is if that makes sense? That's why I like this forum above all else.

I don't think it has. I think partly people don't reply to your messages about Pompey is because they don't know much about it and have nothing to add. That's certainly the case with me.

It's just very disheartening that this thread has almost become segregated in this way when the rest of the forum is not like that. You can go anywhere and post what you like and someone will pick it up.

Try posting in the music threads..

I don't think it has. I think partly people don't reply to your messages about Pompey is because they don't know much about it and have nothing to add. That's certainly the case with me.

I can see that I suppose. Like I said it's disheartening I'm not having a pop at all just that's how as someone not a fan of the top teams that's how I feel. Another thing I find very surprising is that people don't follow the Championship some cracking football gets played in that division, even when Portsmouth were flying high I'd still follow it.

Try posting in the music threads..

I learnt that lesson many years ago...

I can see that I suppose. Like I said it's disheartening I'm not having a pop at all just that's how as someone not a fan of the top teams that's how I feel. Another thing I find very surprising is that people don't follow the Championship some cracking football gets played in that division, even when Portsmouth were flying high I'd still follow it.

I think because we're such a small community it's always going to happen. The top teams tend to have more supporters and even people who don't support the top teams (like myself) are still able to talk about them and are interested in what's going on.

Proper conflict of emotions watching the match last night. I know I shouldn't want Chelsea to win because it ruins the 4th place CL spot we're currently competing for, but I couldn't help but be happy for them in the end, especially Torres. I remember the Benfica coach (along with, you know, everyone) saying Chelsea would get destroyed and it was generally very pleasing to see the underdog win in such a manner. Now just as long as we either get 3rd or Chelsea lose to Munich in the final (that's right I'm predicting them to go through), it'll all be ok...

As for this Gary Neville business, he's got nothing on this:

Yeah, i find the top 3 things that are guaranteed to make people act like a douchbag are:

3. Football

2. Music

1. Religion

Normally best to steer clear of these topics during a dinner party conversation.

That commentary video is amazing. He sounds like he was getting a blowjob off Dennis Bergkamp, while simultaneously having a heart attack.

Well here are an issue that kind of effects Portsmouth (if we get back out of League One) that I hope people will perhaps have stuff to add on.

Clubs promoted to the Premier League who have not met fair play guidelines will be subject to a specially implemented tax, under new rules released by the Football League on Wednesday.

From the beginning of next season, clubs in the Championship, League One and League Two will adopt a fresh financial fair play model based on Uefa guidelines.

Under the rules, clubs will be required to provide accounts to the Football League by 1 December each year highlighting whether they have stayed within limits on loss-making and shareholder equity investment.

Championship clubs will see permitted losses drop from an acceptable deviation of £4m in 2011-12 to £2m by 2015-16. The permitted level of shareholder equity investment will reduce from £8m for 2011-12 to £3m by 2015-16.

Sanctions for failure to meet these guidelines depend on whether the club was promoted, remained in the Championship or was relegated.

In the case of promotion, the club would have to pay a "Fair Play Tax" on the excess by which they failed to fulfil the fair play requirement, ranging from 1% on the first £100,000 to 100% on anything over £10m.

Any proceeds will be distributed equally among those clubs who complied with the regulations for the season in question. Clubs failing to meet the criteria but who remain in the Championship will be subject to a transfer embargo. Any side relegated from the Premier League will not be subject to sanctions in their first season in the Championship, as long as they have met their financial obligations under Premier League regulations.

The Football League has stressed, though, that clubs will not be subject to sanctions until the reporting period of season 2013-14 in order to give them a spell of "transition".

Greg Clarke, the chairman of the Football League, said: "On the pitch we have three exciting, competitive divisions with crowds at their highest levels for 50 years. But that success isn't necessarily being reflected on our clubs' balance sheets and we have to remedy that situation or face an uncertain future.

"I'd like to commend the Championship clubs for the courageous decision they have taken today. It means that for the first time, all 72 Football League clubs have agreed to take concerted action towards controlling their financial destiny.

"Whilst we cannot promise that these rules will deliver results overnight, they will begin to lay the foundations for a league of financially self-sustaining football clubs."

So for me. It basically means Portsmouth are not going to get back in Premier League anytime soon. The size of our debts and the repayments on this coupled with the poor capacity and condition of our stadium means we would never be able to generate the revenue realistically needed to compete for promotion. Unless we can afford to be chucking money away at this Tax.

Also where the hell is this Fair Play Tax going?

I can't say I agree with taxing clubs for not sticking to within their means. However I think it's clear that some clubs need their finances regulated and need a deterrent.

For most part Portsmouth is a bit of a special case because they've been let down by some shady owners, I don't know the ins and outs but I feel that the governing bodies should be looking at their Fit & Proper checks because obviously they've let Portsmouth down.

I can't say I agree with taxing clubs for not sticking to within their means. However I think it's clear that some clubs need their finances regulated and need a deterrent.

For most part Portsmouth is a bit of a special case because they've been let down by some shady owners, I don't know the ins and outs but I feel that the governing bodies should be looking at their Fit & Proper checks because obviously they've let Portsmouth down.

Yes the PL/FA have basically washed their hands of it by saying their procedures were met one of our owners Al Fajai didn't even exist...

Anyway it does weird to me how football does sit outside of the law almost. So many have outstanding bills as they don't pay them monthly the football creditors agreement means non-football companies don't get paid until last. HMRC are currently battling over Port Vale who owe them are apparently tried to settle the bill at just £3.14!!!!!! The bill was for £189,965! They then come up with a second offer of just £5000. Rangers owe £9 million in unpaid taxes!!!

I know obviously other companies try to avoid paying taxes but hell our hard earned taxed income helps fund clubs...

Football needs fucking sorting and I always thought the first time a team in the PL went into Adminstration it would be a wake up call...I thought it would happen to Leeds but it didn't it was us and the rest of PL seemed to just idly carry on.

EDIT:

WOW I wasn't going to watch but Madrid-Bayern sounds like its shaping up to be a classic so gonna watch it.

Edited by flameboy

It's good to watch 2 teams play football tonight. A pity only 1 team tried playing football last night.

Rangers owe a lot more than £9 million in taxes. That's only the amount in PAYE that Whyte didn't bother paying. Their main tax case at the moment is worth about £75 million.

Kind of makes me think that football is the reason for this double dip recession the UK has just gone into :p

Rangers owe a lot more than £9 million in taxes. That's only the amount in PAYE that Whyte didn't bother paying. Their main tax case at the moment is worth about £75 million.

I actually meant PAYE cos that's what Portsmouth won their court case over in court about 2 years ago...So many teams don't pay it or offset it against other things its a mess...

Kind of makes me think that football is the reason for this double dip recession the UK has just gone into :p

I bet the accumaltive sum is a sickening amount of money.

Ever wondered what it's like to be the Red Neville's wife receiving French lessons in his underground bunker? Wonder no more

It's a Chelsea/Bayern final! I hoped this would be the final. Now for Bayern to win it on their home turf.

Not sure who I would have wanted to face in the final, Real Madrid or a whole German city.

Great game to watch though, could have gone to either side.

Ramos' penalty was absolutely appalling.