NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

Congratulations Bayern! At least there's 1 team in the final that deserves to be there. Now go and beat the scum that is Chelsea. Knackers!

Congratulations Bayern! At least there's 1 team in the final that deserves to be there. Now go and beat the scum that is Chelsea. Knackers!

Give it a rest.

I read an article yesterday that said the Champions League Semi Finals are the best games, apart from the odd occasion the Semis always overshadow the Final. We've had two decent games this week that supports that claim.

Surely there should be a plan so that the final is always at a neutral ground.

Do Germany not have a national stadium?

The German Cup Final is played at the Olympic Stadium.

berlinolympicstadium.jpg

Germany play there and Allianz Arena I believe.

I remember when I went skiing in Austria, we drove right past the Allianz Arena. Looked brilliant in blue at night. Like this.

Pic16.jpg

But clubs put in huge bids to host it, it's extremely lucrative and why should they forgo it due to success of team? It's happened relatively few times that host has reached final... Don't see it being anymore unfair than when such a situtation happens in every international game a host nation plays.

But clubs put in huge bids to host it, it's extremely lucrative and why should they forgo it due to success of team? It's happened relatively few times that host has reached final... Don't see it being anymore unfair than when such a situtation happens in every international game a host nation plays.
It's a bit different it being the clubs actual stadium. If it's a World Cup/Euro's, the teams are made up of players from all over the country so the significance of the home stadiums are diluted.

Surely it makes sense for the finals to be at the national stadiums.

It'll be more like a neutral game with half the stadiums tickets going to corporate tarts and plebs who won them through UEFA competitions.

Hmm, true.

Whilst the Bayern players will certainly feel at home/more comfortable than Chelsea, it's not as though they'll have a full home crowd there. Still think it's a bit stupid/unfair.

Give it a rest.

I read an article yesterday that said the Champions League Semi Finals are the best games, apart from the odd occasion the Semis always overshadow the Final. We've had two decent games this week that supports that claim.

Yeah me and my housemates were talking about this earlier, they're are going to take some beating this year. Although given Chelsea's generally unbelievable run through this competition, I wouldn't put it past them to put up another spectacle. Anyway - woo Bayern! I had really wanted them to win, nice to see Ronaldo miss a penalty.

It'll be interesting - should Newcastle get 4th - to be genuinely supporting Bayern as if they were my own team. :heh:

It's a bit different it being the clubs actual stadium. If it's a World Cup/Euro's, the teams are made up of players from all over the country so the significance of the home stadiums are diluted.

Surely it makes sense for the finals to be at the national stadiums.

It's a money spinning/corporate decision clearly. It's within the interests of the bigger clubs to allow this bidding process and the merry-go-round of it all to ensure continual revenue streams to the bigger clubs. National stadiums do bid as part of it all though.

I don't really think there's any advantage other than they're used to playing at a pitch of that size. However, at this level of football that shouldn't really affect them.

They'll have an equal allocation to Chelsea and both teams have a 50/50 chance of being the 'home' team (for dressing rooms etc) I think?

both teams have a 50/50 chance of being the 'home' team (for dressing rooms etc) I think?

Thats defined by what side of the draw you come through from. Bayern will be the away team.

Yep, I've lost count of the number of times I've posted about Portsmouth in this years thread only for my post to be completely ignored and its a shame. I've seen it happen to other people.

I don't think that's all together true when Portsmouth were in the Premiership for 7 years I never got much banter in here when I posted stuff. I'm a member of the supporters form for Pompey but it's not the same when everyone has the same bias.

It's just very disheartening that this thread has almost become segregated in this way when the rest of the forum is not like that. You can go anywhere and post what you like and someone will pick it up. Just a lot of forums around the net all the threads are exactly what this thread is if that makes sense? That's why I like this forum above all else.

Yes Geoff Shreeves is a prick you could tell Ivanovic was a little bit confused about it all as he was likely caught up in the moment. Shame for the lad he has been instrumental in their entire campaign.

For what it's worth, the reason I don't post/reply to your Portsmouth posts is because they're usually about finances and stuff, and I know fuck all really about that. I know as much about revenue as I do about flying spaghetti monsters.

I do actually talk about the club quite a bit with some of the boys at school, because we've got a few Pompey supporters and some Southampton supporters, so there's a bit of rivalry there. I watch the football league show and follow how certain clubs are doing in different leagues, like Brighton (went to uni there), Rochdale (family there), and Bournemouth (Where I am atm)

Just the usual moaning really. See a lot of Coyle out messages on Facebook but when we win, they're all very quiet. People get on his back on match day but not nearly as much as they did with Megson, who never really endeared himself to the fans.

Coyle has bought some poor players, some would say Championship players, but he hasn't been helped by the injuries to Chung Yong Lee and especially Stuart Holden.

Personally, I'm behind Coyle. Even if we go down we should not sack him.

I've said it for a while...I do think Villa should be relegated this season, as their football has been pretty awful. I'd rather Bolton stay up than them. It could happen...

Anyway, great first half yesterday for the Semi-Final. I thought both penalties were soft, mind. The second half was pretty ok, but wasn't up to the standard of the first. Penalty shootout was crazy...so many bad penalties. Ramos should be sacked for that penalty. :heh:

I do think Chelsea will lose the final now. Bayern were well drilled defensively and they should have enough in attack to get through that makeshift Chelsea defence. The midfield battle is where it's important, and Bayern seemed quite strong there, too. I was impressed with how they contained Madrid.

As Ramar said, with almost all the tickets going to the corporate bigwigs, the few left for the actual fans will be split, so it's unlike a normal 'home' game for Bayern.

Anyone watching Athletico Bilbao against Sporting Lisbon?

Bilbao move the ball beautifully. They go forward with pace, and if they lose it, they get it back quickly. It's very up-tempo. Just as I speak, Llorente almost puts them two up. It's fast, flowing and attacking.

As Ramar said, with almost all the tickets going to the corporate bigwigs, the few left for the actual fans will be split, so it's unlike a normal 'home' game for Bayern.

Ticketing situations for cup finals really does my wick. I know when we got to the 2006 Final a friend of mine managed to get two tickets when she needed three. One season ticket holder randomly denied by ballot. We were in a 77,500 stadium.. Why did we get 21,000 tickets, oh yeah here's why.

UEFA Website ticket ballot (Gen Public) - 11,000

UEFA Requirements - 14,500

French Football Federation - 10,000

Arsenal - 21,000

Barcelona - 21,000

Utter rubbish.

Guardiola is stepping down at Barcelona coach at the end of the season.

Not totally unexpected but the 'shock' is that he's being replaced by his assistant manager rather than a big name.

Seems like the right time for him to leave. He's won so many trophies at the club and has been a huge success. There's only so far you can take a team and I'm not sure if there's more he could have done there. Taking a break and then trying a new challenge seems like a wise decision.

Ticketing situations for cup finals really does my wick. I know when we got to the 2006 Final a friend of mine managed to get two tickets when she needed three. One season ticket holder randomly denied by ballot. We were in a 77,500 stadium.. Why did we get 21,000 tickets, oh yeah here's why.

UEFA Website ticket ballot (Gen Public) - 11,000

UEFA Requirements - 14,500

French Football Federation - 10,000

Arsenal - 21,000

Barcelona - 21,000

Utter rubbish.

It's easy to say this but if it wasn't for such ticket allocating the Champions League wouldn't have the huge profile and be the massive success it has been...it's obviously annoying/dumb that this take chances to see football there in the stadium out of reach of fans...but that's the way footballs going these days...and has been for ages.

Guardiola is stepping down at Barcelona coach at the end of the season.

Not totally unexpected but the 'shock' is that he's being replaced by his assistant manager rather than a big name.

I'm not that shocked Guardiola came through the ranks so to speak managing Barcelona B before. I think it's very much a case of them wanting to keep continuity with someone bought into their way of playing etc...who has that intrinsic view of the team and their ethos.

Seems like the right time for him to leave. He's won so many trophies at the club and has been a huge success. There's only so far you can take a team and I'm not sure if there's more he could have done there. Taking a break and then trying a new challenge seems like a wise decision.

Yeah agreed there really is nothing else to achieve and for whatever reason he doesn't feel the need/desire to continue to see this team through and then rebuild a new one ala Fergie at Man Utd.

Finished work at 5am, grabbed two hours power nap, heading up to Stoke in a bit. The things I do for football.

Finished work at 5am, grabbed two hours power nap, heading up to Stoke in a bit. The things I do for football.

I hope you lose! :kiss:

Gareth Bale uncertain over Spurs future

Three possible teams to get into that fourth spot. No guarantee that fourth will even get them a Champions League place if Chelsea beat Bayern. So, you'd have to say that the odds are against Spurs to get into the Champions League, as they are fifth at the moment.

I could definitely see some of the big names leaving the club if Harry does become England manager or if they don't get fourth or above.