NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

could still slip up against Blackburn away on wednesday though..

Hey, don't confuse us with those inbreds! :p I hope so, but I wouldn't worry about it. We've been woeful at the Reebok this season.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa Harry won't be getting the England job. Love it.

I actually think Woy could be a good manager for England, as long as the likes of Terry and Lampard respect him.

I don't really seem why the next manager has to be English. We're shooting ourselves in the foot by doing this, as we're limiting our options.

I don't really seem why the next manager has to be English. We're shooting ourselves in the foot by doing this, as we're limiting our options.

Who would be your choice then?

The problem is, most quality, foreign football managers wouldn't be willing to give up their positions at top clubs for the part time job as coach of England.

I think only those who are English really feel like it is worth it, and the media storm surrounding the job is probably very off putting too.

I'm not saying that he must be English, I agree that there's nothing wrong with foreign coaches.

And as we've seen with Capello, previous success doesn't necessary mean you'll be a great England manager - although the fact his English was crap didn't really help him.

Who would be your choice then?

The problem is, most quality, foreign football managers wouldn't be willing to give up their positions at top clubs for the part time job as coach of England.

I think only those who are English really feel like it is worth it, and the media storm surrounding the job is probably very off putting too.

I'm not saying that he must be English, I agree that there's nothing wrong with foreign coaches.

And as we've seen with Capello, previous success doesn't necessary mean you'll be a great England manager - although the fact his English was crap didn't really help him.

There's tons of managers out there. Like you say, there's some that are already in jobs. If the right deal comes along, there's nothing to say they won't. What about the likes of Guus Hiddink or Frank Rijkaard? Hiddink has the international pedigree and has already managed some of the players in the Premier League, whilst its also clear that Rijkaard is special, winning La Liga and Champions League with Barcelona.

You got it spot on when you talked about the media storm. The media don't help at all, and they sabotage our hopes when every competition comes around almost as much as the manager and players do.

I like Roy and think he's done a great job for West Brom this season. But, there's a massive difference between being West Brom manager and England manager. There is so much pressure, and the reason why I think he's done so well with Brom is because the pressure has been off him.

I wanted Hodgson as England boss in the late nineties when he was manager at Blackburn I think.

Good choice though we'll still win fuck all regardless of our manager simply because of the way our domestic game is run at all levels.

There's tons of managers out there. Like you say, there's some that are already in jobs. If the right deal comes along, there's nothing to say they won't. What about the likes of Guus Hiddink or Frank Rijkaard? Hiddink has the international pedigree and has already managed some of the players in the Premier League, whilst its also clear that Rijkaard is special, winning La Liga and Champions League with Barcelona.

You got it spot on when you talked about the media storm. The media don't help at all, and they sabotage our hopes when every competition comes around almost as much as the manager and players do.

I like Roy and think he's done a great job for West Brom this season. But, there's a massive difference between being West Brom manager and England manager. There is so much pressure, and the reason why I think he's done so well with Brom is because the pressure has been off him.

Guus Hiddink - being paid megabucks in Russia.

Rijkaard - being paid megabucks in Saudi Arabia. (I didn't realise this)

So maybe he would be interested, but I think it does take a lot to inspire the real great managers to become international bosses/especially England manager - it's a part time job with too much pressure, little chance of glory.

I think to get one of the best managers you need to either offer a lot of money (in contrast, Hodgson is out of contract at the end of the season and won't be after mega wages), or the person needs to REALLY want the job. And why would a dutchman be extremely interested in getting England to win, a job that they will most likely fail and therefore face constant hounding from the media?

I don't think we should write off Woy, what happened in his time at Liverpool wasn't totally his fault (some of his signings were terrible though!), he's managed teams like Inter in the past, and I just read on Twitter he took Switzerland to 3rd in the World Rankings. Now I think FIFA's world rankings are a load of bollocks, but that's gotta rank as some kind of achievement, right?

Walter Smith would probably do a great job but he's obviously not high profile enough, and the fact he's from North of the Border.

Guus Hiddink - being paid megabucks in Russia.

Rijkaard - being paid megabucks in Saudi Arabia. (I didn't realise this)

So maybe he would be interested, but I think it does take a lot to inspire the real great managers to become international bosses/especially England manager - it's a part time job with too much pressure, little chance of glory.

I think to get one of the best managers you need to either offer a lot of money (in contrast, Hodgson is out of contract at the end of the season and won't be after mega wages), or the person needs to REALLY want the job. And why would a dutchman be extremely interested in getting England to win, a job that they will most likely fail and therefore face constant hounding from the media?

I don't think we should write off Woy, what happened in his time at Liverpool wasn't totally his fault (some of his signings were terrible though!), he's managed teams like Inter in the past, and I just read on Twitter he took Switzerland to 3rd in the World Rankings. Now I think FIFA's world rankings are a load of bollocks, but that's gotta rank as some kind of achievement, right?

It would take a lot of money. Even getting Capello to become England manager was a massive move, imo. Lots of money involved. I could see somebody like Rijkaard wanting it because there are some promising youngsters that are coming through that I think he would enjoy coaching. I have no doubt that England would play great football under him. Like you say, there's the media hounding, but I think you'd expect to get that from being a National Team manager, or at least a national team manager with lots of big names. You'd get the same from being France manager, Italian, Argentinian, etc.

I do like Roy and I blame his problems at Liverpool down to the running of the club by the owners more than anything. But, it's taken a fair amount of time for the FA to get from Capello stepping down to this particular moment. I'm still not entirely convinced that going for an English manager is the best route to take. The failings of the last manager weren't down to him being foreign. There's far more problems than that. If he gets the job, I hope he does well, because I do like the man.

Like I said on this thread a few pages back Roy is a lot more experienced of the big stage than people give him credit for. Liverpool can't be held against him too much. See for me he is better at getting the most out of players than Harry. Harry has only had success at clubs he has spent a crap ton of money and has proven to be very tactically naive on numerous occasions. Also he has been an international manager on more than one occasion and his Switzerland team were genuinely good.

I'm not even bothered about Engerland, they can do what they want. End of the day, we're going to be shit whatever happens.

I'm not even bothered about Engerland, they can do what they want. End of the day, we're going to be shit whatever happens.

Yup you can't polish a turd :laughing:

Anyway there are "rumours" Harry has been approached but wanted the same wages as Capello and spurs wanted £15m compensation,,,

Just seen Suarez's goal from yesterday. Excellent goal, but it's definitely not better than Crouch's against City. I also have to agree with Ramar and say that I prefer Di Santo's goal as well. Still, they're all amazing goals, all of them.

Tomorrow...so excited and nervous at the same time. I always feel sick before these types of games, it's big. I'll even be relieved if we get a 0-0 from there, wouldn't care.

As long as they don't pick Kenny.

It's ok he wouldn't have to look in his Grandson's sticker book, no transfers involved in the international game. :awesome:

In other news; PSG can suck a nut ruined my fivefold today. Had a quid on PSV, Ajax, Juventus, AC Milan and PSG. Return of £30. I am cry.

Terrible set of results for Newcastle this weekend then. Horrible feeling that might just be 4th gone now, even if we win all of our remaining (very difficult) games, we now have to hope Spurs slip up.

Of course these things change very quickly so I'll wait until the Chelsea match until I become too defeatist. :)

Just seen Suarez's goal from yesterday. Excellent goal, but it's definitely not better than Crouch's against City. I also have to agree with Ramar and say that I prefer Di Santo's goal as well. Still, they're all amazing goals, all of them.

Tomorrow...so excited and nervous at the same time. I always feel sick before these types of games, it's big. I'll even be relieved if we get a 0-0 from there, wouldn't care.

I think you'll lose tomorrow unfortunately. But I reckon the title will still be yours as I think City will slip up against Newcastle

I find myself approving Hodgson's appointment. Think he could do really well.

England will get to at least the Quarter Finals under him, you heard it here first.

I'll even be relieved if we get a 0-0 from there, wouldn't care.

I think that if Man Utd win or draw, then the title is theirs. It's only if they lose that they will be in trouble.

If they do draw 0-0 then they'll still be three points ahead with two easier games to go.

I'm going to save this quote for when you're talking about England during the Euros. You'll (and every other English person who says the same) either be bashing them or loving them at some point. ;)

Looking forward to Manchester derby tonight. I can see City slipping up and perhaps losing composure. United are far more experienced in matches like this and I can see them taking something from it.

from the daily snail;

Clearly, there is opposition within the Club England board against Redknapp despite FA denials that Brooking has an issue dating back to when Billy Bonds was replaced by Redknapp as West Ham boss.

Last year Hodgson was sacked by Liverpool after a brief but disastrous spell at Anfield. There are echoes of Brian Clough here, the FA ignoring the nation’s voice — and the desire to see the man who guided Tottenham into the Champions League in 2010 and masterminded those stunning performances against the giants of Milan — and going for the safer option.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2137088/Roy-Hodgson-set-England-manager.html#ixzz1tWNBDWC5