N-Europe

Seth MacFarlane Rebooting The Flintstones

Ashley

Urr...you what.

Seth MacFarlane is one of the busiest creatives in show business -- and he just got a lot busier. I've just learned that he's finally realized one of his life's ambitions: to reboot The Flintstones as a TV and film property. My scoop today follows years of very complicated negotiations between 20th Century Fox TV, where McFarlane is based, and Warner Bros Television, which owns the rights to the series after absorbing The Flintstones' famed producer Hanna-Barbera. Not only did the suits have a ton of deal points to work through, but I hear the "Yabba Dabba Doo" prehistoric family sitcom's rightholders were somewhat concerned how the classic series would be interpreted given MacFarlane's brand of raunchy comedies like Family Guy. (But, if you ask me, Universal's dreadful Flintstones films were the real abomination ...)

And then this update:

Fox just announced the deal at its upfront this afternoon. Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly said production on the animated series will start immediately for a 2013 premiere. He hinted that the deal for the show closed just hours before the presentation today -- just like i told you. In a video, MacFarlane shed some light on his plans for the remake: The characters will look the same but he'll introduce new technology, like "What is the animal version of an iPad?” He said that one of the first things he ever drew as a child was characters from the classic series.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/yabba-dabba-doo-seth-macfarlane-finally-gets-go-ahead-to-reboot-the-flintstones/

The iPad line makes me facepalm.

I'm not a huge fan of his work personally and I'm not against the idea per say but...it's odd.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really can't stand any of Seth MacFarlane's TV shows, but I'm still somewhat impressed by his ability to get so many shows on the air at once.

It's not difficult, in fact its an old video game trick. Change the textures and voila, one show = hundreds!

macfarlane_brainstorm.jpg

:p

Erm..........

If Seth sticks to the original formula that made Flintstones what it was back in the day, then yes. If he takes the formula of his other shows (American Dad, Family Guy, Cleveland Show) then i have no idea. Could be good, could be bad. Only time will tell.

I think only Cleveland is supposed to be "lovable" :heh: The others are complete assholes and they know it.

Anyway, my thoughts:

-Family Guy: Most overrated show on television, for too many reasons for me to list (see Magnus' picture for an idea). I hate this thing, except for some of the earlier episodes, which never air anymore, anyway.

-American Dad: Pretty good, actually. Surges of clever humour once in a while, and unnecessary references are kept to decent-to-low levels. It's always enjoyable, except for Roger, who I can't stand. He's just a string of unfunny jokes that last too long.

-Cleveland Show: Much better as a "wacky family" comedy. Has shades of raunchy humour and references, but it's generally lighter in both.

Seeing the Cleveland Show makes me think that a milder version of that could work as a template for the Flintstones, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm sure Seth McFarlane didn't pop onto this earth born a total dick, and so I'm thinking he might actually not totally fuck up the Flintstones. It'd be nice to see him doing something different like this, actually.

It's always enjoyable, except for Roger, who I can't stand. He's just a string of unfunny jokes that last too long.

Blasphemy. Roger is genius.

Does this furniture polish have alcohol in it? [drinks bottle] Hmm, tastes like I might die.

Possibly the most amazing line ever,

A subject telling the artist what he can and can't do? That's like a soup can telling Warhol where to buy speed.

Best character McFarlane has created.

I agree, you have to love Roger! Out of the three, The Cleveland Show is my favourite now. I find it a lot funnier than Family Guy, even though I still love the show. American Dad! is awesome as well but for me, it's The Cleveland Show every time. It never fails to make me laugh....actually, neither does American Dad!

Really the Cleveland show is good? i only watched the pilot and the first episode and thought it was terrible! so it gets better after that?

As long as its written with the same calibre as the first four series of family guy and the last few series of american dad then it should be good

Family guy has gone down hill, the complete change in character dynamic is ridiculous

f432d64a.jpg

As family guy's declined American Dad has become so awesome, the Vietnam war re-enactment episode is amazing

so if he retains that level of writing it could be awesome

I'm reminded of the episode of family guy where he had Fred flintsone on an episode of cops now though

you can tell Seth loves the show though with how many times he's referenced it in his shows

Edited by Mr_Odwin
Fixed youtube link